If you claim to be a Christian, what keeps you from gathering with a local church?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you really want to stir up a hornets nest, which church is more "correct": our 800 seat auditoriums, or the 1st century house church?
    It all depends on the results. Which church is serving the Lord more is what should be considered.

the 800 seat megachurch that sends its membership into the streets to serve and better the community in His name is superior than the 25 seat church that just shows up on Sundays and goes through the motions on that morning. And vice versa.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you really want to stir up a hornets nest, which church is more "correct": our 800 seat auditoriums, or the 1st century house church?
    Yes.

If one were "right" and the other "wrong"....we would have been told.

Churches, regardless of size, exist to glorify God. If they are doing that according to his Word, truly, size doesn't matter. Churches of all sizes do it well...and do it poorly or not at all.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    For those that are looking for a church, I would look for one that Paul would be welcome to speak at today. Being that mankind's character is the same as then, I fear many would be so offended that Paul would speak against the Diana of today that the resulting tumult would have them to carry him out back door for his own safety even before he said anything about Jesus.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    As long as you are making a joyful noise, it doesnt matter.
    Tell that to the traditional people that only want to hear what they grew up with/the progressive (not a dirty word!) people that want to hear something modern.
    Every single week we have a hymn, granted it may be arranged differently, and every single week we have people complain that we never sing any hymns. For it being all about how terrible the words are to the ‘new’ music, they sure don’t recognize the ‘good’ words.
    It’s very tough in a diverse church.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    It all depends on the results. Which church is serving the Lord more is what should be considered.

the 800 seat megachurch that sends its membership into the streets to serve and better the community in His name is superior than the 25 seat church that just shows up on Sundays and goes through the motions on that morning. And vice versa.
    What matters most is my relationship with Jesus. Has nothing to do with church. Church is a gathering of Jesus worshiping people who gather together to give praise / worship Jesus and actually lift each other up. Sometimes we fail but what is important is we realize that we need to keep on keeping on, walk the walk and realize we are all sinners fighting the same battle. Church is not a building, it's me, you and others - encouraging each other in words, spirit and testimony.

Does church matter, yes; however church will not get you into heaven. No rules or doctrines will get you into heaven. "Doing" does nothing to get you anywhere.

It all relationship, with Jesus. It is by faith you are saved and not of works.

Peace

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Tell that to the traditional people that only want to hear what they grew up with/the progressive (not a dirty word!) people that want to hear something modern.
    Every single week we have a hymn, granted it may be arranged differently, and every single week we have people complain that we never sing any hymns. For it being all about how terrible the words are to the ‘new’ music, they sure don’t recognize the ‘good’ words.
    We always have enthusiastic discussions about music. I don't think that will ever go away. Oh, and them drums....always too loud!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And to put a finer point on my last comment, is going to church and tithing enough? If you just say "Ive sat through the service, Ive given my money, I've done my part. I'm done until next sunday AM. The church can use my money to do good works. I dont have to, because I've already done my part." is that enough? Go good works, no bible study. Just listening to the pastor and farming our your deeds by proxy.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    And to put a finer point on my last comment, is going to church and tithing enough? If you just say "Ive sat through the service, Ive given my money, I've done my part. I'm done until next sunday AM. The church can use my money to do good works. I dont have to, because I've already done my part." is that enough? Go good works, no bible study. Just listening to the pastor and farming our your deeds by proxy.
    I was sitting here thinking if you were really asking that question, for real! Then I thought, I know people like that.....sad but true.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Why do most English speaking country's use the King James Bible which was wrote to satisfy a king? If you study the writing history of the Bible you will find most were wrote to satisfy a person.
    The Alpha & Omega Bible is probably the closes translation. Most translations are from Greek translations, not the language the Bible was wrote in. Today you have a person telling the people what they think the King James Version is telling them. I don't need that. You just need to look around to know there is something more - the Load!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've been thinking a little more about this and another reason comes to mind.

There is a message some (probably more than we want to admit) churches have spread over the past half century/century. "Come to church and meet God. Your life will be easy peesy and all will be well until you float away on clouds into Heaven."

Ok. I may be stretching it there a bit but you get the premise. When life gets hard and folks have heard it will be easy and things don't turn out as they think they should, they give up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I guess that's kind of where I fit in (bolded part). I grew up in what I would describe as a very "white bread" church. It was originally mostly made up of German immigrants (before my time). It had a HUGE pipe organ and the music was traditional hymns and we would sing 3 or 4 each service and the choir would sing along and usually do one by themselves. But it was all old traditional hymns written by (mostly) European composers.

I didn't really like the music as a kid and as soon as I was old enough to decide for myself, I stopped going, but not just because of the music. I just wasn't into it. I would still go with Mom and Dad on holidays when I would come home, though, and there was something strangely comforting about hearing those old hymns, and I would always sing along dutifully.

Since then, I've gone to a couple of churches that play "modern" Christian music and I really didn't care for them. It felt like I was listening to one of the televangelist shows or something, with the big screen tv's and sound systems, etc.. I know it probably doesn't make much sense, but that's just how it made me feel. It just didn't "feel" like the church that I knew. But it wasn't any more comforting either.

So, I'm a believer, but I've just never been into the organized part of it I guess. I do know that my parents' church was a great source of comfort and fellowship for them, and I would certainly never fault anyone for that.

Top Bottom