Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sober assessment from Victor David Hanson...

There are two key points that VDH makes two of which are contributing factors in the current conflict and is the focus of my main criticism outside of Russia's military action which is a separate issue and that is of our own government's foreign policy propensity to meddle in other countries internal affairs which ultimately exacerbates the conflict resulting in dragging us deeper into it.

Point #1 that VDH makes is in regards to Putin's concerns about the US/EU's direct influence over Ukraine's domestic affairs and politics.

"Ukraine and the United States previously should have stayed out of each other’s domestic affairs and politics"

#2 is in regards to possible NATO expansion which Ukraine made it as one of their stated goals right in it's constitution and that is to join NATO. Also the US/EU's up arming of Ukraine both of which triggered Putin's security concerns over potential expansion right up to their border. One of Putin's goals is to stop the encroachment and for Ukraine to become a neutral buffer State free from US/EU/NATO influence.

"Russia for centuries relied on buffer states between Europe — lost when its Warsaw Pact satellite members joined NATO after its defeat in the Cold War"

Putin saw both of these as a growing threat to Russia in his mind. That coupled with the conflict in the Donbas region of Ukraine all of which were contributing factors that prompted him to take action.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The issue with providing western equipment to non NATO nations.

Our equipment is standardized so a UK supply dude can issue equipment based on a NSN. The radios are compatible.
    A US guy can read a manual in English and work on a German vehicle. Our ammo is interchangeable. And on and on.

Ivan and Igor fixes most things with a hammer.
    (Rooskie accent) Yuri uses large screwdriver as well as hammer. Sometimes Yuri hits jet with toolbox. Yuri is hated by Supply Troops, only provides half of part number and calls everything “broke thing that needs replaced.”

• Haha
    Reactions: KG1

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I will say one thing about all this.
    We are being feed news about this situation from the same media that helped install a fraudulent president in the United States.
    We are seeing what they want us to see.
    Thanks
    AA

Only if you're sole source of news is corporate media... but it's always been the case of "if it bleeds, it leads..."

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Wish they had some A10s. Man, they could tear up those conveys
    I'm sure that it's nothing, but there seems to have been a lot more flights of the Hogs around the Fort in the last few days. The 122nd Fighter Wing of the Air National Guard is based here, and it's common to see one or two daily flights of two A-10's, but now I'm seeing three or four flights. Again, prolly nothin'. But I do enjoy hearing and seeing those magnificent beasts overhead!

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    I'm sure that it's nothing, but there seems to have been a lot more flights of the Hogs around the Fort in the last few days. The 122nd Fighter Wing of the Air National Guard is based here, and it's common to see one or two daily flights of two A-10's, but now I'm seeing three or four flights. Again, prolly nothin'. But I do enjoy hearing and seeing those magnificent beasts overhead!
    6 went over my house just a few days ago

Reactions: oze

Flash-hider

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    They been flying over my house almost everyday out of Grissom. Son seen one come down low in field next to him below tree top level, never seen that out of them before.
    Around 5-6 years ago I was getting the cows up for the evening and I heard something to the west of me. I was out about 200' from the woods and 2 A-10's came over the woods and just as they got directly over the top of me 1 broke north and the other broke south. It was an unbelievable sight.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Maybe there is something to it; tip of the spear needs to stay sharp and all that. Training in case they are needed in the theater they were designed for.
    Maybe some of this. We're also reaching the end of the appropriations year, so it's time to spend/use everything that's been shelved so far.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Rust's flight probably lead to some job losses, much like the Ukraine invasion today. Embarrassing to say the least for the USSR air defense people.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Only if you're sole source of news is corporate media... but it's always been the case of "if it bleeds, it leads..."

Speaking of…

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Kamikaze drones! Completely misleading, they are UCAVs (Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicles.) That is also misleading, these are guided cruise missiles with loiter time.

At $6K a pop, I knew these weren't coming from Lockheed-Martin (I HATE Lockheed-Martin) or Raytheon or Northrup-Grumman or anybody like that.

Comes in a case that weighs 120 pounds and is 6 feet long, launches from what looks like a mortar, 40 km range and 40 minutes of loiter time.

Site says the missile weighs 33 pounds, I figure 15 pounds of stuff that goes BOOM. Touchscreen control with all the cool stuff, cruises at 70 mph and is really small. Anti-armor and anti-personnel warheads. Ability to hand-off (your buddies in the next county can take control for targeting.)

This is more like things I've read about and saw at the USAF Museum in Dayton than what I saw in my days in the USAF.

Paging @Brad69 it says it can be air-launched but this looks more like your lane than mine.

Keep in mind it was in 2005 when I did the research on this: while at the USAF Senior NCO Academy SMSgt KellyinAvon did a speech on the JDAM which gave us bang for the buck with precision munitions. A JDAM guidance kit was $21K. An ALCM (air-launched cruise missile) with a GPS guidance package was $1.2M. A T-LAM (Tomahawk Land Attack Missile) was $775K. A Sensor Fused Weapon (40 warheads launched from a cluster bomb unit that tracked individual targets and could be three different minitions depending on the target) cost $1M to hit the pickle button.

$6K for a precision munition? DANG!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom