If you claim to be a Christian, what keeps you from gathering with a local church?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Man I just knew a few of you would get all butt hurt and righteous as happens in most religious based threads.
    Your kidding me right. Mines bigger than yours. Yours is shinier than mine.
    This is basically why these discussions were verboten on Ingo for years. And a very good example of why I and mine avoid an organized church.
    Seriously. None allowed because feeling and emotions and on and on.

This stops now. Just stop.
    I apologize for my part. And in truth I started it, in my defense that was not my intention. After going back and reading it several times along with what little study I can do on my own of what he was saying. I believe we were for the most part speaking past each other and almost if not in fact speaking about two different things altogether. I was speaking more along the lines of how the Word is taught. Some people learn better visually, some hearing, some hands on is the only way. Then throw in styles, a teacher I find engaging may leave another bored and the reverse is also true. Some may learn better in small groups some in a large classroom. He was speaking more IMO about what was being taught.

I can only speak for myself and not ancjr but there was no butt hurt or righteousness. Then and now.

Last edited:

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I can only speak for myself and not ancjr but there was no butt hurt or righteousness. Then and now.

No bad feelings here either!

There is a record being kept in heaven that is more detailed than the INGO log that even includes the thoughts and intentions of every heart... Like what we did with the Promises God gave us in his Word... I don't know that much detail, so my judgment would be pretty poor... Not to mention I couldn't carry out the rewards and punishments... For my own benefit, I do know if God says X and someone else says Y I know which party I'm going to agree with... Either way, no one gets away with anything...

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    If you go to church looking for hypocrites you will find them.
    Hypocrites are found in everything not only religious activities.
    Quoted for truth. There's a common theme in this thread that "it's not the church, but the churchgoers" keeping people from coming, which is exactly the sentiment I felt when I wasn't attending much and just going through the motions.

One thing I wish I knew earlier was I don't necessarily have to be thrilled with everyone else in the congregation. Just like in life outside the congregation, a few really good friends is more valuable than a bunch of people that seem like friends but are more like acquaintances when real life happens.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No bad feelings here either!

There is a record being kept in heaven that is more detailed than the INGO log that even includes the thoughts and intentions of every heart... Like what we did with the Promises God gave us in his Word... I don't know that much detail, so my judgment would be pretty poor... Not to mention I couldn't carry out the rewards and punishments... For my own benefit, I do know if God says X and someone else says Y I know which party I'm going to agree with... Either way, no one gets away with anything...
    Definitely.

If it's not in the Bible don't push it.
    Definitely do not take it out of context as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I apologize for my part. And in truth I started it, in my defense that was not my intention. After going back and reading it several times along with what little study I can do on my own of what he was saying. I believe we were for the most part speaking past each other and almost if not in fact speaking about two different things altogether. I was speaking more along the lines of how the Word is taught. Some people learn better visually, some hearing, some hands on is the only way. Then throw in styles, a teacher I find engaging may leave another bored and the reverse is also true. Some may learn better in small groups some in a large classroom. He was speaking more IMO about what was being taught.

Thank you.
    In the past these things would escalate quickly, and normally calm people would go volcanic in defense of their church/god. My response could have been more evenly tempered in its delivery.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Thank you.
    In the past these things would escalate quickly, and normally calm people would go volcanic in defense of their church/god. My response could have been more evenly tempered in its delivery.
    You are more than welcome. And yes I've seen it here as well. Your response was fine, looking at it with fresh eyes I can see what you and the photochimp both saw.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I work on Sundays, but we watch online.
    I will say this. If you're not a people person, online offers a vast multitude of churches full services live and most are available on YouTube later that week.

You don't need to be sitting in the pew for God to speak to you or for you to learn something.

I'm at church most Sundays. I also listen to messages on podcast throughout the week from chruches all over the country.

It's a matter of hearing the Word and then doing (or trying to do) it.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I used to think you “had” to assemble, and while I still attend, I’ve also started listening to sermons/podcasts/worship music during my garage workouts. Shocked how much I can retain even though I’m working out, and it’s surprisingly more enjoyable (figured it might not give me the oomph as guitar driven music) than I expected.

Sometimes, it hits me pretty hard, I just walk to my corner, worship a bit, then get back @ the sweating.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I used to think you “had” to assemble, and while I still attend, I’ve also started listening to sermons/podcasts/worship music during my garage workouts. Shocked how much I can retain even though I’m working out, and it’s surprisingly more enjoyable (figured it might not give me the oomph as guitar driven music) than I expected.

Sometimes, it hits me pretty hard, I just walk to my corner, worship a bit, then get back @ the sweating.
    :thumbsup:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Don't want to add opinions or join in the argument, but if anyone in east central Indiana is looking for a good church I'd like to recommend ReaLife Church in Greenfield. Carry is welcome, online service via FB Live is available, and it's come as you are. We have a safety team (I'm one of the members) and overall it's church with a "real life" feel. Sunday service times are 9:30 & 11:00, as a guest or first time visitor cut on your hazzard lights as you enter the parking lot and we got front row for ya.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Jesus said to him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

This is the first and the great commandment.

And the second is like unto this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

I see two.
    ...but God has explained numerous ways that we can love him...and I'm not so sure that ignoring his instructions about how to live as a follower is on the list.

It's kinda like a guy who loves his wife, but figures that anything she has asked him to do he can ignore because hey, he loves her, so that's all that's important, right?

That being said, it's not my place to tell you where and with whom to worship.

Last edited:

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    1. Hipster Christians
    2. Conservative Christians that think the GOP should only nominate Pastors for the Office of George Washington.
    3. Pussified Christian Dads
    4. The spending, the extra offerings requested to cover the spending, the debt

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    1. Hipster Christians
    2. Conservative Christians that think the GOP should only nominate Pastors for the Office of George Washington.
    As long as money is managed properly, I have no problem with this. Our small church needs to repair the stained glass frames and protective glass. Its a $16,000-20,000 (quoted 16 a year ago, assuming there will be inflation) project. And since 11.5% of everything that goes in the plate gets sent to the district, we sometimes do targeted giving campaigns so we dont have to pay a tax to do work on our building. Dont say where your money goes? 11.5% is shaved off before it hits our books. Specify its use for a project? We get 100%.

Now if your pastor is making bank, or is being housed in a lavish home, or driving a fancy car, then I agree with you. I've always said "If you want to make the big bucks, working at a NFP is not where to do that ethically. I dont care how purty your big words are Sunday morning; You dont deserve to live in luxury."

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    1. Hipster Christians
    Dare I ask for a definition of 1 & 3?

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    As long as money is managed properly, I have no problem with this. Our small church needs to repair the stained glass frames and protective glass. Its a $16,000-20,000 (quoted 16 a year ago, assuming there will be inflation) project. And since 11.5% of everything that goes in the plate gets sent to the district, we sometimes do targeted giving campaigns so we dont have to pay a tax to do work on our building. Dont say where your money goes? 11.5% is shaved off before it hits our books. Specify its use for a project? We get 100%.

Now if your pastor is making bank, or is being housed in a lavish home, or driving a fancy car, then I agree with you. I've always said "If you want to make the big bucks, working at a NFP is not where to do that ethically. I dont care how purty your big words are Sunday morning; You dont deserve to live in luxury."
    I should have put the extra offerings to cover the debt.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Dare I ask for a definition of 1 & 3?
    1. Sleeves for their coffee cups, skinny jeans, plaid button downs. They want inclusion and comfort over solid belief and sacrifice.

3. Men that do not know how or refuse to lead their families. Men that (allow themselves to) get led around by women. Dads that let technology and touch screens raise their young children. Dads that want their daughters to think they're cool and that want to be their son's best friend. They're really no different than pussified Dads, they're just Christians.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IMO!

1. Church is a gathering to discuss the teachings of JC and big G.

2. Church doesn't need money for anything besides building upkeep and providing for charity.

3. No hierarchy should be part of a Church.

4. Mission work and charity is the focus of the gathering.

5. Anything else is what I consider Prosperity Preaching.

If anyone is “famous“ or rich because of the “church“ it’s not a Church.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    1. Sleeves for their coffee cups, skinny jeans, plaid button downs. They want inclusion and comfort over solid belief and sacrifice.

3. Men that do not know how or refuse to lead their families. Men that (allow themselves to) get led around by women. Dads that let technology and touch screens raise their young children. Dads that want their daughters to think they're cool and that want to be their son's best friend. They're really no different than pussified Dads, they're just Christians.
    Pretty much agree with 3, I suppose.

Have no idea how any of what you mentioned in 1 has anything to do with a persons relationship with God, except that you think they look silly.
    I thought we weren’t being judgmental, but you are assuming what one can not possibly believe because of how they look?

Top Bottom