• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    perhaps you should acknowledge that your philosophic principles are not widely held.

Oh, I'll gladly acknowledge that. It's much easier to be charitable with other peoples' money than with your own. I expect there to be no shortage of weak-willed hypocrites with a list of pet causes that they will gladly force me to pay for.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I will not give you your assumptions or your re-write of reality. If that causes frustration, perhaps you should acknowledge that your philosophic principles are not widely held.

:laugh:

Our current welfare state is positive that his philosophic principles (and to a large extent mine too) aren't widely held. Yours obviously are. Doesn't make it right, just commonly held.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    :laugh:

Our current welfare state is positive that his philosophic principles (and to a large extent mine too) aren't widely held. Yours obviously are. Doesn't make it right, just commonly held.

My what? View of reality? I expect I do see things as they are and don't hold optimistic expectations that are dependent on my fellow man. But I'm not going to rage against the dying of the light. Takes too much energy.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My what? View of reality? I expect I do see things as they are and don't hold optimistic expectations that are dependent on my fellow man. But I'm not going to rage against the dying of the light. Takes too much energy.

Your view of government's role and what is constitutional and what's not.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I think I see the world as it is and I'm pessimistic about the future. But I don't think I'll live long enough to see it turn really sour by the middle of the 21st century. Large organizations are naturally corrupt over time and the US government is not exempt. My childhood was the 1950's. I don't know what it will be like to be a child in the 2050's. Observation of many different different societies today indicates that people are pretty resilient...especially when they don't know any better. I'm sure we'll survive as a species, but I'm glad I won't be around to see it.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    We are not where we started. We are 241 years down the road. We have flush toilets. We have quantum physics. Don't be a Luddite.

If flush toilets or quantum physics were immoral, I'd point it out.

Although it's now popular to violate principles, simply calling the principled 'Luddites' is laughably weak.

If you have a principled defense, you should present it or just bow out. This nonsense just won't do.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    What, and leave all here to re-inforce a single, particular view of morality and reality? Please.

To hold principles that do not acknowledge that the world and society change over time and that the Constitution is flexible enough to adapt to the circumstances is consistent with the Luddites smashing machinery to protect their self interest. One can walk carefully or be drug kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but the arrow of time has deposited us here. No going back.

You can hold a view, but it is no more correct than others that might be held. Trompe-l'œil righteousness, to be sure.

Last edited:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What, and leave you to re-inforce your view of morality and reality? Please.

To hold principles that do not acknowledge that the world and society change over time and that the Constitution is flexible enough to adapt to the circumstances is consistent with the Luddites smashing machinery to protect their self interest.

You can hold a view, but it is no more correct than others that might be held. Trompe-l'œil righteousness, to be sure.

The world and society abandon and adopt principles as suits their whims at the moment all throughout history.

Holding fast to certain universal principles does not deny that fact, despite your odd suggestion that principles could or could not acknowledge anything of the sort.

It was politicians that smashed, stretched and savaged the constitution to serve their own self-interests. Not Luddites, not machinery... politicians.

Get it together man, when you get upset your thoughts suffer.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Upset? No. And your observation seeks to attribute flaw by innuendo. That doesn't work with me.

Of course principles change over time. Universally held beliefs are also time dependent. One need only look at human rights over time to see the shifting sense of individualism and liberty.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Upset? No. And your observation seeks to attribute flaw by innuendo. That doesn't work with me.

It works with most, so I'll keep it handy.

Of course principles change over time. Universally held beliefs are also time dependent.

Principles that change over time could hardly be called universal. I don't really respect others' beliefs, either.

One need only look at human rights over time to see the shifting sense of individualism and liberty.

I'll assume here that you're talking about man-made definitions and rights, not universal principles or natural rights. Why not address what I said or just take the hit and bow out?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Anyone else see this idiocy on Facebook?

In Case You Missed ItThe Senate voted 51 to 48:
    1. To end coverage for preexisting conditions, veterans benefits, and aid to rural hospitals.
    2. To remove discrimination protection for women in healthcare.
    3. Against the provision allowing children to remain on their parent's insurance until the age of 26.
    4. To cut off funding for the Child Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
    5. Against ACA contraceptive coverage and maternity care provision.
    6. To direct committees to send budget legislation to defund and repeal the Affordable Care Act.
    For those who get health insurance through work, no pre-existing conditions. Lifetime caps for coverage are back for everyone.
    Real and disastrous actions are being taken that will affect more than just the 20-30 million people who will lose their health care coverage and the 3 million people who will lose their jobs.
    Despite their assertions of this being an action to "repeal and replace," no viable alternative plan has been proposed.
    The House votes Friday.
    As of this moment, no replacement exists.
    COPY PASTE THIS. (If you share it, only our mutual friends will be able to see it.)

CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES NOW AND TELL THEM NOT TO APPROVE THESE MEASURES WITHOUT A REPLACEMENT READY TO GO THAT ADDRESSES THESE GAPS.

Oh please save me from the big, bad Republicans.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Actually I think he's making fun of people going along with massive spending because it's done by the Rs

No, I think he was just noting that the majority of INGO would be fine with it.

But it's not the Rs spending them money. The Ds passed that law 7 years ago and from the point it got implemented, it became impossible to take away. Money will have to be spent on HC now because the bums got used to having it. The only way to stop spending money on it is to have never implemented it in the first place. Welfare programs can never be cut....as much as I would like them to be. It's political suicide.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    But it's not the Rs spending them money. The Ds passed that law 7 years ago and from the point it got implemented, it became impossible to take away. Money will have to be spent on HC now because the bums got used to having it. The only way to stop spending money on it is to have never implemented it in the first place. Welfare programs can never be cut....as much as I would like them to be. It's political suicide.

No matter which "side" is in power, they spend every penny they can steal or borrow. Most folks only ridicule the other "side's" propensity for doing this and largely give a pass to the "side" they identify with.

They are 2 sides of the same coin.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

...for politicians. For those who vote to not implement it, they may get voted out, but they would've done right by the nation. That's the problem with our elected officials. They care more about staying in office, than doing the right thing.... and that's not unique to any party.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Because he is a Muslim. He wants to destroy us. He also is going to take our guns........wait that was eight years ago.
    he did try to take the guns. Biggest regret of his presidency, he says.

dont know about him personally, but he does like Iran a lot.

he did a good job further wrecking the economy and increasing the national debt. So there's that.

Top Bottom