• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I forgot to bring in my radio or I'd call out to see if you could hear me on the local TG. We could do that this evening, coordinating on one of the FM repeaters.

I set up different zones for the different repeaters. A zone for MMQ and a zone for MTF. Then I set a scan group that lets me monitor both. Then it's easy to know which repeater/TG I'm on (though there is some overlap, eg the scan picks up 3118 on both, so if I hear something, which one was it? adding a second 3118 contact w/ a "B" is a good idea, I may steal that). But it makes it straight fwd if I'm getting on the air.... switch to the correct zone, then the correct TG.

Lots of ways to organize it, but being organized is key.

-rvb

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I forgot to bring in my radio or I'd call out to see if you could hear me on the local TG. We could do that this evening, coordinating on one of the FM repeaters.

I set up different zones for the different repeaters. A zone for MMQ and a zone for MTF. Then I set a scan group that lets me monitor both. Then it's easy to know which repeater/TG I'm on (though there is some overlap, eg the scan picks up 3118 on both, so if I hear something, which one was it? adding a second 3118 contact w/ a "B" is a good idea, I may steal that). But it makes it straight fwd if I'm getting on the air.... switch to the correct zone, then the correct TG.

Lots of ways to organize it, but being organized is key.

-rvb

Started fresh, from scratch, I am hearing traffic on North America MMQ, can not get the parrot or audio test on MMQ or MTF to work yet but making progress.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Confirmed tx/rx on both networks. Now I just have to fill them out with popular groups and start adding more repeaters. Wish I could put my route to FL in repeaterbook and have it build a DMR file for me. I got the parrot to work on BM by making it a private call.
    2018-03-23_1043.png

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Confirmed tx/rx on both networks. Now I just have to fill them out with popular groups and start adding more repeaters. Wish I could put my route to FL in repeaterbook and have it build a DMR file for me. I got the parrot to work on BM by making it a private call.
    2018-03-23_1043.png

One thing I do when I travel is put in all the repeaters I want along the way, even in one zone if it will fit. I then create a scan list that scans those repeaters and TGs I care about (which may even cross several zones). This way as I'm driving, I can hear NA-3 or 310 for instance on whatever repeater I'm close to, without having to fiddle w/ the radio as I drive. a poor-mans trunking, if you will. You can also make use of rx-groups here.

For a destination repeater, I sometimes enter the repeater and just one TG in for each time slot. Then scanning those two TGs/TSs I can hear everything coming out of that repeater if I put the radio in "promiscuous" mode (if your radio has that). Then if I want to talk, I just ad-hoc the TG.

Finally, if your radio allows you to edit the settings from the keypad/menu, then I like to have a zone I call "flex." I put maybe 10 channels in it, which allows for 5 repeaters (2 time slots each). (eg channels might be called something like RPTR1/TS1, RPTR1/TS2, RPTR2/TS1, RPTR2/TS2, etc). This way if I take the radio somewhere and I haven't actually put the local repeaters in my code plug, I can edit the RX/TX freq and color code from the menu, and then ad-hoc the TG and be on the air in just a minute, no computer/code-plug or pre-planning necessary...

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    cool. good job. once you get it figured out, it gets easy. I'm usually on every couple nights on mmq / local-2 (3116 IIRC?) chatting with some friends and once a week or so I get on NA (3). I mostly use MMQ as I can't reliably get into MTF. It's fun to be able to reach back from other parts of the country with nothing more than a handheld, even if it is relying on an internet backbone.

there's a few fun features to play with, like connecting DMR to echolink, or sending text messages...

-rvb

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    If anyone is in southern Indiana, here is an active Facebook group for Southern Indiana Amateur Radio Operators: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SIARO/

Disclaimer: It's my page, and I'd be happy if you joined even if you're in southern Indiana. Just a way to connect hams with other hams outside of their local clubs but still within their immediate relative geographic region. We have a weekly simplex net and a schedule of all club nets in the region that is updated when new nets are made known.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Game changing new software in beta. We all know how amazing FT8 can be for weak signal work right? Mix that protocol with an fsqcall style interface and boom, keyboard to keyboard messaging using FT8, not just call sign and grids. Been testing for about two weeks, next update will be reverse beacons.

2018-07-15_1951.png

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Head over to Portable Digital & QRP on FB for scheds and info. And here https://groups.io/g/ft8call

It's a small testing group now, I would like get some guys here up and running on it so I test out 80m coverage.

cool! I've been wondering if thatwould be the next step in ft8. It'll be this weekend before I can spend time on it but I will pass along to my ham mentor and maybe he'll be up in the next couple days on it.

-rvb

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Nice, let me know usually I leave it on 20m most of the time to see how well the guys in Europe and query my station when I am not awake. But could easily move over to the 80m testing freq to see how well we propagate regionally.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    oh, missed that part. I don't have an antenna up for 80m. :( but my mentor does... I just mentioned it to him and he seemed interested.
    Assume this is someone other than franke & taylor, building this app on top of their DSP algorithm?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    We are close enough to use any band lol.

It's ham radio engineers always find something to gripe about, and they are complaining about this, but the development is on the up and up.

[FONT=&quot]Let me be perfectly clear to the group... FT8Call is not violating the terms of the GPL.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]FT8Call is a derivative of the WSJT-X application, restructured and redesigned for keyboard-to-keyboard message passing. It is not supported by nor endorsed by the WSJT-X development group. While the WSJT-X group maintains copyright over the original work and code, FT8Call is a derivative work licensed under in accordance with the terms of the GPLv3 license. Source code can be found in this public repository: https://bitbucket.org/widefido/wsjtx/
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Many members of the WSJT-X development group frown upon derivatives. However, Joe Taylor himself blessed my experimentation early this year: https://sourceforge.net/p/wsjt/mailman/message/36224660/[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

"Please don't let my comment discourage you from proceeding as you wish, toward something new. -- Joe, K1JT"​
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So rest assured that we will be sticking around ;)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Again, thank you very much for raising this thread. I appreciate it and hope that y'all in this group enjoy testing the application while in development. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cheers![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Best,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Jordan[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]KN4CRD[/FONT]

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    didn't mean anything by the question... I knew F&T made the modes open source.
    I was just wondering if this was being done by F&T and going to be part of WSJT or a new entity building their protocol on top of the FT8 dsp and therefore another program...
    sounds like the latter.
    :yesway:
    -rvb

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom