Northwest Indiana Gun Owners # 25 good morning all.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Shoulda seen when I had to temporary run cables to 20 or so instruments after a conduit burned up.

Ran to the top, and just dropped a reel over the side.
    Go to the level an instrument was on, hook the cable, pull in.
    Repeat as necessary
    (No walls on building. Only walls for computer or control rooms)

Run across floor, through doorways, over pipes.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    My dad had ALL the fast cars every make and model (old muscle) he has said many MANY times my minivan would spank all of them lol

Edit to add that does not subtract from the coolness of old muscle cars
    And McGyver could never make a bazooka projectile with any modern brake light like he did with that 59 Caddy rear light!

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi probably called in a "man with a gun" call when he showed up at his front door
    jedi should have but since jedi stays north of us-30 the po-po don't care.

Not 2 mention jedi don't want da po-po around either. Best 2 have 1 of yous south of us30 folks around before da po-po.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Sort of car shopping, no rush, just really starting the research phase. May get a new vehicle in the fall.

For a primary vehicle, I do not understand why anyone would buy an electric car.

As a second, or perhaps third vehicle, not really a problem. But even at 220volts, many of them take 10-12 hours to recharge. WTF? Then there is the price upcharge to get the electric vehicle, spend an extra $10 to $15K to avoid the gas station, but that $10,000/$15,000 would pay for a lot of gas so I don't see it as a real way to save, especially if electric rates go up. Yes there is some savings on maintenance. Perhaps they are a way to show something to neighbors? Or maybe just because someone likes it and doesn't drive a lot? I'm not dissing people's choices, but the economics of it don't seem to be anything better than neutral over the long term.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Sort of car shopping, no rush, just really starting the research phase. May get a new vehicle in the fall.

For a primary vehicle, I do not understand why anyone would buy an electric car.

As a second, or perhaps third vehicle, not really a problem. But even at 220volts, many of them take 10-12 hours to recharge. WTF? Then there is the price upcharge to get the electric vehicle, spend an extra $10 to $15K to avoid the gas station, but that $10,000/$15,000 would pay for a lot of gas so I don't see it as a real way to save, especially if electric rates go up. Yes there is some savings on maintenance. Perhaps they are a way to show something to neighbors? Or maybe just because someone likes it and doesn't drive a lot? I'm not dissing people's choices, but the economics of it don't seem to be anything better than neutral over the long term.
    But you're saving the planet if you buy an electric car! The planet! You can't put a price on that!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

As a second, or perhaps third vehicle, not really a problem. But even at 220volts, many of them take 10-12 hours to recharge. WTF? Then there is the price upcharge to get the electric vehicle, spend an extra $10K to avoid the gas station, but that $10,000 would pay for a lot of gas.
    Lots of reasons.

Car recharges overnight at home. Never a big deal. I haven't driven further than my car's range in 6 years, and I have a lower range EV by today's standards at a little over 200 miles. Plus you don't drive it to zero charge. I usually charge it when I go under 50%.

Performance. It is hard to match the performance of an EV. They just flat out move, and are a blast to drive. Instant throttle response, no downshifting to get into a lower gear to get going.

They are more than their competition on the lower end. When you get into the performance arena, they are not more expensive than their ICE competitors. I'm not really sure about the luxury market. It is really nice to not give a damn about the gas price fluctuations though.

There is a lot less maintenance involved.

I wouldn't have one as my only vehicle. I definitely want an ICE engine as well. I have one as my car. My wife still has her ICE SUV, and we have an older diesel pickup.

I am eager to see where car engines go in the future. I was reading an article about someone that was soon to have an 800 mile range.

I would suggest you go drive one before you just write them off. There are a number of good ones out there now.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    But you're saving the planet if you buy an electric car! The planet! You can't put a price on that!
    Damned straight. I'm saving the planet, and I can go 0-60 in a little over 3 seconds. :rockwoot:
    Ll Cool J Chris Odonnell GIF by CBS (GIF Image)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . I haven't driven further than my car's range in 6 years, and I have a lower range EV by today's standards at a little over 200 miles. Plus you don't drive it to zero charge. I usually charge it when I go under 50%.. . .

I would suggest you go drive one before you just write them off. There are a number of good ones out there now.
    I drive over 200 miles a day a couple days a week during fencing season. Sometimes over 300 miles a day.

I have driven them. The performance of the upper end Teslas is amazing. The range is the big limit for me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I drive over 200 miles a day a couple days a week during fencing season. Sometimes over 300 miles a day.

I have driven them. The performance of the upper end Teslas is amazing. The range is the big limit for me.
    Public charging isn't very robust around here either. The 800V charging is supposed to get you to 80% in 15-20 minutes. I haven't tried it yet though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Public charging isn't very robust around here either. The 800V charging is supposed to get you to 80% in 15-20 minutes. I haven't tried it yet though.
    Lots of highway driving in my normal routine, which shortens the claimed range of an EV. A 220 mile claimed range, in reality is a lot closer to 180 miles if it is a highway trip.

My home to Notre Dame and back home is almost a weekly occurrence during the school year. That is ~170 miles round trip. Sometimes I stop at the tollroad oasis for a potty break, often not. But that is not a 20 minute stop. They do have the Tesla chargers at the Oasis points on the way to/from Notre Dame. I would be forced to make the stop to charge.

My home to Purdue and back home is sometimes a twice a week occurrence during fencing season. 170 ish miles. So that would leave a battery nearly empty when I get home, I know of zero recharging stations between the Cordova Recreation Center on campus (where I park) and my home.

Condo in Chiraq is a 90 mile round trip, that is at least a once a week trip, so not a problem, but no electric at the garage at the condo so no chance to recharge and sometimes the condo is stopping point on the way to somewhere farther away. Still probably under 150 miles round trip so no real range anxiety but clearly a long recharge.

Honestly I think if I were to consider an EV it would need to have a 300 mile claimed range to cover most of my weekly driving. And I'd still be running the battery down and having it charge all night approx 3 days a week.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Lots of reasons.

Car recharges overnight at home. Never a big deal. I haven't driven further than my car's range in 6 years, and I have a lower range EV by today's standards at a little over 200 miles. Plus you don't drive it to zero charge. I usually charge it when I go under 50%.

Performance. It is hard to match the performance of an EV. They just flat out move, and are a blast to drive. Instant throttle response, no downshifting to get into a lower gear to get going.

They are more than their competition on the lower end. When you get into the performance arena, they are not more expensive than their ICE competitors. I'm not really sure about the luxury market. It is really nice to not give a damn about the gas price fluctuations though.

There is a lot less maintenance involved.

I wouldn't have one as my only vehicle. I definitely want an ICE engine as well. I have one as my car. My wife still has her ICE SUV, and we have an older diesel pickup.

I am eager to see where car engines go in the future. I was reading an article about someone that was soon to have an 800 mile range.

Not piling on…… just saying though you say you like not giving a d@mn about the gas prices……… you just trade one for another…… because now you’re dependent on the electric prices……

I just hate the perpetuated myth that you plug it in and it charges for free with “green energy” only. What’s the difference if they burn coal to make my ev juice or I burn gasoline?

I wonder what the TRUE cost is per mile on an EV with ALL factors taken into consideration.

wanting it for performance or just BECAUSE are all valid reasons. I love electric and think it is awesome for certain applications. but if you preach to people about your greenness or want to push/force people into owning one then I believe you’re full of it

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom