• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm going to throw out something for discussion....

If you want to initiate a contact on a repeater for a QSO or a radio check, whatever.... hit the PTT, pause for 2-3 seconds, give your call, what you want, and then state what frequency or repeater you are on (or talkgroup/reflector/etc if digital).

I usually have my 2m/440 radios scanning all the local/regional repeaters and a couple of common simplex frequencies. My DMR is scanning a couple of repeaters and a dozen talkgroups.

It's become a bit of a pet peeve when all I hear is the last letter of a call sign because you don't give scanning radios time to lock onto your carrier, and then say something like "on frequency" or "can I get a radio check?"

Well, no. Sorry, I can't give you a signal report... By the time I look at my radio, especially if I'm driving or standing in the other room, etc, my radio is scanning again and I have NO idea what frequency you are on. Oh, you're "on frequency?" great... what frequency? Guess I'll just start with memory location #1 calling "station ending in 'YZ,' are you on THIS frequency?" :)

It easy to start with: "[long pause] This is [call sign], I'm looking for a signal report on the 146.88 repeater, please." Cool, then I can take my radio out of scan, turn to that frequency, and answer.

Seems lately I've heard a LOT of un-answered call outs and I suspect this is a big reason why.

rant over. :)

-rvb

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I've never given scanning radios a thought. When I ask for a radio check I use the 146.7 repeter which is pretty active so it's a non issue. But I totally get where your coming from.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Certainly there's some level of familiarity that happens. An area might have a repeater that's used the most for whatever reason (coverage, belongs to a large club, etc), or you might start to associate certain operators with certain repeaters. But I guess I'm not one to key up a repeater just because I -think- the calling station could be there. So I ignore it... With my dual band, I don't even know what band I heard them on...

I'm also surprised how quickly people give up.... Several times I've heard call outs, either "listening" or "radio check", and I may not know where they are but I figure that now that I'm watching I will see what frequency he's on next time he keys up... but that's it, never hear from him again. So does the guy who asks for a radio check one time assume he's not getting out when really guys like me are waiting to see what freq he's on in order to respond? And it's possible my radio has briefly locked onto another frequency and I missed you. If you call a second time my scan might be back around to hear you....

Of the hams I personally know, most do scan VHF/UHF (incl digital). Perhaps that's not as common as I thought? Maybe most sit on a particular frequency or repeater? When I call my friends whom I'm know to scan, and who always have multiple radios/bands up, I do like I said above .. "[looong PTT pause] X X this is Y calling on [freq/mode/talkgroup/etc]." It really helps to get through.

-rvb

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I scan local repeaters all the time while traveling. Not so much at home.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    just curious, is that because you aren't listening to them at home (too busy doing HF or other stuff)? Or you have a particular one you like to use and don't scan? availability of repeaters in your area?

-rvb

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    On a related note, I never would have expected him to be a HAM.

Eagles Guitarist Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, Promotes Amateur Radio in Media Announcements | QRZ Now ? Amateur Radio News

Just an ordinary average guy..

Yes he is. I have done some work for him. Super nice fellow. He sent me a autographed mic for appreciation of some work I did for him. It was a cool project. It really wasn't work for me. I had a great time doing it.

Vintage Station QRV at W1AW I'll see if you can figure out which one of the guys I am.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I only use uhf/vhf during drive time. Usually glued to one repeater. Most of the repeaters around here are dead unless it's net time. My pet peeve....ops that start talking, giving their call, into the mic before they push the button. How hard is it?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Agreed, Bob. More likely they are pushing the button just as they start and it takes a sec for everything to spin up. Personally I hit the mic as I inhale to give the equipment a half sec to catch up.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Just to address a pet peeve. Ham is not an acronym (NASA, CIA, NSA), therefore should not be capitalized. While I'm at it. 73 means 'Best regards'. Therefore saying 73's is akin to 'Best regardses'. Or maybe 'Bestest Regardses'. The ones that totally slay me are the people that go 'best 73's'. Omg really? There's so much love in that phrase it's damn near a marriage proposal. :rolleyes:

1911y makes the second ham I've 'met' that has done work for Joe Walsh. :rockwoot: The other one also interviewed him.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    just curious, is that because you aren't listening to them at home (too busy doing HF or other stuff)? Or you have a particular one you like to use and don't scan? availability of repeaters in your area?

-rvb

Usually at home I have the scanners running or I do have the ham frequencies running on the same scanner but I don't sense enough activity there and I'm usually not in the conversational mood when I'm at home so when I go down to the actual Radio Room then I pay more attention but on scanning I'm just listening to see if something important has come up

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Looks like FT8Call is gaining in popularity. One feature being considered is store and forward capability. Let that sink in.

2018-08-21_0927.png

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Looks like FT8Call is gaining in popularity. One feature being considered is store and forward capability. Let that sink in.

2018-08-21_0927.png

:wow:
    :rockwoot:
    :yesway:

all kinds of neat stuff you can do with that capability. the fwd piece can get tricky (not technically, but w/in fcc rules). but sounds fun. I've been too busy lately... been wanting to D/L the ft8call and play around with it, just haven't had the time...

-rvb

Last edited:

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    I personally am quite content with my present amateur radio license plate. Simple , plain, and highly visible. When people ask about my plate I have a chance to extoll the virtues of amateur radio.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Hold off on downloading FT8Call the latest build is about to drop to the public maybe this week. Been testing some pretty cool things with it. You can send your grid locator over to APRS.fi. Can also send a short email through that. Better GUI, Fixed the heard list bugs. You can ask another station, what stations they are hearing. Good way to pick one to relay through. It's really coming along.

2018-08-30_1458.png

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Been using a lot of FT8Call and enjoy it. So much so that I bought up the domain name FT8Call.com and started a fan/user made resource for it.

Nice I did not know that was you, I thought that Russian guy started your site.

Just picked up R Pi 3 B+ this week and gps dongle on the way. My first try at Rpi looking forward to it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom