• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ive been known to give $10-$20 tips. I dont order to often but its nice to make someones day. I remember parking RVs at a campground (tipping was completely optional) and how awesome it was to get a $20 tip from the old folks after a day of nothing (again tipping wasn't expected, just nice since pay wasn't the best). Of course I cant always afford a big tip like that but its fun to do everyone in a while if I can afford it, really makes the drivers day. :)

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Add on charges like the "delivery" charge are one of the things that make me crazy. I've worked in the service industry for over 20 years now and can tell you that there is a never ending list of charges that companies will tend to add to a bill in an attempt to mislead their customers as to their actual prices. As for the 18 years of that time I have been in a management position, I can proudly say that my properties have never done such a thing...simply because I do not believe in it and thing it sets a bad tone with both staff and customers.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem whatsoever with Pizza Hut, Dominos or any of the others making profit. I want them to so they are still there the next time I call. That said, if they need to charge $2.50 extra for their overhead to deliver the pizza and half of their business comes from deliveries, it would be much simpler for everyone for them to raise the price of each pizza by $1 to $1.25 and cover their costs that way instead of creating an add-on charge that makes for uncomfortable staff-customer interactions.

Having gotten my start waiting tables and bartending, I tend to over-tip for good service because I remember all too well how hard it can be when your base pay is below minimum wage. I never hated people who just didn't get it, but I did hate the fact that there were so many of them out there.

Maybe I should call BO and ask to be made the Czar of pizza deliveries. I'll get this mess sorted out!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Oh, Pizza delivery guy, Fret not. You are held in high regard by WoW players, everywhere. You make our raiding nights complete.

Seriously. I try to tip at LEAST $3 or better. This is my "I'm too lazy to get off of my behind and make dinner" tax. Considering that my tab is at least $25, I want to make it worth the driver's while, considering I don't live far from most pizza joints in the area.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Nope, just a crappy job I work to make ends meet, that is occasionally made crappier by guys with attitudes like yours.

You can't remember to read the ticket and pick up a bottle of pop but i'm the one making the crappy job you freely choose worse?:rolleyes:

Right, I bet it's a union's fault right.

15 pizza's in 4-5 hours and you can't read a ticket and get it right and I'm the one who makes your crappy job worse.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I haven't heard about that. I have been told, however, that I can claim my fuel expenses on my income tax return, but I haven't figured out how I'm going to keep my personal and business use straight...I'm terrible at tracking receipts, and I don't fill up every day.

It's call Pen and Paper, learn how:nopity::nopity:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I haven't heard about that. I have been told, however, that I can claim my fuel expenses on my income tax return, but I haven't figured out how I'm going to keep my personal and business use straight...I'm terrible at tracking receipts, and I don't fill up every day.

The government has a fixed mileage reimbursement rate. All you need to do is get yourself a little log book. Write down your starting mileage and ending mileage for each shift. At the end of the day, calculate your miles driven (minus any personal mileage for lunch break or whatever). Multiply that by the government rate (I think it's 55 cents/mile, but you'll have to check with your tax guy). Take that amount and subtract any mileage reimbursement that your job gives you. That's your total deductible. Keep your log books in case you get audited.

If your job pays you no mileage and you drove 5000 miles that year delivering pizza, that's a $2750 deductible, which would bring your annual taxable income down quite a bit and save you a nice chunk of change.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Or the time IMPD gave me a $75 ticket for "parking" in a fire lane!

Get over it, it's a FIRE LANE, it did not say "loading zone" or "15 minute delivery"

I deliver beer for a living, sometimes I have to park 1 block or more away because of a fire lane or a no parking zone, part of the job.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The government has a fixed mileage reimbursement rate. All you need to do is get yourself a little log book. Write down your starting mileage and ending mileage for each shift. At the end of the day, calculate your miles driven (minus any personal mileage for lunch break or whatever). Multiply that by the government rate (I think it's 55 cents/mile, but you'll have to check with your tax guy). Take that amount and subtract any mileage reimbursement that your job gives you. That's your total deductible. Keep your log books in case you get audited.

If your job pays you no mileage and you drove 5000 miles that year delivering pizza, that's a $2750 deductible, which would bring your annual taxable income down quite a bit and save you a nice chunk of change.

