Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Congrats to Act, that was quite a run.

Anyhoo, completely different subject- mildly annoyed.

So, my daughter, recent college graduate, is looking to buy a car. She is buying it, but she wants some help looking and knowing what is a sound car.

On to the annoyance- I spotted a car that fit the bill advertised by a local dealership online. Basic car, but pictures looked decent and the miles are very low for the year (2008 model, under 60k). The car has been on the website for at least several days. My job is research and then basic inspection. The business end is all on her.

She called the dealership yesterday. "Yes, it's still here". "Sure you can come down and look at it." She then made an appointment for 5:30p. I met her there (it's in Merrillville, I was coming from Hammond).

Yes. It's there- the interior has not been cleaned up yet, nor has it gone through their safety inspection, so they can't let it be test driven....but they will take a $500 deposit if we're interested.

Um...BS. I know what its like to by a vehicle in 2022 (I just did myself), but no test drive, but they want a deposit. I told my daughter that I would prefer she "took her chances" and if someone else gets it, she can keep looking.

She is still interested in it, but she had 3 telephone calls with them and exchanged e-mails and she made a specific appointment. Not a word about it not really being ready to be seriously considered yet. I get that you want to get people to your property, but this is not the path to build trust.

Unfortunately, from what we were able to see (we could listen, but not drive), and given the miles and the price, it's still in the running and could turn out to be a good car for her, but this was a serious time waster and does not put this dealership at the top of my list.

This is the second car we have looked at where the dealer left out information it would have been nice to have. I wouldn't call them dishonest (maybe because of my low standards given my profession), but it is annoying.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

So, my daughter, recent college graduate, is looking to buy a car. She is buying it, but she wants some help looking and knowing what is a sound car.

On to the annoyance- I spotted a car that fit the bill advertised by a local dealership online. Basic car, but pictures looked decent and the miles are very low for the year (2008 model, under 60k). The car has been on the website for at least several days. My job is research and then basic inspection. The business end is all on her.

She called the dealership yesterday. "Yes, it's still here". "Sure you can come down and look at it." She then made an appointment for 5:30p. I met her there (it's in Merrillville, I was coming from Hammond).

Yes. It's there- the interior has not been cleaned up yet, nor has it gone through their safety inspection, so they can't let it be test driven....but they will take a $500 deposit if we're interested.

Um...BS. I know what its like to by a vehicle in 2022 (I just did myself), but no test drive, but they want a deposit. I told my daughter that I would prefer she "took her chances" and if someone else gets it, she can keep looking.

She is still interested in it, but she had 3 telephone calls with them and exchanged e-mails and she made a specific appointment. Not a word about it not really being ready to be seriously considered yet. I get that you want to get people to your property, but this is not the path to build trust.

Unfortunately, from what we were able to see (we could listen, but not drive), and given the miles and the price, it's still in the running and could turn out to be a good car for her, but this was a serious time waster and does not put this dealership at the top of my list.

This is the second car we have looked at where the dealer left out information it would have been nice to have. I wouldn't call them dishonest (maybe because of my low standards given my profession), but it is annoying.

If it gives you a bad feeling, move on.
    Plenty of dealers.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    SSN-611, USS John Marshall (converted from Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarine to Attack Submarine before I got there)
    I was a ET2 (SS) Nuke

ET- Electronics Tech
    2 - Second Class
    (SS) - Submarine Qualified
    Nuke - I was the Reactor Operator, and the Reactor Technician.

In addition, most people have to have a 2nd job, because subs have small crews compared to surface vessels (targets).
    So, I was Engineering Logroom Yeoman, and Reactor Controls Division Sound Silencing Petty Officer.

:)

Our "unofficial" emblem
    View attachment 204991

Me on the left, the Dry Deck Shelters (DDS) in the background
    View attachment 204992

Me in the sub coveralls, with the ship's diver in the hat, and 4 SEALs .
    You can't see it, but I'm getting ready to shoot a full auto 9mm pistol. I think the SEAL is ready to push me over if I Eff Up.
    View attachment 204994

And, I think this was one of the best photos I took.
    St. Croix, US Virgin Islands, Sunrise.
    View attachment 204995
    All kidding aside act this is quite impressive and I respect your service in the Navy. I’m sure not many of us can match what you did. I salute you Admiral. :patriot:

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt

I didn't even read this.

Private. Party. Sales. Only.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    All kidding aside act this is quite impressive and I respect your service in the Navy. I’m sure not many of us can match what you did. I salute you Admiral. :patriot:

Thanks.
    But, not a big deal. Plenty of jobs get done that some people can't do.
    I couldn't be a surgeon, doctor, nurse, or such.
    don't like seeing people's guts.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI

Not sure where it was... But I swore off dealing with anyone in Illinois on a few similar happenings on autos for sale.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    They have definitely improved. I remember waiting for hours at the BMV on Pendelton Pike in Indy in the early '90s.
    I got my license around this time, everybody knew everybody back then. Lady working at local BMV put my nickname on license cause she knew me by it. People at bank, work, taxes etc. over the years always said it was going to mess everything up in future. I just fixed it when they came out with real id about a year or so ago. I think I'm going to be ok, lol, and if not, I'll find a better reason not to be....

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks.
    But, not a big deal. Plenty of jobs get done that some people can't do.
    I couldn't be a surgeon, doctor, nurse, or such.
    don't like seeing people's guts.
    True enough but I must say that being on the crew of a nuclear sub is pretty badass in my book. I haven’t done anything nearly as impressive to speak of.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    True enough but I must say that being on the crew of a nuclear sub is pretty badass in my book. I haven’t done anything nearly as impressive to speak of.

Nowadays, if you work, provide for your family, and pass your values on, you're pretty "badass".

Now the SEALs, they had some interesting stories. Well, if they would have told them.
    I think they just kept silent, so they could get a book deal. :rofl:

They were deploying one time, I asked where. Stupid rookie mistake.
    I was told, going skiing.
    With your machine guns and gear?
    That got me the "look" that implied I was crossing a known line, about asking questions on classified stuff.

When they come back, one was wrapped head to toe (almost) in bandages.
    His grenade went off early.
    On a ski trip?

I think I was more of a Homer Simpson.

1654791447345.png

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    snip...
    Nuke - I was the Reactor Operator, and the Reactor Technician.

In addition, most people have to have a 2nd job, because subs have small crews compared to surface vessels (targets).
    So, I was Engineering Logroom Yeoman, and Reactor Controls Division Sound Silencing Petty Officer.

All those jobs, I hope you got paid at least, what, double!?

.forgot purple

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom