• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did a little putting together tonight and put the first 5 rounds through it...

JtFltjl.jpg

I'm pretty sure I will want to install the cheek rest I bought but wanted to shoot it some to decide on placement.

Hey! That looks awfully familiar! :cool:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Hey! That looks awfully familiar! :cool:

Yeah it does...lol. As you mentioned it's a little heavier than I had anticipated. Good thing it's not a woods gun.

I was surprised the bolt doesn't lock open on an empty mag. That will take some getting used to.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah it does...lol. As you mentioned it's a little heavier than I had anticipated. Good thing it's not a woods gun.

I was surprised the bolt doesn't lock open on an empty mag. That will take some getting used to.

No idea why, but Ruger never built that into the design. All these years of production, never added that. The Thompson Center version has the last round hold open though.

It is a little heavy, but I noticed pretty quick the end of the barrel is quite stable. I think it’s a good trade off.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The rimfire stuff going around sure is catchy. For kicks, I got my old Glenfield Marlin 25 out and did a refresh on it. I got this rifle when I was 12 back in 1975. I polished the trigger contact points and took a fine stone to the sear. The trigger is very crisp but came in at over 4.25 lbs. I found an old M1 Carbine spring that fit and is just a bit lighter that brings the pull down to about 3 lbs but still passes the bump test. While refinishing the stock, I free floated the barrel, gave it a coat of dark walnut stain and 4 coats of tung oil. I put a Hawke 6-24x44 Vantage SF on it and am getting ready to take it out for it’s first test run to see how it runs.

I’m not expecting a whole lot out of it but I’d like to be able to bust lollipops at 50 yards with ease when done.

86edd8ff152833745d65950b0d9d7459.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The rimfire stuff going around sure is catchy. For kicks, I got my old Glenfield Marlin 25 out and did a refresh on it. I got this rifle when I was 12 back in 1975. I polished the trigger contact points and took a fine stone to the sear. The trigger is very crisp but came in at over 4.25 lbs. I found an old M1 Carbine spring that fit and is just a bit lighter that brings the pull down to about 3 lbs but still passes the bump test. While refinishing the stock, I free floated the barrel, gave it a coat of dark walnut stain and 4 coats of tung oil. I put a Hawke 6-24x44 Vantage SF on it and am getting ready to take it out for it’s first test run to see how it runs.

I’m not expecting a whole lot out of it but I’d like to be able to bust lollipops at 50 yards with ease when done.

Looks very nice sir... :thumbsup:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Very nice job 88.

The older rifles may surprise us all. I should get my old Remington out that dad passed along to me in my early teens.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Classic! Back when men were men and rifles were metal & wood. :laugh:
    I'd love to have an old .22LR rifle bolt action with such a wood stock & scope.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

That stock turned out gorgeous 88!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I need to see this and my 25N next to each other. Seems to be a lot of similarity's.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been having fun researching .22LR rifles.
    Bought a Ruger 10/22 .22LR model 1132 Mannlicher w/Nikon scope and working to get the scope positioned to make it easier for my poor neck.
    Came close to buying a Marlin 60 and/or XT recently, but was told it had nothing on the Ruger 10/22.
    Perhaps a bolt action along of some sort, a CZ 455, 457 would be awesome, but there is probably a bolt action that would be fine for my poor eyes for less investment.
    Saw a CZ with 3 barrels for $1000 (no, I was not tempted).
    There was a Ruger with an adjustable Boyd stock (that could have been perfect for my neck) that I would have bought, but I waited too late and it was gone.
    Fun looking and researching. With rifles, it seems it is all about the scope, but the $120 Nikon 3-9 x40 I'm using now is fine for my eyes.
    I'll probably pick up something here from someone like I did the Mannlicher.
    Someone's leftovers when they have moved on will be fine for me. :laugh:

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Bought a Ruger 10/22 .22LR model 1132 Mannlicher w/Nikon scope and working to get the scope positioned to make it easier for my poor neck.
    Came close to buying a Marlin 60 and/or XT recently, but was told it had nothing on the Ruger 10/22.
    Perhaps a bolt action along of some sort, a CZ 455, 457 would be awesome, but there is probably a bolt action that would be fine for my poor eyes for less investment.
    There was a Ruger with an adjustable Boyd stock (that could have been perfect for my neck) that I would have bought, but I waited too late and it was gone.
    Fun looking and researching. With rifles, it seems it is all about the scope, but the $120 Nikon 3-9 x40 I'm using now is fine for my eyes.
    Someone's leftovers when they have moved on will be fine for me.
    With my very limited experience, I've come to the conclusion that out of the box, I prefer the Marlin 60 to the 10/22. Less finicky with ammo, and I find it better handling (for me).

With that being said, I'm absolutely not getting rid of my 10/22, and I'll likely end up with one if not more down the road. Can't argue with the aftermarket, and the ability to tailor the rifle nearly perfectly to your preferences.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Someone's leftovers when they have moved on will be fine for me. :laugh:

I find the 3x9 perfect for 25 yards. It's not as good, for me, at 50 yards, but doable. My 4x12 is perfect for 50 yards, but only okay at 100 yards. That's why I'm looking to get a 6x20 or 6x24 for 100 yards... ;)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Also, you might look at something like a Ruger Precision Rimfire which has a very adjustable stock, which could help with your neck issues. Either that or an add-on check riser of some sort for the rifle you have.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There are a LOT of free mods for the 10/22; bolt radius, bolt polish, bolt face polish, firing pin pinning (the BB trick works great!), stock in-letting / free floating / bedding.

As far as your neck hurting, you'll need to establish a good cheek weld 1st. Scopes normally sit higher so you might need to build up the comb. There's a lot of free ways to do that as well. Pool noodles and vet wrap work great.

I (and nearly all the Revere's Riders instructors) run our scopes WAY far forward. So far forward that most have extended rails and modified rings. If you aren't shooting prone competitions, this might not be as important to you but it is proper positioning.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    These guys American Rimfire Association were apparently having a match out at MCF&G on Sunday. Don't know much about it, but just heard them faintly making small holes very close together with just a little bit of noise, with what I am sure were some very expensive rifles & optics, while we were in the bays beating up the steel.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Seems interesting. The guys I was shooting with the previous Sunday were practicing for that and were telling me about it. I don't have any desire to do competition right now, but may look into that at some point.

Top Bottom