• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Those double yellow lines are there for your safety. Ignore them at your own peril.

https://www.wane.com/news/local-news/motorcyclist-hurt-after-trying-to-pass-truck-turning-left/

Here's the motorcyclist's view as he passed:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@41.404...4!1sJ1iE2bhWf8hDiQ9j7yfnIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Part of the reason we have a law against driving on the left side of the road near or in an intersection, too. I.C. 9-21-8-8, which effectively bars passing on the left in intersections:

[FONT=&amp]IC 9-21-8-8 Driving to the left side of the roadway; conditions
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Sec. 8. (a) This section does not apply to a one-way roadway.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (b) A vehicle may not be driven to the left side of the roadway under the following conditions:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) When approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the highway where the view of the person who drives the vehicle is obstructed within a distance that creates a hazard if another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) When approaching within one hundred (100) feet of or traversing an intersection or a railroad grade crossing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](3) When the view is obstructed upon approaching within one hundred (100) feet of a bridge, viaduct, or tunnel.

No number of laws can make one apply common sense, though. [/FONT]

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Part of the reason we have a law against driving on the left side of the road near or in an intersection, too. I.C. 9-21-8-8, which effectively bars passing on the left in intersections:

[FONT=&amp]IC 9-21-8-8 Driving to the left side of the roadway; conditions
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Sec. 8. (a) This section does not apply to a one-way roadway.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (b) A vehicle may not be driven to the left side of the roadway under the following conditions:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) When approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the highway where the view of the person who drives the vehicle is obstructed within a distance that creates a hazard if another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) When approaching within one hundred (100) feet of or traversing an intersection or a railroad grade crossing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](3) When the view is obstructed upon approaching within one hundred (100) feet of a bridge, viaduct, or tunnel.

No number of laws can make one apply common sense, though. [/FONT]

Is this for motorcycles only. I've never heard of such a thing myself. I agree with #1 but #2 can get you killed.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Is this for motorcycles only. I've never heard of such a thing myself. I agree with #1 but #2 can get you killed.

No, this is a general statute applying to all vehicles traveling on a "highway," which pretty much is any publicly-maintained road open for vehicular traffic.

Unrelated observation: After I almost got struck THREE TIMES while driving my son's truck on a short trip to get gas for the mower, it seems to me that the motoring public has (temporarily, I hope) lost all sense. I am generally not a super cautious person, but I don't think I will be getting out on the bike anytime soon.

ETA: I.C. 9-21-11 has the laws specific to the operation of motorcycles (and bicycles and "electric foot scooters").

ETA (2): I.C. 9-19-7 is the handful of laws relating specifically to motorcycle equipment. Note they removed the ape hanger ban a couple of years ago. :):

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hard to tell if vehicles are waiting to turn left when they don't signal.

Might be just confused or replying to a txt? :dunno:

I nearly bought it when a pickup turned left in front of me a couple years back. No brake lights, no signal. I was lucky to find a way to ride out of it. It still haunts me how close to disaster I allowed myself to get.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    If you wrecked in your scenario, it would be perfectly understandable. What specifically boggles the mind here is the decision to pass on the left.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you wrecked in your scenario, it would be perfectly understandable. What specifically boggles the mind here is the decision to pass on the left.

Probably slowed with no turn signal... then... well, still not smart at all.

New Fortnite video:
    [video=youtube;HiOGAYOXN8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiOGAYOXN8U[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That guy overthinks things so much, I'm surprised he's ever gotten out of his garage

There's big money in posting overly thoughtful YouTube videos. And motorcycling is dangerous, so it's hard to overthink safety.

After watching, I realize that I am correct for sticking out my left leg at stops.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    There's big money in posting overly thoughtful YouTube videos. And motorcycling is dangerous, so it's hard to overthink safety.

After watching, I realize that I am correct for sticking out my left leg at stops.

I always stop left leg down, in 1st gear, and right foot on brake. Easiest way to gtfo if necessary.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I always stop left leg down, in 1st gear, and right foot on brake. Easiest way to gtfo if necessary.

Yes, and always keeping an eye in the mirror for idiots. Covering the front brake is good but taking the slack out will most likely activate the brake light and that's not a good thing.
    On a more personal note I think the guy in the video is an annoying know-it-all that makes me wanna :puke:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, and always keeping an eye in the mirror for idiots. Covering the front brake is good but taking the slack out will most likely activate the brake light and that's not a good thing.
    On a more personal note I think the guy in the video is an annoying know-it-all that makes me wanna :puke:

Well, he is Canadian. ;)

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    My 2004 Springer has a headlight with a replaceable halogen bulb, bought new in October of 2003 so I know it has never been changed. Don't do much night riding anymore, at 73 I don't do much of anything after dark. I was coming home through the country and it seemed the headlight wasn't putting out as much light as it should. It was a 50/60 watt bulb and I replaced it with a 55/100 so lots of difference. Had a friend tell me the halogen bulb does not dim with age and if it was dim there was something wrong with my charging system. With the difference in wattage it is not an apples to apples comparison. What is your experience with old bulbs, do they get dim with age or is it my eyes? Jim.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    On a more personal note I think the guy in the video is an annoying know-it-all that makes me wanna
    :puke:

I think his over-thinking and over-analysis is what makes it fun to watch this guy. It is the "WTF! effect" that his videos have on my simple mind!

FWIW, before I rode up into Canada I checked the pre-load on my brake level to see where it engaged the light. Once you know when/where in the pre-load you trigger the light, you can safely use the technique he showed. And I actually had a couple moose run out in front of me. Fortunately far enough that I enjoyed the experience, and the majesty of the animals, not so close that they turned to consider me a threat and charge.

My 2004 Springer has a headlight with a replaceable halogen bulb, bought new in October of 2003 so I know it has never been changed. Don't do much night riding anymore, at 73 I don't do much of anything after dark. I was coming home through the country and it seemed the headlight wasn't putting out as much light as it should. It was a 50/60 watt bulb and I replaced it with a 55/100 so lots of difference. Had a friend tell me the halogen bulb does not dim with age and if it was dim there was something wrong with my charging system. With the difference in wattage it is not an apples to apples comparison. What is your experience with old bulbs, do they get dim with age or is it my eyes? Jim.
    I'm guessing electrical system. I just replaced a battery in one of our scooters. So plenty of power. Dim bulb. Something is wrong somewhere in the wires. My bet with yours too.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County

A lot of electrical problems can be traced to a bad ground. Check the grounding points of the electrical system on your bike.

Top Bottom