It's called running a log book like you would as a truck driver. Our Probation Officer/Delivery Driver did that and taught me the importance of doing so. :D

Get over it, it's a FIRE LANE, it did not say "loading zone" or "15 minute delivery"

I deliver beer for a living, sometimes I have to park 1 block or more away because of a fire lane or a no parking zone, part of the job.

Luckily Eby Brown didn't really have that problem. Only late night gas station traffic. :thumbsup:

Oh, as for saying 15-20 pizzas in 3-4 hours.... I would normally work an 8 hour day/night and run about 25-40+ pizzas in 3-4 hours. Race weekends would demand more. We never had enough drivers. :):

And for the record, I always brought change with me. Sometimes those who can't pickup the pizza or go out to get it are really just that broke and can't afford to give a big tip if any at all. That still didn't stop me from raking in at least $80 a night.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    A. The people that don't tip the delivery guy.

An just a hint....a dollar is NOT a tip. You may not be aware of this, but delivery drivers for most companies pay for gas, maintenience, and repairs OUT OF POCKET.

Bottom line, if you can't afford to cough up a few bucks for the driver, you can't afford to have him bring you a pizza. Stop being cheap...and remember, drivers remember the good tippers AND the bad ones.

Back in the early to mid-90s, the customary tip was $1.00+ the change due back. I felt that was OK since the business we got pizza from tacked on $1.00 to every delivery order. As gas became more costly, my folks started to go and pick-up their own pizza. I have always been a fan of picking up pizza back when gas was $1-$1.50/gallon, as I saved money by not having to tip $1.00 plus the change. Now that I am hearing that tips are "a few bucks," there is no way I would order delivery. Even with gas at the price it is now, there is no way I would spend $3.00 in gas to get my pizza.

I can't believe there are still people that deliver pizza, given the extraordinary costs to folks such as yourself. OK, seriously, I only have one, maybe two pizza places that serve where I live. I would rather save the $4.00 for one ($3 tip plus $1 add-on charge) and the $3.00 for the other and put that money toward the pizza (the later only charges $5.00 for a medium). However, it is rare for me to get pizza at any of these places, as I only like to go out for pizza if it is something new. I like making my own pizza at home, using Boboli crusts and my pizza stone.

A $3.00+change tip for a delivered pizza. Ouch!!

Its delivery, not DiGiorno, so don't expect it to be made to your EXACTING specifications.

This is pretty much why I like eating at home. Food on my time, when I want it, how I want it, etc.. The best part: Much cheaper in the long run. With the economy the way it is, have you seen a slow down in pizza sales? What about tips over-all? You wrote of DiGiorno. I will tell you, the days of crappy frozen pizza are gone. There is such a selection of good frozen pizzas, I am surprise people even still order pizza from pizza shops. I still make my own, but if I didn't, I likely would stock up on those frozen pizzas.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    I worked pizza for a long time, and it really makes you wonder if alot of people out there even know that the drivers only real income comes from tips. I am sorry you got it bad mate, hopefully we can educate some peeps.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Wow a lot of people unnecessarily angry... must be poor tippers feeling the tinge of guilt.

Here is a video that is NOT SFW by way of language. Very appropriate for this thread:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJwYaeolXc]YouTube - Reservior Dogs - Tips For The Tippers[/ame]

Social contract!

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A $3.00+change tip for a delivered pizza. Ouch!!

Wife and I just hit the pub for a pizza, sticks and sodas. Let's say the bill was about $20.

15% of that is $3.00, but I like to tip 20% if the service is good. That's $4.00

Compare that to a similar big chain order... after adding in the "delivery fee" to pay for the signage and hot box, the total is about the same $20.00

The driver is barely - if even - covering gas money with their share of the "delivery fee". He/she is bringing it right to my door. They show up close to the announced time and I'll try to hit the same 20% for them.

True they aren't filling up my soda glass for the 30 minutes I'm eating, but they did drive their own vehicle to my driveway. Those two more than even out.

Besides... I hate to cook, and my teenage daughter is going through an almost vegan phase right now. Pizza with :ar15:no meat??????

Top Bottom