• ...and so much more!
  • HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    So your answer is no?
    I think he is generally conservative, but the details fluctuate too often to call him consistent or the real deal. His one year old book is at odds with him now. He's also a brand new Republican.

I feel like I'm getting the investor pitch from him.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It’s not math. It’s notation.

“As a young banker in the mid-80s, I learned what had been taught for many decades before, that we abbreviate thousands in our analysis with the letter M. If we wanted to denote millions, we would show that as MM. For this, we should credit the Romans. M is the Roman numeral for thousand and MM is meant to convey one thousand-thousand — or million. To take it further; one billion would be shown as $1MMM or one-thousand million.”

Now, does it make sense? I guess if you’re a banker.
    So then, MMXXIV does not indicate 2024, but

1000 x 1000 x 100 x 100 x 1 x 5 = 50 billion?

Unknown-1.jpeg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The bottom-line question that jamil and I spoke about was the question of sincerity. Do you think he is truly sincere about that which he speaks of?

It appears that we both are tending toward believing that he is after first being skeptical.
    What bothers me is the glib call to 'defund the ATF, the FBI and the Dept. of Education', not that I would disagree with it if it were at all possible or likely

You know and I know that would require beyond a filibuster proof majority in the senate, it would require a republican squish proof majority in both houses. It just isn't going to happen this time around, especially with so many intent on jamiling™ (doing the absolute minimum possible for the once and future nominee)

So for me, it is hard to judge sincerity when someone's talking points are so obviously insincere in terms of being put into practice. There were ways to make Mexico pay for the wall (tax remittances, for instance) and there were ways to Make America Great Again (and their still are) and people forget that Trump actually tried to move a federal bureaucracy out of DC (Dept of the Interior) and even a dept. like that, with a much smaller constituency than Dept of Education, proved a difficult row to hoe

He might as well be saying he is going to make conservatives and progressives live together in peace and harmony, he has about as much chance of doing that

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think Ramaswamy understands he’s not going to be the nominee. So now it’s a discussion of motivations for staying in it and saying what he’s saying. Is he just trying to fill out his resume for a spot in Trump’s administration should that happen? Maybe. Could be he doesn’t believe any of it and is just trying to be a spoiler. Idunno but my gut tells me he’s sincere in what he’s saying about this country. Not so sure he’s sincere about some of the more radical campaign promises.

He’s not spending much money On his campaign. I think he’s taking a page from Trump’s 2016 script where he says controversial things that the media can’t help but bite on, and that gets him invited on CNN and such, and people that would have only heard what the media says about him will now get to say it directly. He’s probably not going to get rid of the FBI. But saying he will gets him invited to say what’s wrong with the FBI on mainstream TV.
    I believe his reaction to a Haley candidacy (disgust) is sincere

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What bothers me is the glib call to 'defund the ATF, the FBI and the Dept. of Education', not that I would disagree with it if it were at all possible or likely

You know and I know that would require beyond a filibuster proof majority in the senate, it would require a republican squish proof majority in both houses. It just isn't going to happen this time around, especially with so many intent on jamiling™ (doing the absolute minimum possible for the once and future nominee)

So for me, it is hard to judge sincerity when someone's talking points are so obviously insincere in terms of being put into practice. There were ways to make Mexico pay for the wall (tax remittances, for instance) and there were ways to Make America Great Again (and their still are) and people forget that Trump actually tried to move a federal bureaucracy out of DC (Dept of the Interior) and even a dept. like that, with a much smaller constituency than Dept of Education, proved a difficult row to hoe

He might as well be saying he is going to make conservatives and progressives live together in peace and harmony, he has about as much chance of doing that
    I agree in the sense that he makes it sound like it could be done easily when in reality that's not the case.

Same goes for "Spit'n Nails" DeSantis and about Trump on certain things but Trump found out that it could not.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

View attachment 323121
    So based on this post I presume you have great difficulty with all the asterisk on INGO because you can't figure out what's being multiplied or with finding a 10mm socket because it means a 10 thousand thousand.

I can help. You have trouble with analism. We share the struggles.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

View attachment 323121

Is this really the hill you want to die on? :): Let's recap.

Someone abbreviated millions as MM in a post up-thread. I was curious if that's really a thing because I've seen it a few times and wanted to know where it came from. So I googled it.

The thing about it being an old banker remnant, using the Roman M's as they did seemed to make you angry, because you Roman'd the **** out of your reply to that. So then I found it again and posted the link where I got it from. So then, that apparently made you think you should double down, because, that's where we're at I guess.

I think the problem here is that you are using that explanation as if the author is trying to express a quantity in Roman numerals. It's just using it as shorthand for million. The bankers supposedly borrowed the M from the Romans in the way explained in the article, but not intended to express a quantity. It's an abbreviation. So it would be invalid to make the comparison you're making. The thing you seem to be missing is that the article didn't say the bankers were Roman. It's not meant to be roman math. But thanks for the teal lesson anyway.

Do I believe the banker? Well, he's a banker. But, as vitally trivial as this subject is, I only spent a few minutes googling it, and of the few sites I landed on, it's as good an explanation as any.

You can have the last word on this. If it's worth it.

Top Bottom