• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The 10/22 sporter had a lot of forend pressure. I removed about 75% of that and shot it...........made it worse LOL.
    It now is free floated.
    Barely.
    Now I have some action rock, so will tape up and test this weekend.
    It is a beater, but a cool one and it feels fantastic.

The dilemma continues............

The 10/22 sporter feels the best and shoots the worst.
    The CZ455 is OK, feel and shooting. Expected a bit more on that last bit.
    The 10/22 GM/Titan shoots fine, but is a bit heavy and the grip me no likey.

As little as I shoot it's tempting to just throw the Leupold Freedom EFR 3-9X on the GM/Titan and dump the others.

But in a .22 rf..............I dunno, feel is super important.

For those that like, love or even hate a 10/22..............you need to handle a '66-'71 sporter.
    Told a guy about it and he was "You're FOS".

Then he handled one and was like, "hey that does feel pretty good".

Right off the bat.

Yeah, carry it, shoot one, handle it for a day or so afield.
    It IMHO is THE 10/22 stock to have (at least in dimension/style).

Shame there's no synth version.

It's a beat up 250 dollar rifle that pulls on me...............it is ridiculous.
    It might even be a sickness ;)

Definitely maddening.

There are several guys over on RFC that have mentioned some 10/22s will perform better with a pressure point on the barrel. It could be the action rock, it may just be the barrel though too. How is the condition of the rifling?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There are several guys over on RFC that have mentioned some 10/22s will perform better with a pressure point on the barrel. It could be the action rock, it may just be the barrel though too. How is the condition of the rifling?

I expected action rock after free float.
    IMHO this one had too much pressure.

Worst was a '67 standard that was inlet wrong.
    Horrendous pressure, like the dang think was choked Imp Cyl.
    Reduced that and it improved quite a bit.
    Not great but went from crap to reg 10/22 zone.

My '67 SPC had a Volq hammer swapped in and did .75 at 50. No stock mods.
    I'd be happy if this '70 would do it.

There was side pressure on the '70 model, once I got some clearance up front.
    So that too has been taken care of.

It may need some pressure up front, but if so, it will be there, upward and not anything else.

Big spider on floor............no gun.................hang on...............

cat is worthless

Anyway...............I'll just tape it up and see what it does. If it responds favorably, have accraglass and dye to do it permanent.

The bbl appears to be fine. Nothing glaringly bad.
    Have an extra pre warning bbl I can try too.

But no GM sporter laying around. Rimfire Sport and Custom only has stainless in stock.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got OK groups w this pig before.
    Cold bbl, first 5 were crap, next 5 decent, and all crap after.
    This was repeatable.
    So with the funky inlet, warp and whatever...........at some point it liked what it had.
    Hence the free float, to take it to nothing and then experiment w pressure point.
    Worst case just add bedding at the front of stock, to not put pressure on, just eliminate action rock.

The ol lady says keep all three .22 rf.
    I say I only need one.

Of course if I do end up w just one, then that kinda sorta does leave a spot for a Sav/Anschutz 141M............

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love reading this thread. :ingo: :thumbsup:

It has caused me to look and buy a rimfire rifle b/c of this thing called scope. :laugh:
    I can see: it's a miracle! Another level of fun! :rockwoot:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Hence the free float, to take it to nothing and then experiment w pressure point.
    Worst case just add bedding at the front of stock, to not put pressure on, just eliminate action rock...

I would suggest bedding the first 1-2 inches of the barrel just in front of the receiver to eliminate the action rock and leave the rest of the barrel free floated as a starting point.

Snug the back end of the receiver down with several wraps of surgical tubing while the bedding cures. May want to bed the back of the receiver at the same time.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Just received an email from Kidd...my barreled action is shipping today.:rockwoot:

Got here quicker than expected but USPS decided the box needed to be completely saturated with water to the point there was not enough box left for the LGS to give me. Good on Kidd for using a heavy plastic bag inside.

FDuaQmD.jpg

Fortunately I couldn't find anything wrong with the gun so it came home with me.

28buYUH.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Got here quicker than expected but USPS decided the box needed to be completely saturated with water to the point there was not enough box left for the LGS to give me. Good on Kidd for using a heavy plastic bag inside.

FDuaQmD.jpg

Fortunately I couldn't find anything wrong with the gun so it came home with me.

28buYUH.jpg

Happy to hear you got your shipment early! :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Quick question from someone who hears barrel names but has no frame of reference.
    Volquartsen or Kidd: which barrel for which function?
    Is one cheaper than the other, or one for longer distances?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Quick question from someone who hears barrel names but has no frame of reference.
    Volquartsen or Kidd: which barrel for which function?
    Is one cheaper than the other, or one for longer distances?

The short answer, Kidd has a fantastic reputation for accuracy while being less expensive than Volquartsen.

The big names for 10/22 barrels that I can quickly think of are: Kidd, Volquartsen, Tactical Solutions, Green Mountain and Whistle Pig. What to go with is dependent on use and cosmetics. 10/22 barrels could turn into a multi page discussion.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The short answer, Kidd has a fantastic reputation for accuracy while being less expensive than Volquartsen.

The big names for 10/22 barrels that I can quickly think of are: Kidd, Volquartsen, Tactical Solutions, Green Mountain and Whistle Pig. What to go with is dependent on use and cosmetics. 10/22 barrels could turn into a multi page discussion.

Add Feddersen barrels to that list. Also their receivers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Marlin 25N. Got it from a long time friend. Like brand new. Had the Nikon 3/9X40 and bought the rings.
    K8CV1N7.jpg

It is an older model but in great shape
    OzT3ji7.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Did a little putting together tonight and put the first 5 rounds through it...

JtFltjl.jpg

I'm pretty sure I will want to install the cheek rest I bought but wanted to shoot it some to decide on placement.

Top Bottom