Paying for guns in installments...crazy question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Did you have to wait 50 posts before you could contact the guy? Cause that is the situation I am in now. I found this sight looking for a certain gun I wanted, and I can't contact the guy until I have 50 posts.

Ammo...Now there is one thing I can contribute. I just bought a thousand rounds of ammo from a company called "Freedom Munitions". I bought 223 and 40 S&W and it was very nice ammo. Cheap also. I will buy again.

Hmm...a lot of websites place limits (must reach a certain amount of posts before you are able to contact other users) on private messaging people but this one (calguns) did not. I'm not a huge fan of putting posting limits to be able to PM, but i understand why its done. Best of luck!

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Yeah I agree that 50 post rule really really I mean really stinks. Everyone around here thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it really hurts the commerce around here.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    For a measly $15 a year you can PM and post in the classifieds with minimal restrictions. IMHO it's well worth it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I was browsing gunbroker.com the other day and noticed some sellers use a system called easy pay where you can pay in installments. Personally, I think this is kind of awesome.

Not sure if this was mentioned (TL/DR), but I'd be scared to send hard earned money (as most layaway payments are) to a remote dealer to buy I gun sight unseen.

If I buy something on Gunbroker it's with money I can afford to lose if the deal turns into a scam.

:twocents:

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    If you have to make payments you can't afford it. If some one tells you different, they want your money.

If you have a wife like mine, sometimes the payment method is the only way to go. Every time the wife finds out I've got money put back there's suddenly something we "need"

First there's the Espresso maker that's been sitting in the box UNOPENED for over a year now, but we "needed" it. Then we needed a new vacuum because the one we had was almost two years old and it might quit working at any time. Then the boy's (4 & 7 at the time) need a new flat screen TV because the 20" they have isn't big enough. Hell, when I was their age, there was only ONE TV in the house and it was a 19" black and white.

So pay your bills, buy your groceries, fill your gas tank, then make the payment on the gun you want. When the wife comes asking if you have any "extra" money, you can look at her and honestly say "no hun, I don't have any "extra" money. "

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    If you have a wife like mine, sometimes the payment method is the only way to go. Every time the wife finds out I've got money put back there's suddenly something we "need"

First there's the Espresso maker that's been sitting in the box UNOPENED for over a year now, but we "needed" it. Then we needed a new vacuum because the one we had was almost two years old and it might quit working at any time. Then the boy's (4 & 7 at the time) need a new flat screen TV because the 20" they have isn't big enough. Hell, when I was their age, there was only ONE TV in the house and it was a 19" black and white.

So pay your bills, buy your groceries, fill your gas tank, then make the payment on the gun you want. When the wife comes asking if you have any "extra" money, you can look at her and honestly say "no hun, I don't have any "extra" money. "

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is why I stay unmarried.

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    I like layaway as well, sometimes I stop in there and just don't have the cash on hand for a nice weapon, I secure it with some of my on hand cash and return later with my bank card to retrieve it. Now I just need to setup my upin so I can quit waiting 2 days after I purchase a firearm to actually take it home. My LGS doesn't do the transfer until the weapon is payed off.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Can you pay that $15 in installments? :D
    top%20golf%20clap.gif

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    With few exceptions, those who do not have the ability to buy the gun, in full, will not complete a lay-away plan. The default rate on any type of lay-away in 2012 America is staggering. Anyone considering such would be better served to just save their money, at home, and then buy the gun when they can afford it.

mm5de88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Clinton In
    Buying on payment is the only way most people can buy guns with the state of our economy. I got some stuff thru Bass Pro on a six pay plan and no interest.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    With few exceptions, those who do not have the ability to buy the gun, in full, will not complete a lay-away plan. The default rate on any type of lay-away in 2012 America is staggering. Anyone considering such would be better served to just save their money, at home, and then buy the gun when they can afford it.

I think its amazing that the rate is so high. I also think its ridiculous that many/most gun shops just keep the money that you already put in there instead of refund it, or have some kind of fee or something...absurd.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    The gun shop I frequent has a layaway plan. Sometimes I'll stop in and they will have a new gun or get a used gun in that I want and I won't have all the cash available to me at the time. I will put it in layaway with what cash I have on me then return in a few days after I've been to the bank for a withdrawal or transferred the funds from savings and retrieve the gun. I never buy a gun I don't have the cash somewhere to pay for it. Sometime's I will put it on my credit card then pay the card off. Layaway doesn't cost me anything and I think it's a great convenience since I don't have to run around like a headless chicken getting the cash before someone else buys the gun I want. I'm not sure I would just go put a gun in layaway or put it on a credit card if there wasn't cash somewhere to back up the purchase. Not really interested in paying interest or other fees on a firearm.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Checked out budsgunshop, seems you can apply for a credit card and they'll give you 6-12 months financing. Wonder how liberal they are with their CCs. Being young, it might not be a bad idea to just get it, use it, then leave it alone. Apparently credit reporting companies like that.

