• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Decided to test for a few minutes today.

Sako #1
    SUmunYp.jpg

QUAD P04S with a Lilja Sundberg taper bbl

Sako #2

BQFE8Ap.jpg

FINNFIRE P94s Varmint threaded w/o the suppressor.

Ammo for today. The Lapua Super Club has been a top performer for me and it's no longer in production so I've been hording what I have left.
    hd6ROkO.jpg

Targets.
    in8HgqU.jpg

QQL5J8O.jpg

The Lilja will outshoot the Sako Varmint bbl. At least w/o the suppressor. Best group of the day is that Lapua/Lilja combination top right on the red sheet. Didn't measure any of them but that one is under .125, I'm guessing. All the shots except ones that I pulled would have killed a squirrel with a headshot. The trigger on the P94S is much better than the Quad. If it had a better trigger I wouldn't have to hold it quite so tight. Better scope on the P94S for precision work too. Finer reticle.

Last edited:

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    My build from the early 2000's - Fajen Thumbhole Silhouette laminated stock, Clerke SS Bull Barrel, don't remember the trigger kit I put in it. Its a nice shooter,
    I need to get it out and give it some range time. Haven't shot it in a couple years. I have been on a 22 mag kick lately, cant stop buying them :rolleyes:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Nice shooting Patience and thanks for taking the time to post pics and share them with us. I'm enjoying seeing what everyone else is doing. This is fun stuff.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Excellent shooting and beautiful guns patience!

Beautiful? :dunno:
    Pretty is as pretty does in this case, I guess. I call the PO4s "Old Ugly". Definitely a squirrel hunters dream, but no beauty contest winner. The stock on the Finnfire is a varmint stock that the last owner had painted yellow for benchrest. There is real plain walnut under that duracoat.

CZ Top

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Vigo Co.
    Had a fine range trip yesterday. Got to try some new options and resolve some ideas.

The 15-22 is out for steel challenge but remains a fun and accurate gun and a great trainer for its bigger brother AR. Will likely put a trigger in at some point, but it's back burner for now.

Steel Challenge is my thing and is my focus for firearm setup. My main pistol is the all stainless MK IV target. VQ/TK parts and it shoots great. Very heavy, which I like, and steady as an anvil. But it weighs about the same and swinging and stopping it has to be accommodated. So I recently got the aluminum frame version and ran it through some stages. It may just do the trick- Nearly 10 oz lighter but still stable and a great shooter while noticeably easier to move and stop. Both pistols work dang good for me but the new one will shoot the next match.

Best part was how awesome the Kidd 10/22 trigger turned out to be. It's really just what I was hoping for. Super clean break and super short reset, just what I wanted. The rifle now runs as fast as I can shoot it and feels like a change from horse and buggy to Maserati. Now I need to learn to drive again. It's all stock otherwise and I'm exploring options for stock and barrel next. I see fun ahead on this one!

I got inspired by you guys and your crazy small groups at distance and set up an impromptu tabletop shoot. 6" paper plate at 35 yds, the depth of the bay. The 6moa dot covered a good 50-60% of the target but 10 shot groups came in consistently quarter sized with 1 or 2 fliers. A new thing for me, I enjoyed this a lot and now have the bug to learn that as best I can. So, rimfire bolt rifle here we come!

I continue to learn a lot from here and appreciate all the information. Hopefully something here may help someone too.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Hogue grips installed on the Wrangler. Turbo noted that they look comically large, and I'd have to partially agree... They do feel great though, and I feel the rubber fits with the cerakote better than wood would.
    f7ee5902d55ef0a99e910d9aafe83fb8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hogue grips installed on the Wrangler. Turbo noted that they look comically large, and I'd have to partially agree... They do feel great though, and I feel the rubber fits with the cerakote better than wood would.
    f7ee5902d55ef0a99e910d9aafe83fb8.jpg

Grips look sooo comfortable!
    Would have liked them on a Taurus Judge that I had to order larger grips after the 1st time shooting.

