• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Saturday - 30 miles at 8:10 per mile on single track in brown county state park. Heard a rattle snake.
    Sunday - 7 miles easy on the road. Felt like crap (as I should).
    Monday - 10 miles easy. Felt better.
    Tuesday - 8x .45 mile up a steep hill focusing on form and keeping the downhill pace up. 10 miles total for the day.
    Wednesday - Completely depleted, took the day off.
    Thursday - Lots more energy. 8 miles at 5:33 per mile. 10 miles total with warm up and cool down.
    Friday - Friday is run to work day. 9 miles.
    Saturday - Plan 25 miles in BCSP on single track with lots of hills.
    Sunday - Plan 7-10 miles easy.

7 More weeks to race day.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Saturday - 30 miles at 8:10 per mile on single track in brown county state park. Heard a rattle snake.
    Sunday - 7 miles easy on the road. Felt like crap (as I should).
    Monday - 10 miles easy. Felt better.
    Tuesday - 8x .45 mile up a steep hill focusing on form and keeping the downhill pace up. 10 miles total for the day.
    Wednesday - Completely depleted, took the day off.
    Thursday - Lots more energy. 8 miles at 5:33 per mile. 10 miles total with warm up and cool down.
    Friday - Friday is run to work day. 9 miles.
    Saturday - Plan 25 miles in BCSP on single track with lots of hills.
    Sunday - Plan 7-10 miles easy.

7 More weeks to race day.

Which single track in brown county? Was it Nebo?

My younger brother was riding Nebo about 3 weeks ago, and ran over a snake. Freaked him out, but he was glad it wasn't a rattler.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've done 40 yard sprints uphill two nights this week, two 3+ mile brisk walks, and one 2.25 mile run. Next week I'm probably gonna cut out the walks and the distance run, as I'll be back at work, and am hoping to do 3 nights of the 40 yard sprints. I did 8 reps of sprints early in the week, and 9 reps the second time. Wife signed us up for another 5k in late August, so I'll be able to measure the effect the sprints have had on me (hadn't started doing sprints when we ran the last 5K a few weeks ago). I can tell I'm getting more comfortable running at a faster pace, but I'm still not happy with my lung capacity.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Brown County State Park. I go to Morgan Monroe State Forrest a lot as well.

I rarely run Nebo in the summer. That place is a haven for ticks. I only run there in the early spring, late fall, and winter. Plus, the horses are a pain in the ass to deal with.

I've seen rattlers in BCSP, and water snakes are pretty common to come across as well. Saw one copper head. Lots of garder snakes out on all of those trails as well.

Which single track in brown county? Was it Nebo?

My younger brother was riding Nebo about 3 weeks ago, and ran over a snake. Freaked him out, but he was glad it wasn't a rattler.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lung capacity????? Do you mean your o2 system's capability? You aren't growing your lungs...

5k for you will be mostly an aerobic exercise since you'll have to go at a low percentage of o2 threshold to complete it. Wind sprints and stuff like that won't benefit your 5k time much other than getting you marginally more fit than you were.

Your 5k time would benefit most from increasing distance and your oxygen system's capabilities. "Building a base" as they say. If you want to learn more about the basics, read up on "Lydiard's" training philosophies. They give a good base of knowledge on distance training fundamentals.

I've done 40 yard sprints uphill two nights this week, two 3+ mile brisk walks, and one 2.25 mile run. Next week I'm probably gonna cut out the walks and the distance run, as I'll be back at work, and am hoping to do 3 nights of the 40 yard sprints. I did 8 reps of sprints early in the week, and 9 reps the second time. Wife signed us up for another 5k in late August, so I'll be able to measure the effect the sprints have had on me (hadn't started doing sprints when we ran the last 5K a few weeks ago). I can tell I'm getting more comfortable running at a faster pace, but I'm still not happy with my lung capacity.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Brown County State Park. I go to Morgan Monroe State Forrest a lot as well.

I rarely run Nebo in the summer. That place is a haven for ticks. I only run there in the early spring, late fall, and winter. Plus, the horses are a pain in the ass to deal with.

I've seen rattlers in BCSP, and water snakes are pretty common to come across as well. Saw one copper head. Lots of garder snakes out on all of those trails as well.

I'm heading to town run this weekend. I'm sure there are no rattlers there :)

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    My work place started a walking program using MOVbands to record steps/miles etc. I walk a lot for my job (IT work on a college campus) averaging 8 miles per day. Plus I get walks in the evenings and weekends with the dog. Since I have been doing this my weight has gone from 210 to 196. Around father's day I decided to start to tone up a bit. So I went out and bought resistance bands. I must say they are awesome. I have about 7 different exercises I do, with 30 reps for each, doing three sets. I have now incorporated core strengthning exercises too. I have much more endurance and my strength has improved. And it is low impact too. So if any of you are looking to improve your health and fitness. Start walking, give the resistance bands and the core stuff a shot. There are a lot of videos on-line that show how to do the exercises correctly. Hey I figured I am turning 60 in February, time to get going on the fitness thing. It's never too late.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Lung capacity????? Do you mean your o2 system's capability? You aren't growing your lungs...

5k for you will be mostly an aerobic exercise since you'll have to go at a low percentage of o2 threshold to complete it. Wind sprints and stuff like that won't benefit your 5k time much other than getting you marginally more fit than you were.

Your 5k time would benefit most from increasing distance and your oxygen system's capabilities. "Building a base" as they say. If you want to learn more about the basics, read up on "Lydiard's" training philosophies. They give a good base of knowledge on distance training fundamentals.
    Yes, oxygen efficiency is what I was meaning, I guess. I don't seem to have any issues when running other than getting winded, my legs don't give out on me, I'm fairly happy with the times I've put up in the previous 5ks we've done this year, and other than knocking another minute and a half or so off my time, I'm not really interested in getting into really competitive times. I just want to not get so dang winded when I run a few miles.

At this point, I actually enjoy running the relative short distances I run, and am more interested in finding the "right" method of staying at or near my current weight, just trying different things. The 5ks are just something to keep things interesting (that and my wife really likes running them), but I can see myself in a year or so wanting to up the distance and do some longer races, it's all new to me, since I pretty much couldn't even run across my living room at the beginning of this year.

Oh, and it's very weird you mentioned Lydiard, as I had never heard of him until just a few days ago when I stumbled across an article about him and his program while Google searching distance running! I've definitely got some studying to do!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Right on. It's all about finding what makes you happy and healthy.

Yes, oxygen efficiency is what I was meaning, I guess. I don't seem to have any issues when running other than getting winded, my legs don't give out on me, I'm fairly happy with the times I've put up in the previous 5ks we've done this year, and other than knocking another minute and a half or so off my time, I'm not really interested in getting into really competitive times. I just want to not get so dang winded when I run a few miles.

At this point, I actually enjoy running the relative short distances I run, and am more interested in finding the "right" method of staying at or near my current weight, just trying different things. The 5ks are just something to keep things interesting (that and my wife really likes running them), but I can see myself in a year or so wanting to up the distance and do some longer races, it's all new to me, since I pretty much couldn't even run across my living room at the beginning of this year.

Oh, and it's very weird you mentioned Lydiard, as I had never heard of him until just a few days ago when I stumbled across an article about him and his program while Google searching distance running! I've definitely got some studying to do!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have been back in the gym the last few weeks after close to 6 weeks off. It feels great to be back in the groove. I finally feel like i'm committed and have the discipline to keep ramping up the workouts and get after the results I want.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Been doing the same old here too. I have moved more to lifting weights though, with it being summer time and all I lift weights after work, ( two days on, one day off) and in the evening my wife & I take a 4 mile walk.

For those who lift weights... do you take any supplements?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've started experimenting with a pre-work out powder. I used to crash at around 1000 calories burned, but I'm now experiencing more than 1400 and still have enough left over for a game or two of basketball. Afterwards, I eat a good dinner. I too am interested in hearing about additional protein or anything else that's proven beneficial to others.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've started experimenting with a pre-work out powder. I used to crash at around 1000 calories burned, but I'm now experiencing more than 1400 and still have enough left over for a game or two of basketball. Afterwards, I eat a good dinner. I too am interested in hearing about additional protein or anything else that's proven beneficial to others.

Right now I'm only doing a Protein powder (with milk) & Creatine after a work out, & some Carnitine 2x's a day. My son does that and also takes some BCAA's, NO's, & Glutamime... but he's also getting big.. I just want to gain lean muscle for a more cut look. But I'm also in my 50's now.. :(

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've kinda hit a wall here lately with cardio and strength training, still doing at least 1000 push ups 3 times a week, but haven't been putting up as many miles running or on the trails as I was.:( I had been using EAS protein powder for several months, but got off it about 3 weeks ago for no particular reason. I just haven't felt as energetic since stopping it, so, I guess I'll get back into it again. I was drinking it after both strength and cardio workouts, and never feeling much, if any muscle soreness the day after, I did sprints Thursday night, and struggled with them, and was really tight and sore the next day.

Good news is, since hitting my ideal weight goal, I can now do 177 pushups without stopping, even though I know I lost some muscle while dropping 80 something pounds. I just need to work through this low energy phase and get back to where I was.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Just in case anyone needed some motivation. Check out this freak of nature.

[video=youtube_share;UEUCQRkiKbU]http://youtu.be/UEUCQRkiKbU[/video]

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've become a big fan of Justin Swinney and Swinney Nutrition. He can be found in videos on the S.O.E./John Willis YouTube channel. The videos are very good and he gives great information. So far I've been impressed with every product of his that I've taken and I want to try more. He has also started his own YouTube channel and plans to make more videos. I don't fall for gimmicks very easily. I also don't believe in things coming without working for them. This guy seems legit and I can't learn enough from him.

Swinney Nutrition

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcESXxDL44GQJo-NrXFYORg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCweAKvHw1mCZnUU2ZB3BsNA

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Making progress. down ~27 #'s from Easter. getting close to my goal for the end of August. Participating in a local trainer's August Kettlebell Challenge. The challenge is labeled #00 Swings a day, but the real goal is 10,000 swings for the month. 6 days in and I have done 300/day and actually did 600 this morning. So I am on track there. Doing a lot of walking - a friend and I are doing a mid day walk at work part of our lunch break. Last couple of days we've done 2.5 miles each day. Wont get it in to day due to my schedule but still aim to hit my 10,000 steps for hte day. (He's doing more like 15-20 K, but admits to being borderline OCD!)

Top Bottom