They do have this program but there are two things.

If you go with the 6-month payment option, you pay 3% more on the price up front.

If you go 12 months, you pay the 3%, plus you have to buy a "warranty" from them which I think goes for 5% of the price of the gun.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    60% of credit card holders have a balance on their cards.

Credit card companies are some of the most vile companies, next to pay day lenders, out there.

I try not to give them any business.

Vile? They give you free money for a month at a time. They reward you for using their money for a month at a time with points, miles, etc... You don't pay them a nickel extra if you pay them back their money in a month.

Try to go into a bank and get an unsecured loan to buy everyday stuff.

There are stupid people out there that don't know how to manage their money. Sure credit card companies make money off of them, but so do pawn shops.

I use my card for EVERYTHING. I pay the balance each month and try not to buy extras just because I have the card. I usually get $40-50 back in cash each month from my purchases. I know the prices are inflated to cover CC fees at the store, buy even the cash customers pay that, and they get nothing for using cash.

If you're responsible, credit cards are a good tool. Another example is stores that run 0% promotions. If you have the money to buy the item, you can keep your money and pay over time, allowing your money to work for you in the meantime.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Vile? They give you free money for a month at a time. They reward you for using their money for a month at a time with points, miles, etc... You don't pay them a nickel extra if you pay them back their money in a month.

There are stupid people out there that don't know how to manage their money. Sure credit card companies make money off of them, but so do pawn shops.

I use my card for EVERYTHING. I pay the balance each month and try not to buy extras just because I have the card. I usually get $40-50 back in cash each month from my purchases. I know the prices are inflated to cover CC fees at the store, buy even the cash customers pay that, and they get nothing for using cash.

If you're responsible, credit cards are a good tool. Another example is stores that run 0% promotions. If you have the money to buy the item, you can keep your money and pay over time, allowing your money to work for you in the meantime.

Hurt you back , lose your job, have an medical emergency and see how the CC companies treat you.
    People don't get rich from credit card cash back programs.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Great responsible spending. Never spend what you cannot afford to, either on layaway or on a credit card. Credit card will help your credit history, where most layaways dont always. But, up to each person, just make sure you know what you are spending, you know how much you can afford to spend before you jump. That's why so many people screwed up and lost their houses. Yes, losing jobs was part of them, but a lot more just got loans for houses they couldn't afford.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Buying on payment is the only way most people can buy guns with the state of our economy. I got some stuff thru Bass Pro on a six pay plan and no interest.

I get what your saying, but "THE STATE OF OUR ECONOMY" has NOTHING to do with whether someone can afford ANYTHING!!!!
    EVERYONE has the ability to go out (or stay in even!) and EARN money to buy the things they need and/or want!
    No matter how bad "THE ECONOMY", there are businesses hiring! And if you can't find a job, a second or third job (if so, I call B.S.) , then most of us can go cut someone's grass, clean someone's house, babysit, ect.. Hell, go pick up aluminum cans!

Sorry for the rant! Not directed at you at all! It's just that the words,"state of our economy" , always tend to sound like a cop out to me and is one of my pet peeves.:)

Take a look, any day, at the parking lot at the mall, the restaurants, ect.. Look at all the CRAP we buy that we don't need!
    Every time I drive by the mall, I say " recession my a**" !

One last one...... The word "POVERTY" . I don't believe we have poverty in the USA!!!! Do we have poor people? Yes! True poverty? No way!
    The poorest, and SOMETIMES, the laziest among us, do NOT have to go hungry! And guess what? They don't HAVE to rely on the "government" for their needs either! There are charities, and there is "CHARITY" in this country, probably more than any other that can and will feed, clothe, and house you if you can't (or WON'T!) take care of your family and yourself! I say get the government OUT of the CHARITY business! For many Americans, if they had less money coming out of their checks, would give more to those who take care of the needy!

Again, sorry for the rant! I got started and couldn't stop!
    If you ever meet me, just say " hi, nice to meet you" and move on or you might get me started, then it's too late! :D

Top Bottom