Paying for guns in installments...crazy question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spiorad-Fola

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've bought a few guns on layaway, usually because I don't carry a lot of cash.
    The last time, I went through Indy Trading Post. I had to put 25% down, but they don't charge any interest, and let me pay whenever I wanted. Had it out three days later.
    It was one of those "I haven't seen one of these in forever!" deals, so I pounced.
    Also, they threw in an ammo discount and free range time.....feeding my addiction.

To each their own I guess, I strictly use cash for my purchases, and will place things in layaway from time to time. However, telling someone that if they can't afford to buy it outright, they shouldn't, is total poppycock. People can spend their money how and when they like, in whatever manner they choose.

Sounds like something a Kimber snob would say...
    :-D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a 590 Mossburg in layaway, paid it off in a few days. I wanted it and put a third down.
    When I got it out there was a Sweet Springer stainless in the case. It is waiting patiently for me right now, in layaway. No interest, no one else can snatch up the gun while you are getting the money together.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I see nothing wrong with putting guns in layaway, so long as paying for it can be done with out forgoing, morgage, water bill, lights ect.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I see nothing wrong with putting guns in layaway, so long as paying for it can be done with out forgoing, morgage, water bill, lights ect.

Yep, while it does not build up credit like a credit card does, as long as you are making your payments on it, and the places that I know are pretty lenient on it, so you will be better then if you had put it on a card. Saved a couple bucks anyway for more ammo to break it in right.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    If you have to make payments you can't afford it. If some one tells you different, they want your money.

That's not really an intelligent argument for layaway. Who says one can't afford something they need to pay on in chunks? I can afford any AR or AK I want, on the spot. Does that mean I want to throw down over $1,000 all at once? No way. I'm doing a payment plan on a $300 Revolver as we speak. Does that mean I can't afford it? No. It's just much more convenient to pay a little on every paycheck, so that you still make sure you've got enough money to pay the bills. The argument you're presenting is basically stating that those who don't make $1,000/week don't deserve good weapons. Or course if you want to take the absolute literal translation of your statement, one could argue that if you can't buy it all at once, obviously by definition, you can't afford it (at that time).

Payment plans are great!

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    That's not really an intelligent argument for layaway. Who says one can't afford something they need to pay on in chunks? I can afford any AR or AK I want, on the spot. Does that mean I want to throw down over $1,000 all at once? No way. I'm doing a payment plan on a $300 Revolver as we speak. Does that mean I can't afford it? No. It's just much more convenient to pay a little on every paycheck, so that you still make sure you've got enough money to pay the bills. The argument you're presenting is basically stating that those who don't make $1,000/week don't deserve good weapons. Or course if you want to take the absolute literal translation of your statement, one could argue that if you can't buy it all at once, obviously by definition, you can't afford it (at that time).

Payment plans are great!
    good argument, do you pay for your house or car all at once?:n00b:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    What other word would describe the credit companies zero percent for six months deals better than "scheme"?
    They are "schemes"! And they do work!
    I don't think the people that fall for them would call them what they are! BUT I DO!!!
    Go ahead and play their game! I never said it isn't possible to use credit and not get hurt. But the majority of those that START using credit because of these 0% deals (schemes) wind up paying a lot of interest and many of those same people end up in deep financial troubles because they were ignorant or stupid enough to fall for the "SCHEME"!
    Very few do as you say that YOU do ( pay off balance every month)! Even though most would say that was their intention when they started, they usually end up carrying a balance over to the next month, and then the ball starts rolling and before long, they are "TRAPPED" in the cycle !
    So, call it what you want! I refuse to use credit cards! It is too easy to be blinded by the "great deal of free money", or something to happen (loss of job, injury, unexpected financial need, ect.) that makes you miss a payment, and then what?!

And not to call you a liar, but what kind of deal does your credit card company give you and how much do you charge to be getting "$40-50 back in cash each month"? Most I've seen is 1-2% of purchases. And how much is your annual fee?

I have a Chase Freedom card that gives me 1 percent on everything and 5 percent on certain items quarterly. This quarter its gas and restaurants. I get extra points because my checking account with Chase. I charge everything I possibly can (gas, groceries, insurance, out of pocket medical, license plate renewal, etc...) and I have no annual fee.

Top Bottom