• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    If you're on 136 - then probably not. ;)

I wrote it up above, but it bears repeating: If you haven't, read David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling. Every library probably has a copy in print and/or digital.
    thanks. I'll probably also look for an advanced skills course. I've participated in enough high risk activities to want to prepare for the unexpected.

I'll always wave back or nod, but I don't always initiate.

And if you're on a Harvey Danielson blasting AC/DC (in town) and rocking shorts and a Tshirt, you're more likely to get a disapproving head shake from me.
    Heh. I don't see me giving up the long pants anytime soon. I'm old enough to know it takes a long time to heal. I'll definitely always wear a helmet.

I don't know what I will ride or how long I'll keep the Kawasaki. It's fine for me, for now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The wind will effect you more when riding at the higher speeds of the interstates.

Conversely, on the interstate, intersections are non-existent, thus way fewer opportunities for cars to cut, pull out or turn in front of you.

Your regular (15-30 second?) viewing of the mirrors is more critical at higher interstate speeds, but varies a lot according to how much traffic surrounds you.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I just learned to ride last year at age 55 :)

I had ridden on the back of a motorcycle with boyfriends when I was younger, but I found it pretty boring.

My husband used to ride when he was younger, and bought a Harley a few years ago (now that the kids are grown up and not taking all of our time and money)

Last year he bought a Kawasaki Versys for my son and I to learn on. I took the rider class in May and got my motorcycle endorsement.

Yesterday was my first time on a "highway " I rode on 136 for a while. And I discovered the motorcycle "wave". I apparently still need to practice the subtle art of the motorcycle wave, because my initial reaction was to raise my hand and wave which was obviously uncool.

When I get some more practice in moderate traffic, I will ride the 36 miles into work in Indy one day. I have a backroads paved route that I used to ride my bicycle on, but am not in great shape for that at the moment. I'm also not ready for interstates.

See you out there?

We Hoosiers are lucky we don't have to look very hard for great riding. This article here covers a good part of the state. https://ridermagazine.com/2017/12/2...iana-motorcycle-touring-in-the-hoosier-state/

The motorcycle wave is like the "Low Bones". The following explains. WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE

[video=youtube;G6FC8y8TByg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6FC8y8TByg[/video]

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    After reading about the Huffman covered bridge route I decided to see it for myself today. Only 15 miles from the house but i'd never been.I was very disappointed. It's in bad shape.

bridge.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    After reading about the Huffman covered bridge route I decided to see it for myself today. Only 15 miles from the house but i'd never been.I was very disappointed. It's in bad shape.

View attachment 88922

I was riding over past Ft Wayne, riding with my wife, we found an old covered bridge that was a bit more Scenic than this one. But barricaded off with cement barriers.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I had the occasion to use my horn today while on a 4 lane rural highway. Running along at about 55mph when a Dodge Caravan decided he wanted my lane. He was polite enough to use his turn signal. I was in the left lane, he was in the right. I was in alignment with his rear wheel well when I saw the front turn signal start to flash and he slowly started to move into my lane, a long but reasonably impotent "tweet" of the factory horn and he pulled back into his lane, I passed with a polite wave. As bad as the factory horn is on my bike I was glad the driver had his window down so I was fortunate he could hear it.

Very likely I had moved into his blind spot. No harm, no foul. I'm sure appreciate the friendly wave instead of the middle finger. I know I appreciated the heads up from the turn signal.

The low volume of the factory horn, one of those things that is always on my "to do list" will be moved up the priority ladder to top of the heap. Just need to decide which horn to buy. Really looking for a simple plug and play, or close to a plug and play.

Looking at the "Denali Sound Bomb MINI"

YouTube --> [video=youtube;X4AYs3eRv2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4AYs3eRv2Y&feature=emb_title[/video]

Yes sir. We actually have a cabin for the weekend in Pigeon Forge, but the Dragon is the purpose of the trip.

Have fun. Post photos!

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Stepson stopped by with a Heritage Softail. He traded in his 650R. He already had the pack off, the speakers and the head unit changed. Now he's looking for a skinny seat and highway pegs.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Spent a lot of time in Gatlinburg and owned several rental cabins. I sold the year before the fire. :rockwoot:

It was a good kept secret, now it's a yearly HOG ride.

I always rode down to Cherokee, went to the leather shop and the ice cream shop. The overlook stops are worth the view.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I had the occasion to use my horn today while on a 4 lane rural highway. Running along at about 55mph when a Dodge Caravan decided he wanted my lane. He was polite enough to use his turn signal. I was in the left lane, he was in the right. I was in alignment with his rear wheel well when I saw the front turn signal start to flash and he slowly started to move into my lane, a long but reasonably impotent "tweet" of the factory horn and he pulled back into his lane, I passed with a polite wave. As bad as the factory horn is on my bike I was glad the driver had his window down so I was fortunate he could hear it.

Very likely I had moved into his blind spot. No harm, no foul. I'm sure appreciate the friendly wave instead of the middle finger. I know I appreciated the heads up from the turn signal.

The low volume of the factory horn, one of those things that is always on my "to do list" will be moved up the priority ladder to top of the heap. Just need to decide which horn to buy. Really looking for a simple plug and play, or close to a plug and play.

Looking at the "Denali Sound Bomb MINI"

YouTube --> [video=youtube;X4AYs3eRv2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4AYs3eRv2Y&feature=emb_title[/video]

Have fun. Post photos!
    I don't know about the Denali you are looking at but I have snapped quite a few cager's necks with a Wolo Bad Boy air horn!

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If you're on 136 - then probably not. ;)

I wrote it up above, but it bears repeating: If you haven't, read David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling. Every library probably has a copy in print and/or digital.

I'll always wave back or nod, but I don't always initiate.

And if you're on a Harvey Danielson blasting AC/DC (in town) and rocking shorts and a Tshirt, you're more likely to get a disapproving head shake from me.

I said a negative to a new generation rider that pulled into Halo's bar in Alex a few years ago blasting music on a shiny bagger...... He told me I dont understand... I laughed as I kicked the Shovel to life...

Anybody heading to downtown Anderson tonight for Bikes on Meridian 6 to 10pm..

Top Bottom