• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    Gotta say: $16 an hour is pretty steep, I barely make that and I am in a professional sales environment. Instead of going for a super high wage job, what in your life needs truncating? No offense, but the wage paid is not equivalent to job done (sort of is though), its according to what skills/experience you can bring to the table. They aren't paying you for your time, they are paying you for your experience.

I have four kids!!!! and a $1250 mortgage!! $16 an hour is nothing! if i make that after daycare and bills I would get like $200 a week! thats including what i use to pay bills now......

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have four kids!!!! and a $1250 mortgage!! $16 an hour is nothing! if i make that after daycare and bills I would get like $200 a week! thats including what i use to pay bills now......

While I don't have kids, I can't begin to understand the frustration that you might be feeling right now. Alot of opportunities have been suggested. Is your missus working? A combined approach pays off in spades! :yesway:

Coming from a freshly unemployed situation and getting kicked in and out of my rent situation, it's pretty dark out there right now. Keep chin up, keep wits about and fire those resumes at anything, even 10 buck a hour ones. ANY job is better than none.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I JUST got my letter of hire today and start on Monday. I had to take a pay cut--- about $13/hr to start but there is plenty of overtime available, and 12-hour shifts work for me. It's taken 2 months...I feel for you. I'd hate to be strapped to a large mortgage payment every month and only have unemployment coming in.

Like has been said, it's going to be EXTREMELY difficult for you to find anything paying $16 hour and has an optimal commute. Indiana's TRUE unemployment rate is around 15%, and there are MANY people out there searching for work. Send resumes to EVERYTHING available.

As I understand it, the Indiana Dept. of Corrections is hiring. They pay is a few dollars an hour less than what you're looking for, but it'd be a start. Also try Indeed.com---it's a fantastic site to search for jobs and blows Monster away.

Good luck. The job market is terrible out there, and the .gov isn't being honest about the TRUE number of unemployed persons.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    Jmil, I feel for you. As a 12 year HM1 who is just under 2yrs out of the Navy. I know your pain. for whomever that is for the forklift job, where is that located and are they doing part time? PM me please with that info

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    I would suggest having a professional redo your resume. Its hard to tell from reading it what sort of position you could fill exactly. Analyze all your skills and try to find one of them that will pay you what you need, then build a resume around that position and seek jobs in that field.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    That's brutal work from what I have seen. Those guys go from relatively warm environments to very cold temperatures all day long. I've heard the turnover is fairly high also because of the working environment. But.... it's a job!

It's not that bad for most, They are union so the low man on the todem pole gets the overtime and there's usually LOTS of it. And being food related there is very minimal risk of layoff ect. because people gotta eat!

And with that background , eventually a supervisor position wouldn't be uncommom to get and can be in the upper $16 range.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    +1 on this. If that's your resume that you posted, it needs a serious redo. The skills that you claim do not match your employment history (hauling hay, warehouse work, etc.), and your employment history is not detailed enough. Employers are more interested in what you've done than what skills you claim. For instance, give an example of how you have utilized your management skills as an employee or in your own business. A degree merely gets your foot in the door for an entry level position. That is, IF an employer likes your resume. I'd seriously consider hiring a professional resume writer if I were you, especially with all of the competition for jobs that is out there, due to the slow economy.

Yepper, let me know if I can assist sir.

A few miles south of you is a life sciences employment bounty. The difficultly is your "must make number." A large part of the reason these folks locate here, is the "reasonable labor force investment." They don't mind paying for a degree, but the top $ will come later with your proof of performance.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    I want to thank everyone for the encouragement. I did have that interview and I followed up and one lady let me know that I was at the top of the candidates. That makes me feel a little better. And in a week if I dont find anything I am going to take a job for $14.00 and hour...

To whoever asked yes my wife works and makes pretty good money just not enough to support the house. believe it or not I bring in as much as her with my GI Bill and unemployment.

Keeping my head up and wishing for the best...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    bwframe.....I have no idea what you are talking about

A few miles south of you is a life sciences employment bounty.
    I don't know exactly what life sciences is, but he's saying that there are a bunch of companies in that industry located near you in a specific geographical area.

The difficultly is your "must make number."
    You said that you needed at least $16.00 an hour to pay all your bills per month. In many job areas, that can be considered a large number, a wage that most employers are unwilling or unable to pay. You may have to accept a job at a lesser wage.

A large part of the reason these folks locate here, is the "reasonable labor force investment." They don't mind paying for a degree, but the top $ will come later with your proof of performance.
    Many companies located or relocated to the area near you because the general wages in the area were lower than, say, Indy or Gary or Evansville. People are willing to work in life sciences for $10.00 an hour instead of $15.00 an hour.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    I can only suggest what I know

Helmets to Hardhats: Home

I've had a good life, my wife stays home and I've never drawn unemployment. That's not to say it would be for everyone. I've road the amberlamps twice but, I love that little metallic taste at the back of your mouth and the deep inhales when you get close. Most apprenticeship start at your target rate.

Top Bottom