Speedway area

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just the second race in and I already have had my fill of DW and his dip**** of a brother. I can not believe those two ***** are still broadcasting.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, race just ready to start and the stands are half full, hopefully getting that last minute PBR and hotdog. I do not think they will be bragging about that this week. Last week DW would not shut up about the good attendance at Daytona. No ******* **** DW, Daytona is NASCARS Superbowl, it better be full.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow, race just ready to start and the stands are half full, hopefully getting that last minute PBR and hotdog. I do not think they will be bragging about that this week. Last week DW would not shut up about the good attendance at Daytona. No ******* **** DW, Daytona is NASCARS Superbowl, it better be full.

Atlanta was our favorite venue. Before the ****ed it up and made it one of those idiotic tri-ovals.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't get all the animosity towards DW and Michael. Yeah, they're goofballs, but unless there's more to their background that I don't know about, they seem like just good ol' boys that like to jaw-jack. :dunno: I've never heard that they raced dirty, or were *******s when they raced, but I didn't really start following NASCAR until about 1999.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd like to see more short track racing. Someplace similar to Winchester would be cool. I would say Salem but reality is Bristol is very similar

Road course. Turn the cars around at the Brickyard and run the road course. That would be a race. Not that single file pass in the pits bravo sierra they have been serving up.

DD......Waltrip just runs his pie hole to be running it. Says nothing after the 1st 5 minutes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Road course. Turn the cars around at the Brickyard and run the road course. That would be a race. Not that single file pass in the pits bravo sierra they have been serving up.

DD......Waltrip just runs his pie hole to be running it. Says nothing after the 1st 5 minutes.
    Fair enough. I think it's entertaining most of the time, but I'm coming from strictly a spectator's point of view. I can see how you guys (you, T-chicken, the bhausens, etc.) that have spent time "in the trenches" so to speak would look at it differently I guess.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fair enough. I think it's entertaining most of the time, but I'm coming from strictly a spectator's point of view. I can see how you guys (you, T-chicken, the bhausens, etc.) that have spent time "in the trenches" so to speak would look at it differently I guess.

He just goes on and on and on about NADA.
    Maybe it is entertaining. To some. It has to be I guess.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not so sure I can agree with this. They started putting roof/cowel flaps on back in the early 90s to help keep cars on the ground. The rear spoiler (wing) has been used for down force going back into the 60s. The front chin spoiler adds down force as well and in large part was stolen from road racing. Those things don't bother me in the least.
    As for bolt penalties....if it's on suspension parts yeah those need to have a required spec. If not guys would be using gun drilled bolts (already used for some parts on sprint cars, midgets and in NHRA) to save weight. Racers (and crews) will do some stupid stuff sometimes.
    I really don't think technology is too advanced to rein it back in at all. Basically they just need to cut out the BS and look at what works. Believe it or not a cup chassis isn't all that advanced.

My point was very broad and general to racing in general. Simply stated, racing was fun to watch until technology reached a point they all are just spec series. No creativity is allowed and probably not even possible.

I have wondered what a true return to the NASCAR roots might look like with real cars like what is on the showroom floor on the track, running the same engine that powers the actual model, same transmission and drives. Real grills and bumpers, an actual real life "stock car", not a spec series car called a "stock car"

MM

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My point was very broad and general to racing in general. Simply stated, racing was fun to watch until technology reached a point they all are just spec series. No creativity is allowed and probably not even possible.

I have wondered what a true return to the NASCAR roots might look like with real cars like what is on the showroom floor on the track, running the same engine that powers the actual model, same transmission and drives. Real grills and bumpers, an actual real life "stock car", not a spec series car called a "stock car"

MM
    Again I disagree not all racing is spec series. Drag racing still has plenty of true outlaw run whatya brung series around. And plenty of sportsman racing options have more wide open rules.

A true return to NASCAR would probably look more like what NASCAR was in the late 80s early 90s. There is no going back to modified cars off a showroom floor. Those days died back in probably the early 70s at the latest. Only Mustangs, Cameros and Dodge Challengers would be able to compete. And even then just like back in the early days the suspension parts would need heavily modified to work along with other mods.
    People get stuck on words. Such as "stock car" there really hasn't ever been very much that was stock about a stock car. Just like there has never been much stock about Pro stock in NHRA...or "street" in streetcar. It has always been a play on words. About the best way to describe "stock" in racing context is stock appearing, but even that requires a bit of squinted eyes to see sometimes.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Now that would be fun. A 2 race week with one on the famous oval and one on the road course.

And yes ol jaws DW just talks to hear himself talk. He has moments of real info or insight but he drones on too much

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And Bristol hasn't been the same since they resurfaced the track. Just doesn't seem to be as much beatin' and bangin' as there used to be.

True. But I thought I heard they have been using traction compound on the track at Briatol the last year or two. With the intent of having more side by side racing. Short tracks have never needed as much aero influence to get around. I think tire compounds along with the resurfacing has been the culprit

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Again I disagree not all racing is spec series. Drag racing still has plenty of true outlaw run whatya brung series around. And plenty of sportsman racing options have more wide open rules.

A true return to NASCAR would probably look more like what NASCAR was in the late 80s early 90s. There is no going back to modified cars off a showroom floor. Those days died back in probably the early 70s at the latest. Only Mustangs, Cameros and Dodge Challengers would be able to compete. And even then just like back in the early days the suspension parts would need heavily modified to work along with other mods.
    People get stuck on words. Such as "stock car" there really hasn't ever been very much that was stock about a stock car. Just like there has never been much stock about Pro stock in NHRA...or "street" in streetcar. It has always been a play on words. About the best way to describe "stock" in racing context is stock appearing, but even that requires a bit of squinted eyes to see sometimes.

Not thinking drag racing. Indy Car, NASCAR, just where can you play or outlaw? If you cannot have leeway, it is a spec series.

MM

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    It all started when they banned shorts and halter tops from the pits... IOW, they went went "corporate in an effort to maximize profits, thereby alienating their base. All the rest of the rule changes have been a (lame) attempt to recapture those fans.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It all started when they banned shorts and halter tops from the pits... IOW, they went went "corporate in an effort to maximize profits, thereby alienating their base. All the rest of the rule changes have been a (lame) attempt to recapture those fans.

Now I know those guys on the pit crews are athletic, but I still don't want to see them in shorts and halter tops. ;)

Top Bottom