• ...and so much more!
  • I Invented the Internet

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    IN
    For some reason I'd assumed that his rino horns had grown too large & heavy over time, causing neck problems.

On a serious note, I sincerely hope he recovers. And then immediately retires.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And why is there only a term limit on the Executive Branch? Shouldn't the rules be the same for the Legislative Branch?
    The term limit for the President came about when FDR successfully broke the tradition of serving more than 2 terms as President.

No way Congress would ever impose term limits on themselves.
    It would take an Article V Convention of the States to get that Amendment to the US Constitution proposed for the states to ratify.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It would take an Article V Convention of the States to get that Amendment to the US Constitution proposed for the states to ratify.
    Which is what should happen, but you just know the leftists would be pushing for other amendments that would codify (and therefore justify) their warped agenda. I doubt anything would get done.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I will note that to his credit, McConnell did manage to keep that **** sucking mother ******* worthless piece of **** commonly referred to as garland off of the bench. Still, it's nibbling at the edges.

When the central state has so much power that the seat of a single senator or a single judge means that much, the central state has grown beyond its boundaries much like a malignant tumor.

Secession is LONG past due.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    "This "conservative party" is a party which never conserves anything. Its history has been that it demurs to each aggression of the progressive party, and aims to save its credit by a respectable amount of growling, but always acquiesces at last in the innovation. What was the resisted novelty of yesterday is today one of the accepted principles of conservatism; it is now conservative only in affecting to resist the next innovation, which will tomorrow be forced upon its timidity and will be succeeded by some third revolution; to be denounced and then adopted in its turn. American conservatism is merely the shadow that follows Radicalism as it moves forward towards perdition. It remains behind it, but never retards it, and always advances near its leader. This pretended salt hath utterly lost its savor: wherewith shall it be salted? Its impotency is not hard, indeed, to explain. It is worthless because it is the conservatism of expediency only, and not of sturdy principle. It intends to risk nothing serious for the sake of the truth, and has no idea of being guilty of the folly of martyrdom. It always when about to enter a protest very blandly informs the wild beast whose path it essays to stop, that its “bark is worse than its bite,” and that it only means to save its manners by enacting its decent role of resistance: The only practical purpose which it now subserves in American politics is to give enough exercise to Radicalism to keep it “in wind,” and to prevent its becoming pursy and lazy, from having nothing to whip.”

Robert Lewis Dabney

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I will suggest that only by limiting the ability to extort the States, steal and redistribute the wealth of the citizenry at the most basic level, and limit how long one may suckle from the teet of state can lasting corrections be achieved.

I still believe the post below is appropriate.

Post in thread 'What is your ideal political structure?' https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/what-is-your-ideal-political-structure.521105/post-9148606

I have added a repeal of the 17th Amendment in the most current iteration. (with appreciation to @BigRed )

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do. But only until team red and team blue can figure out a way to bastardize it, such that we end up back where we started. But those few years after term limits start and before they figure out the new cheat.....
    Really, if term limits weren't a negative to the pols, why do they fight against it so hard?
    You are assuming the “cheat” is primarily from the elected. I do not. The worst “cheat” of the people is the permanent class or deep state.

When Gun grabber Di Fi dies or finally retires from the senate,will her replacement be better, or worse than her? My bet is worse, and certainly not better.

When Braun returns to be governor will his replacement be better or worse for us? Again, my bet is worse, probably more like Young.

Where does this thinking that term limits will miraculously get politicians that are better for 2A proponents and conservatives? All that term limits do is get rid of the few good ones we have.

Change my mind…

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    You are assuming the “cheat” is primarily from the elected. I do not. The worst “cheat” of the people is the permanent class or deep state.

When Gun grabber Di Fi dies or finally retires from the senate,will her replacement be better, or worse than her? My bet is worse, and certainly not better.

When Braun returns to be governor will his replacement be better or worse for us? Again, my bet is worse, probably more like Young.

Where does this thinking that term limits will miraculously get politicians that are better for 2A proponents and conservatives? All that term limits do is get rid of the few good ones we have.

Change my mind…

Never will.

The individual States need to reassert their respective positions.

Will it be "utopia"? Hell no. However, keeping government close is much akin to the wisdom of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer. Cut the central state escape route, there is an opportunity for greater accountability over delagates when you can see them face to face.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Which is what should happen, but you just know the leftists would be pushing for other amendments that would codify (and therefore justify) their warped agenda. I doubt anything would get done.
    Yes, the runaway convention fear has been spoken about, but in reality, it can't happen, being the obstacles it takes to pass a proposed amendment, and then to get 38 states to ratify it.
    Go to about 2:10 in this video and Mark Levin speaks about this.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Well, with Fetterman as the shining example, there's clearly no reason a severely brain damaged person can't hold a Senate seat. Right?

On one hand, McConnell is a terrible RINO who didn't conserve much of anything, or stack any wins for the conservative side except tax cuts for wealthy people. On the other hand, he did stop a lot of absolutely lunatic Democratic ideas and kept Garland off the bench, which is the sole reason why 80+ million Americans remain employable. I wanna be happy he's gone, but I have very little faith in the modern GOP not to capitulate worse with him gone.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well, with Fetterman as the shining example, there's clearly no reason a severely brain damaged person can't hold a Senate seat. Right?
    Look around...executive position is the same...so are several other senate positions.