Besides, the cat matches the cerakote perfectly. :laugh:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My son picked up a CZ 455 Ultra-Lux today. It’s quite the interesting .22 with that 28” barrel. The trigger is really nice too. He’s going to put a diopter sight on it because his 22 year old eyes don’t need 24X magnification to see a target at 50 yards like mine do.

We’ll take the tarted up 10/22 I put together along with his new CZ to the range this weekend to see what they can do.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Did a little sorting last night with Remington Thunderbolts and my new scale. Out of 83 rounds I found 13 different weights ranging from 3.23 grams up to 3.40 grams, with a majority of them at 3.36/3.37 grams. That ammo is one of four I'm hoping to test this weekend based on weight sorting and I wanted to include it because it has consistently been one of the worst in regards to group sizes across my rifles. The plan is to do a head to head comparison of 5-shot groups that have rounds of the same weight versus 5-shot groups of rounds that have various weights in them.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    My new VQ extractors showed up for the 15-22 rifles today. Gen2 model install went fine, no issues. Gen1 model install, extractor was noticeably harder to move with a spot in it's travel that would catch also. Swapped extractors from one to the other and made it worse, would hardly move at all now. Narrowed it down to tolerance stacking issues. Ended up having to swap extractor plungers from one bolt assy to the other. Now both extractors move free and easy.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My new VQ extractors showed up for the 15-22 rifles today. Gen2 model install went fine, no issues. Gen1 model install, extractor was noticeably harder to move with a spot in it's travel that would catch also. Swapped extractors from one to the other and made it worse, would hardly move at all now. Narrowed it down to tolerance stacking issues. Ended up having to swap extractor plungers from one bolt assy to the other. Now both extractors move free and easy.

Proving, once again, why one is never enough.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Grips look sooo comfortable!
    Would have liked them on a Taurus Judge that I had to order larger grips after the 1st time shooting.

Besides, the cat matches the cerakote perfectly.
    I've become a big fan of Hogue. No complaints on anything I own from them. My 10/22 is in an overmould stock, the MKIII Lite has the wraparound grips, the Dan Wesson 15-2 came with a set of the monogrips, and now this. Price is typically good as well.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My son picked up a CZ 455 Ultra-Lux today. It’s quite the interesting .22 with that 28” barrel. The trigger is really nice too. He’s going to put a diopter sight on it because his 22 year old eyes don’t need 24X magnification to see a target at 50 yards like mine do.

We’ll take the tarted up 10/22 I put together along with his new CZ to the range this weekend to see what they can do.

Let me know when you guys plan to go and I may tag along. Got the new glass and should have it ready to test by the weekend... :yesway:

Did a little sorting last night with Remington Thunderbolts and my new scale. Out of 83 rounds I found 13 different weights ranging from 3.23 grams up to 3.40 grams, with a majority of them at 3.36/3.37 grams. That ammo is one of four I'm hoping to test this weekend based on weight sorting and I wanted to include it because it has consistently been one of the worst in regards to group sizes across my rifles. The plan is to do a head to head comparison of 5-shot groups that have rounds of the same weight versus 5-shot groups of rounds that have various weights in them.

Interested to hear your results.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Love it! I learn so much from what you and others are doing about ammo!
    I am at the level where I just ordered my 3rd case of CCI Standard Velocity and am glad to be stocking up on it, especially after reading an article someone posted about how it did very well as opposed to expensive .22LR rounds that I'm not going to buy for normal range use.

I'm so jealous! That is one of the 3 brands that Areoflyer recommended to me when I started looking at .22LR rifles when I discovered this thing called "a scope." :rofl: I CAN SEE!!!
    I loved my Henry lever-action, but wasn't willing to buy a scope for it (sold it), but the Nikon I have on my 10/22 is great as an introductory inexpensive one.
    Therefore, I have to find out if I'd rather have a lever-action or a bolt-action if I get another rifle.
    I only had bolt-action or tube-fed semi-automatics in my youth.

Top Bottom