Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Do they let you keep your A-10 when you retire? :):
    They should. It is time for it to retire. Russian air defenses are still very potent and the A-10, as do most non-stealth aircraft, has a particular allergy to the S400 SAM. I'd take an Apache over an A-10 at this point. It'd rip an armored column to shreads while safely hiding behind a hill.

If I were going to be in a non-stealth airplane, it'd be an F-18G Growler. It'd be fun to take out the S400's and just about any other radar-guided SAMs. It'd clear a nice path for those A-10's. But I'd still be very nervous about shoulder fired IR SAMS. The Russians do have some newer ones that are very deadly.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I need to find it, but I have heard the phrase "Cheap Chinese Tires" thrown around...
    Probably. Even worse is that they are old and have sat without moving for far too long.

I heard a great quote that must've come from the US military and applies perfectly here: "Amateurs think about strategy. Professionals think about logistics."

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They should. It is time for it to retire. Russian air defenses are still very potent and the A-10, as do most non-stealth aircraft, has a particular allergy to the S400 SAM. I'd take an Apache over an A-10 at this point. It'd rip an armored column to shreads while safely hiding behind a hill.

If I were going to be in a non-stealth airplane, it'd be an F-18G Growler. It'd be fun to take out the S400's and just about any other radar-guided SAMs. It'd clear a nice path for those A-10's. But I'd still be very nervous about shoulder fired IR SAMS. The Russians do have some newer ones that are very deadly.
    Imagine having to buy your own ammo for your A-10 as a civilian though! :faint:

3,900 rounds per minute and each round costs over $100? :crying:

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    They could have the most expensive western tires and they'd still pop like that because they don't understand that you have to move them at least once a month and monitor their condition. Most of them are many years old and have just sat still. Many also in direct sunlight. Not a bad idea to keep them covered, as well.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

More farmers liberating stuff.

I would love to have my own BTR-80.

I've seen a few videos showing farmers towing tanks, and various APCs ... but where are the Russian crews?

They just left on foot and left farmers take their vehicles worth millions without fighting?

tractor.jpg

croatian-tractor.jpg

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think the gist is, they run out of gas. And the bored hungry Russians inside abandon them

I've seen a few videos showing farmers towing tanks, and various APCs ... but where are the Russian crews?

They just left on foot and left farmers take their vehicles worth millions without fighting?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They could have the most expensive western tires and they'd still pop like that because they don't understand that you have to move them at least once a month and monitor their condition. Most of them are many years old and have just sat still. Many also in direct sunlight. Not a bad idea to keep them covered, as well.
    Exactly.. it doesn't help things. Russian ground forces are ill prepared..

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That truck shown is a Pantsir 21 worth $14 million USD.
    You would imagine they would have enough money for tire changes, but as you said maybe money isn't the issue.

The Ukrainians seem to have captured a few of those Pantsir trucks ... the tires look fine on this one.

275637814_300536828844982_296800196002458229_n_1300x820.jpg

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Uh... we did... Back in the ****ing 70s.

It goes so fast it actually begins to glow.

When it comes to military capabilities we are the best and the first in pretty much every technology. Never doubt that for a second. Propaganda attempts to hide or deny this fact often.

Our current known ICBM interceptor runs mach 8.2 making it hypersonic as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_High_Altitude_Area_Defense

Also we have stealth cruise missiles that can be mass fired from B2s.

IIRC the Sprint was an ABM. Not a land-attack missile.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

tractor.jpg

croatian-tractor.jpg
    A couple flags here, John Deere in the top pic and a MiG-21 in the bottom. I guess if I grabbed a MiG I'd drive through town too.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Story says target was an underground warehouse, but unless the hypervelocity was used to aid in ground penetration there is no point to using a hypersonic munition when launched from such a close range, as none of its unique capabilities would be of any use

Looking at the pictures of that "underground warehouse" it looked like a vacant field to me. Maybe they are putting the spin on a weapon that has guidance issues. I remember some years ago there was talk about a high speed torpedo using cavitation technology to make it impossible to escape from, but it turned out to be poorly controlled. Boomers here will remember the early 70s and the Mig-25s estimated super capabilities when in reality it wasn't much more than a manned rocket. I'll file the new missile under "wait and see".

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    You would imagine they would have enough money for tire changes, but as you said maybe money isn't the issue.

The Ukrainians seem to have captured a few of those Pantsir trucks ... the tires look fine on this one.

IT might be newer or they may care more on their latest and greatest. But I've seen pictures of convoys with blown tires where there isn't a scratch on the truck. The source on the tire and upkeep issue is a private contractor for the US military who is a logistics expert.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

Ashtray was full?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom