• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Sorry I wasn’t able to acknowledge this silliness earlier... I was busy actually riding.

I know a few guys who RIDE their Harleys to destinations and I know a bunch who TRAILER them to destinations. I know guys who trailer to campgrounds outside of Sturgis, unload, and ride into town. Not saying that HDs are unsuitable, because the Road King is an awesome, perhaps one of the few elite, travel capable bike. But most are not set up for long trips so most HD riders seem to be using their bikes for trips to the local watering hole, the occasional poker run and other short rides.

I suppose that could be said about every brand. But HD riders seem to exude an air of bravado that betrays their actual bike use.

I’ve been approached by HD riders wondering about my Honda with its luggage cases asking if I was going on trips... they never expected the answers I gave. Pretty sure they were asking so they could belittle me if I answered in the way they expected. Now I have travel stickers on one of the boxes and they change their questions, now they ask about moto travel. Most often they admit they typically are day riders.

Ride your own ride.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I just enjoy nice motorcycles and the people that ride them. Plus its fun to bust on each other as long as jo one gets tender. But im really not the typical HD owner, I have done both in life with the ride/ trailer thing but I tend to ride more over life then trailer. My little one is on leave for two weeks starting this sat and I will head to the east coast to meet him and I will be on the super glide to get in a few thousand miles during the ride.
    I just saw a vintage bmw with a sidecar in a driveway the other night, im curious to meet that owner.
    Im a simple Harley owner, never have been big with the typical crowd that rides them. Even moreso today with so many with windshields, bags and stereos blasting.. And the super clean custumes. I hang with the ones that have owned there rides for 20 to 40 years and sometimes longer.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Sorry I wasn’t able to acknowledge this silliness earlier... I was busy actually riding.

I do find its interesting that you dont think that by and large the HD crowd dont put miles on there scooters. If i were to sit on Rt. 9 in Madison Co and watch what rides by I would bet that 90 percent that passed me would be a Harley.. I travel between quite a few different Eagles aeries and still dont see many imports parked in the lots on busy nights.
    Who knows....

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I do find its interesting that you dont think that by and large the HD crowd dont put miles on there scooters. If i were to sit on Rt. 9 in Madison Co and watch what rides by I would bet that 90 percent that passed me would be a Harley.. I travel between quite a few different Eagles aeries and still dont see many imports parked in the lots on busy nights.
    Who knows....

Yep. If you bar-hop, you more likely to see bar-hoppers.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Well I´ve done 4 IronButt rides 1 on a Goldwing and 3 on two different Harley Baggers. I do have Harley Tee shirts, but most of them have been bought by either my wife or kids for presents. Now I specifically tell them if they are going to buy me a long sleeve Tee shirt (I burn real bad because I ride a lot) to make it something other than a Harley shirt.
    I just sold my BMW GS1200A on Monday and was already regretting it on Tuesday. Back on the Harley but I found a nice Honda ST 1300 I might pick up for a fun ride. I´ve put over 250k miles on bikes and every one has been great no matter which one I was on at the time. Ride what you want, enjoy it, and keep the shiny side up.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Yep. If you bar-hop, you more likely to see bar-hoppers.

You seemed to have missed the part where we can watch what rides by on St road 9 ..
    Not many hondas ride by, maybe its a different demographic here that can afford newer and more expensive motorcycles than where you live up north... :dunno:

Edit.. So import riders dont bar hop, go to eagleriders meetings, bingo, weekend dances, shoot pool and shuffle board , car and bike shows and other community functions that happen with being a member....
    Maybe they should expand their social life a bit and they wouldn't be so sour.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well I´ve done 4 IronButt rides 1 on a Goldwing and 3 on two different Harley Baggers. I do have Harley Tee shirts, but most of them have been bought by either my wife or kids for presents. Now I specifically tell them if they are going to buy me a long sleeve Tee shirt (I burn real bad because I ride a lot) to make it something other than a Harley shirt.
    I just sold my BMW GS1200A on Monday and was already regretting it on Tuesday. Back on the Harley but I found a nice Honda ST 1300 I might pick up for a fun ride. I´ve put over 250k miles on bikes and every one has been great no matter which one I was on at the time. Ride what you want, enjoy it, and keep the shiny side up.

:yesway:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My bike and car are roughly the same size... bike has the bigger motor though. :cool:

QclTSin_d.jpg

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    Willie thanks you for spending 35 to 50 bucks on a Tee shirt...
    Funny that you dont ever see any of the 70's - 2000 Goldwings on the road...
    But you will see a sea of that vintage Harleys still on the road....
    Knuckles, Pans and Shovels.. Still leaking, still running and still can get parts for them.

I heard recently that almost 80% of the HDs made in the last 50 years are actually still on the road.

The other 20% made it home.
    :stickpoke:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I heard recently that almost 80% of the HDs made in the last 50 years are actually still on the road.

The other 20% made it home.
    :stickpoke:

:laugh:

I really don’t care what anyone rides, as long they ride... and I’ve been on both ends of the Harley jokes. Last month we did a club trip down to NC. Of the 11 bikes that went, 3 were Harleys. 2 of the 3 had parts fall off on the trip. Yes, those two caught some grief, but it was all in fun.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    :laugh:

I really don’t care what anyone rides, as long they ride... and I’ve been on both ends of the Harley jokes. Last month we did a club trip down to NC. Of the 11 bikes that went, 3 were Harleys. 2 of the 3 had parts fall off on the trip. Yes, those two caught some grief, but it was all in fun.

The best part is, the ones dropping parts are worth more now than when they were new....... :patriot: Shovelheads Rule.....

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The best part is, the ones dropping parts are worth more now than when they were new....... :patriot: Shovelheads Rule.....

Oh, these weren’t even old enough for “shedding parts” to be understandable. 2012 Ultra and a 2010 Fat Bob.

Part of my routine check on my Evo Springer was re-torquing the known culprits. Rigid mounted Evo’s were almost as bad as shovels as far as shaking stuff loose.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Oh, these weren’t even old enough for “shedding parts” to be understandable. 2012 Ultra and a 2010 Fat Bob.

Part of my routine check on my Evo Springer was re-torquing the known culprits. Rigid mounted Evo’s were almost as bad as shovels as far as shaking stuff loose.
    On that 10 and 12 thats just poor owner maintenance.... I haven't lost any parts...... yet...... off this 2010 FXDC..... When I was looking for newer I avoided 2000 to 2004 over the cam issues.... And EVO's completely... The life of owning Air Cooled....... Ride Safe....

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    On that 10 and 12 thats just poor owner maintenance.... I haven't lost any parts...... yet...... off this 2010 FXDC..... When I was looking for newer I avoided 2000 to 2004 over the cam issues.... And EVO's completely... The life of owning Air Cooled....... Ride Safe....

Yep. Both of them said “I meant to double check everything before we left”. The Ultra is the pre-Rushmore era 103 that shakes like crazy at a stop light and then is butter smooth once it starts moving. Don’t know much about the fat bob other than it looks cool with the double headlights.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Yep. Both of them said “I meant to double check everything before we left”. The Ultra is the pre-Rushmore era 103 that shakes like crazy at a stop light and then is butter smooth once it starts moving. Don’t know much about the fat bob other than it looks cool with the double headlights.

My Dana is a unbalanced 96 thats rubber mounted. It also looks like a shovel when idling and up until 2,000 rpms it runs like a shovel. Thats really what I like about it.
    I laugh about putting AMF emblems on the tins....

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I laugh about putting AMF emblems on the tins....

I learned to ride as a teenager on one of those AMF "Harley" bikes.

I also got good at pushing the bike off the road, adjusting points along the roadside, etc etc

My dad got it in a trade for something or another. I hope he didn't give too much for it. :):

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I learned to ride as a teenager on one of those AMF "Harley" bikes.

I also got good at pushing the bike off the road, adjusting points along the roadside, etc etc

My dad got it in a trade for something or another. I hope he didn't give too much for it. :):
    Sounds like you got one that passed both quality control checks.

My cousin had one of those too. I remember him riding it to our house to show it off, I wasn't old enough to have a license at the time and had a mother who would not have approved.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Oh dear Lord. I don't even want to post this.
    What happens when your bike isn't running? You watch everyone's kids while they're out having fun.
    And my wife called from the road. Her shifter fell off. Technically it's not a Harley shifter, it's aftermarket forward controls.

Top Bottom