d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm pissed cause I haven't really shopped for anything cause you can't. The panic buying should be done. Why is everyone still out

Because everyday it's a new panic. Yesterday ordering restaurants and bars closed(Carry out only) made another run on the stores. Today they announce a case in the area. Another run on the stores. And just wait. If they announce a 14 or 30 day closure on non essential services there will be another run for whatever is left at the stores

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm pissed cause I haven't really shopped for anything cause you can't. The panic buying should be done. Why is everyone still out

The panic buying has just begun because A) other parts of the nation are on total lockdown and we don't know if/when we will be also, and B) July/August was mentioned yesterday as being a possible end to this thing. Now people think they have to buy for 4-5 months because of A.

That being said, I've been out every day for the past few days to pick up odds and ends, and I easily found everything except regular bread and bottled water. Stores like Family Dollar and Dollar General carry bread, milk, water, and most other groceries except meat and produce, so they might be another avenue if you're not finding what you need.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I was out today. Stopped at a Sprint facility in Chicago to do a monthly inspection of their underground diesel storage tanks. They would not let me in the facility, Sprint has cancelled all non-emergency maintenance, at least in Chicago.

Stopped at Strack's in Highland on the way home. It was very busy. Limits were 1 flat of bottled or 2 gallons of water, 2 loaves of bread, 2 gallons of milk and limits on sanitizing supplies that I didn't read in detail.

Plenty of meat. Plenty of veggies/fruit.

They were out of a lot of potato chip brands/ varieties. Maybe potato chips boost your immunity?

I have been in various stores 3 of the last 4 days and I have not seen any rude or odd behaviour. Some people wore face masks or gloves, but not that many. Everyone I conversed with seemed to be in a bit of shock and disbelief, uncertain of what's next.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Strangest behavior I saw was Sunday, I think, at South Crown Point Stracks. Grown-ass man whining, nearly weeping, that there was "no bread". There were probably at least 20-30 loaves of rye and oat bread. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices, dude.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Strangest behavior I saw was Sunday, I think, at South Crown Point Stracks. Grown-ass man whining, nearly weeping, that there was "no bread". There were probably at least 20-30 loaves of rye and oat bread. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices, dude.

We have loaves, but just in case the wife picked up some back up supplies a few days ago. If interested, the recipe is on the back of the package.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bread maker has a dedicated place and around 30# flour, several strips of yeast and so on and so on.

I plan. I don't panic.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    They were out of a lot of potato chip brands/ varieties.

Who needs chips? I bought two cans of salty, greasy, oniony goodness.
    csm_chefs-cupboard-french-fried-onions-detail_46194e9604.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Bread maker has a dedicated place and around 30# flour, several strips of yeast and so on and so on.

I plan. I don't panic.
    Haven't panicked yet. We have staples. Last few days I've been filling in the holes with luxury items. Today it was pickles, coffee creamer, and paper plates.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We buy little things peacemeeal but we have plenty to live on.

Usually I buy can goods by the flat and fill in the holes as they diminish,

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Meanwhile the grocery shopping panic is in full bloom with the grocery stores overwhelmed by shoppers who apparently keeps no more than 7 hours worth of food in their pantry??? Drove past Meijer on US30, Stracks on 41 and Aldi and the parking lots were full with people driving up and down looking for spots.

Seriously how do these panic shoppers even survive the night? Do they shop every day and keep their cupboards bare?

Is that rhetorical?

I think most people probably keep maybe, 3 days of food. And a few odds and ends.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom