Paying for guns in installments...crazy question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I think the comment about "if you have to make payments then you cant afford it." rubbed some folks the wrong way. If that is true then you better be paying cash for your house, car, ect because all these are obtained by making payments. I can see someone who has an extra $20 dollars or so a week to play with, spend it on a layaway plan for a gun because they know if they didnt have the layaway they would just blow the money on some thing else. Dont ever let someone tell you you cant afford some thing. If its not hurting you and your families necessities then its no one elses business what you do or how you obtain a firearm.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Indy Trading post has layaway. 20% down, 60 days to pay it off. No fees, no minimum payment, and if you need to go a little longer than 60 days, they will work with you! Great way to get that used or hard to find gun when you don't have all the money at the time!

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    That's one of the major problems in this country. Government and people buying stuff when they don't have the money to pay for it. SAVE! SAVE! SAVE! Then buy.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    I think the comment about "if you have to make payments then you cant afford it." rubbed some folks the wrong way. If that is true then you better be paying cash for your house, car, ect because all these are obtained by making payments. I can see someone who has an extra $20 dollars or so a week to play with, spend it on a layaway plan for a gun because they know if they didnt have the layaway they would just blow the money on some thing else. Dont ever let someone tell you you cant afford some thing. If its not hurting you and your families necessities then its no one elses business what you do or how you obtain a firearm.
    I agree with Cherryspringer. A house is the one thing you mentioned that you probably won't save enough to pay cash, but if we didn't have this screwed up economy, with 20% down (saved), you could buy a house that you would hope would appreciate and cover some of the interest costs.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Another big +1 to Blythes, their layaway plan is awesome. I don't use credit cards, and I don't have deep pockets. I was able to put a Shield on layaway, and pay it off a month later. In fact, as soon as I decide on my next gun, it's going on layaway!

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I ususally do have the money to buy what I want, but use layaway often. If I find something on sale that I want or that special gun I want, then I put it on layaway so I know its there later. I dont need to have it right now, because I have others. I am to the point that I am just getting what I want now, so why not put it on layaway. It doesnt cost anything extra and it just gives me an excuse to visit the shop again anyway where I usually end up spending more money. To each his own, but personally I like layaway.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I used this at Bradis on my last purchase. They had only one gun that I wanted in the store, I didn't want to wait for order or it be sold to someone else. I put the 10% down and came back 2 weeks later and paid in full for it. The really nice thing is that it wasn't left behind the counter, no one else was fingerin it, it was at that point mine.

Why is everyone up in arms about this, I couldn't afford the price of the weapon at the time I saw it, but I could later....I guess I'm confused, if you are not getting charged any intrest for putting a gun on layaway and making payments what's the difference of saving the money and putting it in the sock drawer where it's not earning any intrest either....it's a wash.

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I personally dont use layaway nor do I condemn those that do. How others get their firearms is none of my business. If I saw something that I really wanted and the shop only had 1 left and didnt know if they would ever get another, then I might think about it.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Plenty of people should be renting . Many have bought a home with payments they could not afford. They have put themselves and their familes in undo stress because of their selfish actions. Many people out there will not be truthful with them about what they have done.

My daughter is sitting out there with two house payments because she didn't wait till her home sold first. She is under terrific financial stress because of it. :(

Last edited:

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Plenty of people should be renting . Many have bought a home with payments they could not afford. They have put themselves and their familes in undo stress because of their selfish actions. Many people out their will not be truthful with them about what they have done.

My daughter is sitting out there with two house payments because she didn't wait till her home sold first. She is under terrific financial stress because of it. :(
    Aint that the truth. Sorry to hear about your daughter. She is one of them that will learn the hard way.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I follow Dave Ramsey, that is all I will say about this.

Listening to all the people in financial trouble and then those that are now trouble free after following his advice call into his show everday day is quite the eye opener.

I bought a $25,000 semi tractor for $16,000 cash less than two years ago. In 13 months of running, my Dave Ramesy truck it has netted me back $75, 000 .

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Checked out budsgunshop, seems you can apply for a credit card and they'll give you 6-12 months financing. Wonder how liberal they are with their CCs. Being young, it might not be a bad idea to just get it, use it, then leave it alone. Apparently credit reporting companies like that.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As a couple stated, to each their own. You put the money to the side to save it, or you put it on the gun and they hold it for you, i know most of them put your gun on the side so no one else will be fingering it or playing with it, so its pretty much yours right then, just have to finish paying on it. Agree that some people put themselves too far into debt, but if you know what you can and cannot do, then you should not have a problem.

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    If you have to make payments you can't afford it. If some one tells you different, they want your money.

I don't know, it sounds pretty good to me. I don't have anyplace where I live in Redding CA that will take a layaway plan for a firearm, but I wish I did. I would own a lot more of them, that is for sure. Even though my wife says that I have to many already. Can you believe that?

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I don't know, it sounds pretty good to me. I don't have anyplace where I live in Redding CA that will take a layaway plan for a firearm, but I wish I did. I would own a lot more of them, that is for sure. Even though my wife says that I have to many already. Can you believe that?

After playing with one, no, i cannot believe that. How can you have too many? :dunno: Also, love that youre on this forum and you live in CA lol! These are a good group of people.

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Long story Kazaam

It is a long story as to how I ended up joining this forum yesterday, but here I am.

I am a member of a couple of other forums, like "bentrider online" which is one of my favorites. It is a site that is for recumbent bike riders. Now they have members from all over the world, Australia, the U.K., Canada, Europe, etc..... But this is the first forum I have joined that is specific to a certain area.

As I explained on a different post, I am retired Navy, 24 years of active duty, and so have quite a bit of free time on my hands. OH. My wife hates computers also. Go figure.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    lol, welcome! I could learn a thing or 1,000,000 from you. ;) I found myself in a similar situation when i was referred to a california gun forum to buy ammo from some guy that sells it at low prices. Had to send him a PM to see if he ships.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I can't f'ing wait months for a gun, I'll pay with cash, money-order or a credit card

I put money down at PSS for a gun and came in a few days later and paid the rest by CC. Once I decided what I wanted, I could not wait to get it and shoot it (clean it, caress it :):, etc.). I think this happens frequently (put money down and then come back sooner than expected to acquire it; not sure about the caressing part of it?).:dunno:

Seaweed02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Ammo Kazaam

lol, welcome! I could learn a thing or 1,000,000 from you. ;) I found myself in a similar situation when i was referred to a california gun forum to buy ammo from some guy that sells it at low prices. Had to send him a PM to see if he ships.

Did you have to wait 50 posts before you could contact the guy? Cause that is the situation I am in now. I found this sight looking for a certain gun I wanted, and I can't contact the guy until I have 50 posts.

Ammo...Now there is one thing I can contribute. I just bought a thousand rounds of ammo from a company called "Freedom Munitions". I bought 223 and 40 S&W and it was very nice ammo. Cheap also. I will buy again.

Top Bottom