Feinstein anyone?

330,000,000+ folks and this is what passes for "the best and brightest"...a gaggle of ******* idiotic communists.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Change my mind…
    You forgot to mention that the bureaucracy becomes even more powerful in that scenario, being the consistent foundation for those rotating congress critters.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana

Change my mind…
    If term limits are so good for the Di Fi types, and and bad for the occasional 'good ones', why do they fight term limits tooth and nail? Imagine Di Fi hadn't spent the last 30 years in her seat....

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If term limits are so good for the Di Fi types, and and bad for the occasional 'good ones', why do they fight term limits tooth and nail? Imagine Di Fi hadn't spent the last 30 years in her seat....
    Because while we are looking to change them all out, Di Fi wants to keep Di Fi at the trough, that us why they fight it tooth and nail.

When was the last time a California senator was not from the same mold? Even if term limited the results would have been the same. However most red states seem to have a good senator and a RINO, look at Texas, if we had term limits does a Cruz type replace Cornyn or vice versa? Far from a guarantee that a Cruz type wins even in Texas.

What makes folks so certain term limits will result in more conservatives winning the open contests instead of losing more?

I once argued for term limits but deeper research into the topic led me to understand it will not stymie the left, it will take out our best.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Because while we are looking to change them all out, Di Fi wants to keep Di Fi at the trough, that us why they fight it tooth and nail.

When was the last time a California senator was not from the same mold? Even if term limited the results would have been the same. However most red states seem to have a good senator and a RINO, look at Texas, if we had term limits does a Cruz type replace Cornyn or vice versa? Far from a guarantee that a Cruz type wins even in Texas.

What makes folks so certain term limits will result in more conservatives winning the open contests instead of losing more?

I once argued for term limits but deeper research into the topic led me to understand it will not stymie the left, it will take out our best.
    I don't feel that any elected rep should spend their lifetime in office. The less entrenchment the better. If Di Fi was bad, and her replacement will be bad, then only Di Fi benefitted from being in office 30+ years. It's net positive for Di Fi, net neutral/negative for us. Who knows, maybe Di Fi would have been replaced with someone equally as diabolical but less effective?? I can't guarantee terms limits create better pols in perpetuity. But for a period they might. And I don't see any benefit to not having term limits. Entrenched politicians are the bane of election politics, in my opinion. Life lone politicians should stop feeding at the public trough.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't feel that any elected rep should spend their lifetime in office. The less entrenchment the better. If Di Fi was bad, and her replacement will be bad, then only Di Fi benefitted from being in office 30+ years. It's net positive for Di Fi, net neutral/negative for us. Who knows, maybe Di Fi would have been replaced with someone equally as diabolical but less effective?? I can't guarantee terms limits create better pols in perpetuity. But for a period they might. And I don't see any benefit to not having term limits. Entrenched politicians are the bane of election politics, in my opinion. Life lone politicians should stop feeding at the public trough.
    Actually way higher on the list is to take out the DC permanent class. Unfortunately Trump did not figure this out until it was too late. He did try at the eleventh hour but it was too little too late. We must cut staff for Congress too. I believe each rep has near twenty staffers. People complain about how much the elected are paid, that is a pittance compared to all the staffers.

We need to neuter DC, the best way to achieve term limits is to make them actually work and stop the figurehead BS that is run by a fleet of staffers. Congress critters having drivers? Who the heck pays for that? Then Di Fi‘s is a Chinese spy? Stop permanent DC and you will see the results you are hoping term limits deliver…

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    "This "conservative party" is a party which never conserves anything. Its history has been that it demurs to each aggression of the progressive party, and aims to save its credit by a respectable amount of growling, but always acquiesces at last in the innovation. What was the resisted novelty of yesterday is today one of the accepted principles of conservatism; it is now conservative only in affecting to resist the next innovation, which will tomorrow be forced upon its timidity and will be succeeded by some third revolution; to be denounced and then adopted in its turn. American conservatism is merely the shadow that follows Radicalism as it moves forward towards perdition. It remains behind it, but never retards it, and always advances near its leader. This pretended salt hath utterly lost its savor: wherewith shall it be salted? Its impotency is not hard, indeed, to explain. It is worthless because it is the conservatism of expediency only, and not of sturdy principle. It intends to risk nothing serious for the sake of the truth, and has no idea of being guilty of the folly of martyrdom. It always when about to enter a protest very blandly informs the wild beast whose path it essays to stop, that its “bark is worse than its bite,” and that it only means to save its manners by enacting its decent role of resistance: The only practical purpose which it now subserves in American politics is to give enough exercise to Radicalism to keep it “in wind,” and to prevent its becoming pursy and lazy, from having nothing to whip.”

Robert Lewis Dabney
    Good writing.

Knew it couldn’t be BigRed’s writing: No ********’s!

Top Bottom