Just ordered my first factory-built AR...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just rub it in...

OK. :D

VTAC2_zps74282c24.jpg

Added a MIAD grip, ambi safety, Magpul trigger guard, MVG, BCM Gunfighter charging handle, white light and Aimpoint. She's ready to go. Iron sights will come later.

I wasn't sure if I would like the Geissele SSA trigger, but it's pretty slick. It's single stage and the break is a bit spongy, but it is a definite improvement over mil-spec (if I was going to pony up my own bucks for a Geissele trigger, it'd be a 2-stage of some sort).

Won't be able to get it out to shoot for a little while, but I'm excited!

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This. ;) Very good looking AR. I wonder how the smith compares to the new FNs...

The FN is basically a clone of the Colt LE6920. It has a 1x7 chrome-lined M4 barrel w/ carbine gas, while this particular S&W has a 1x8 5R-rifled Melonited medium-contour barrel with mid-length gas. Apples and oranges.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I wasn't sure if I would like the Geissele SSA trigger, but it's pretty slick. It's single stage and the break is a bit spongy, but it is a definite improvement over mil-spec (if I was going to pony up my own bucks for a Geissele trigger, it'd be a 2-stage of some sort).

? the SSA is a two-stage....

It's not as crisp as others (by their own admission). You can step up to an SSA-E or even one of their match triggers for a vast improvement, but the SSA is made to be reliable even after thousands of rounds of wear...

http://d3cfki0l5o2ps6.cloudfront.net/media/files/Super_Semi-Automatic_SSA_Trigger-05-101.pdf

The second stage break is like a carrot rather than an icicle.
    The Geissele SSA is a 2 stage trigger where there is generous overlap of the sear surfaces which contributes to safety...
    Trigger timing is robust and parts have been sized to operate with a certain amount of wear to the working surfaces

it's that timing of the sear that gives the second stage that bit of a spongy feel. But this is where other triggers often fail after they get some wear, they "loose their second stage" because the hammer falls off the hook before it hits the second stage sear.

I have the SSA-E in my 3-gun rifle and am very happy with it. I put the match/adjustable in a bench gun I put together for my dad and it's just.... awesome.

-rvb

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom