• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    With my very limited experience, I've come to the conclusion that out of the box, I prefer the Marlin 60 to the 10/22. Less finicky with ammo, and I find it better handling (for me).
    With that being said, I'm absolutely not getting rid of my 10/22, and I'll likely end up with one if not more down the road. Can't argue with the aftermarket, and the ability to tailor the rifle nearly perfectly to your preferences.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Interesting about your preference to the Marlin 60, and I hadn't heard about the Ruger being finicky about ammo: I'll find out.

I find the 3x9 perfect for 25 yards. It's not as good, for me, at 50 yards, but doable. My 4x12 is perfect for 50 yards, but only okay at 100 yards. That's why I'm looking to get a 6x20 or 6x24 for 100 yards... ;)
    Appreciate the insight. Don't know if I'll ever get up past the 50 yd. mark.
    As I'm looking at different rifles with scopes, they usually have just the 3 - 9 x40 in the $200-$300 range.
    If I jumped up to the $400-$500 range, perhaps that's where the 4 - 12 x40 is.
    I'm in no hurry, and I love the hunt and education that comes with it.

Also, you might look at something like a Ruger Precision Rimfire which has a very adjustable stock, which could help with your neck issues. Either that or an add-on check riser of some sort for the rifle you have.
    I have heard of people buying the RPR and then putting other barrels on them, which I don't understand.
    I guess there is no end to it.

There are a LOT of free mods for the 10/22; bolt radius, bolt polish, bolt face polish, firing pin pinning (the BB trick works great!), stock in-letting / free floating / bedding.
    As far as your neck hurting, you'll need to establish a good cheek weld 1st. Scopes normally sit higher so you might need to build up the comb. There's a lot of free ways to do that as well. Pool noodles and vet wrap work great.
    I'll have to learn about all that, for sure.

I (and nearly all the Revere's Riders instructors) run our scopes WAY far forward. So far forward that most have extended rails and modified rings. If you aren't shooting prone competitions, this might not be as important to you but it is proper positioning.
    I can't imagine the scope going forward more, I can barely reach it now.
    I have bought a new rail just so I can bring the scope back toward my eye/head, since scrunching my neck forward gets to aching after a bit of shooting.
    Much to learn.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Interesting about your preference to the Marlin 60, and I hadn't heard about the Ruger being finicky about ammo: I'll find out.

As I'm looking at different rifles with scopes, they usually have just the 3 - 9 x40 in the $200-$300 range.

I have heard of people buying the RPR and then putting other barrels on them, which I don't understand.

I can't imagine the scope going forward more, I can barely reach it now.
    I have bought a new rail just so I can bring the scope back toward my eye/head, since scrunching my neck forward gets to aching after a bit of shooting.
    Much to learn.
    To clarify, I really enjoy my 10/22 and will definitely be building/tinkering with more. Similar to the Ruger handguns. May not be the best out of the box, but they can be tailored to suit a specific shooter.

My 10/22 has been a bit more finicky than the majority I've heard of. The VQ extractor has definitely helped, but I don't have enough rounds through it to be able to tell if it was that simple of a fix.

If I absolutely had to leave them stock, my pick would go to the Marlin purely based on how it feels in the hand compared to a stock 10/22.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have some plans in the future for my RPR to possibly/hopefully increase accuracy along with me spending more time shooting it to further reduce human error.

- play around with bedding the chassis a little using aluminum tape
    - polish the feed ramps on the mags to reduce marring of the bullets during chambering
    - buy a single load insert tool (47products PITA sled) and test accuracy with & without it
    - sort my ammo by weight and rim thickness

I plan on spending most of my time at 50 yards until I feel like I'm ready to move onto 100 yards. One thing I need to learn is wind because I honestly don't know crap about it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

You can get a nice 3x9 for around $75 - $160 depending on your needs. My Bushnell was around $75, but the Hawke goes for a bit more than twice that and is much nicer. You can get a refurbished Vortex Diamonback Tactical 4x12 scope for around $220 from aaoptics (https://aaoptics.com/REFURBISHED-DIAMONDBACK®-TACTICAL-4-12X40-RIFLESCOPE_p_489.html). All in what you want. I think Amazon had the Vortex for less, but I would buy from aaoptics as they're a site supporter. I love my Vortex scope.

On the RPR, swapping the barrel is pretty easy. Also, Ruger seems to be hit and miss on them. Some are extremely accurate and some don't live up to the "precision" name. Those finding theirs are in the latter category have various after market barrels they can swap out for in pursuit of better groups.

In the simplest of terms...it blows.

:laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can get a nice 3x9 for around $75 - $160 depending on your needs. My Bushnell was around $75, but the Hawke goes for a bit more than twice that and is much nicer. You can get a refurbished Vortex Diamonback Tactical 4x12 scope for around $220 from aaoptics (https://aaoptics.com/REFURBISHED-DIAMONDBACK®-TACTICAL-4-12X40-RIFLESCOPE_p_489.html). All in what you want. I think Amazon had the Vortex for less, but I would buy from aaoptics as they're a site supporter. I love my Vortex scope.

On the RPR, swapping the barrel is pretty easy. Also, Ruger seems to be hit and miss on them. Some are extremely accurate and some don't live up to the "precision" name. Those finding theirs are in the latter category have various after market barrels they can swap out for in pursuit of better groups.

In that the word on the RPR is as you say I have a barrel in the mail for mine and I do not have the rifle as yet.
    I ordered a Strikefire 4-24X50 from AAOptics, a Harris BiPod from Midway, a Green Mountain barrel after I ordered the rifle. I have the Optic/BiPod in hand. The barrel arrives today and no word on the rifle as yet.

Oh and the Trigger is supposed to arrive today as well.....:):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    In that the word on the RPR is as you say I have a barrel in the mail for mine and I do not have the rifle as yet.
    I ordered a Strikefire 4-24X50 from AAOptics, a Harris BiPod from Midway, a Green Mountain barrel after I ordered the rifle. I have the Optic/BiPod in hand. The barrel arrives today and no word on the rifle as yet.

Yes, but we all know that you are an exception to any rule about buying a firearm... :cool:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I wrote that info all down in my "planner" so I would have a heads-up about brands incase I come across a good deal.
    I actually hope to buy someone's bolt action with a nice scope off them sometime as they move on to another.
    I am very happy with my Nikon 3x9x40 that I have on my Ruger 10/22: my first scope, which I bought off a member here recently.
    I know it is just a basic scope, but I'm only shooting at 16.6 yds./50 feet in the indoor range.

gmcttr doesn't know it yet, but were going to get together in Columbus at his outdoor range for some fun again :laugh:, and I'll be able to try some 50 yrds. maybe.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A 4-12x w AO would imho be ok to 100 yds. Like 12x at 50 better than 9x if on the bench. On a hunter 3-9x is ideal. Offhand will be done around 4x.

Smaller is usually lighter too. And depending on rifle ...
    Some bolts wont clear big eye bell scopes unless mounted high.....which may require a cheekriser. Large objectives.....long scopes......may require rear sight removal.

My cz455 wears a Leupold freedom 3-9x EFR.......has the rear sight removed and uses medium rings.

It fits decent and looks balanced. Would be an OK hunter. If playing the bench only game one can venture into ridiculous. For me though a fixed 12x would work. Better an 18x. Variable would work too
    ....6.5-20x w a gold ring would look nice. Dunno if itd have the tracking woes some have posted. But im a set and forget type.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Once everyone gets squared away with their 22LR guns, we should have a rimfire shootout somewhere!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    In that the word on the RPR is as you say I have a barrel in the mail for mine and I do not have the rifle as yet....:):

No need to wait on the rifle. With your vast experience you should be able to rig something up with the barrel, a length of broom handle, a coat hanger and some electrical tape.

...gmcttr doesn't know it yet, but were going to get together in Columbus at his outdoor range for some fun again :laugh:, and I'll be able to try some 50 yrds. maybe.

:yesway:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    A 4-12x w AO would imho be ok to 100 yds. Like 12x at 50 better than 9x if on the bench. On a hunter 3-9x is ideal. Offhand will be done around 4x.

Smaller is usually lighter too. And depending on rifle ...
    Some bolts wont clear big eye bell scopes unless mounted high.....which may require a cheekriser. Large objectives.....long scopes......may require rear sight removal.

My cz455 wears a Leupold freedom 3-9x EFR.......has the rear sight removed and uses medium rings.

It fits decent and looks balanced. Would be an OK hunter. If playing the bench only game one can venture into ridiculous. For me though a fixed 12x would work. Better an 18x. Variable would work too
    ....6.5-20x w a gold ring would look nice. Dunno if itd have the tracking woes some have posted. But im a set and forget type.

I don't hunt and the RPR is dedicated to benchrest, so a 6-24 scope will eventually happen.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Once everyone gets squared away with their 22LR guns, we should have a rimfire shootout somewhere!

I would love to just watch that! :popcorn:
    No need to for me to actually shoot, except for the entertainment value for everyone. :laugh:
    It would be a great place to try the "feel" of different rifles and their respective scopes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

OK. Barrel and trigger are in hand.
    I need to call the LGS and see where the rifle is....????

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Depends on what you mean. Shooting bolt action .22's for me is getting me to my slow paced zen happy place. No desire to compete in a timed manner. Happy to kill lollipops, shoot for groups or something like that though ;)

Top Bottom