If you claim to be a Christian, what keeps you from gathering with a local church?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    IMO!

1. Church is a gathering to discuss the teachings of JC and big G.

2. Church doesn't need money for anything besides building upkeep and providing for charity.

3. No hierarchy should be part of a Church.

4. Mission work and charity is the focus of the gathering.

5. Anything else is what I consider Prosperity Preaching.

If anyone is “famous“ or rich because of the “church“ it’s not a Church.
    Concerning #2;
    It’s all about where you draw the line.
    Been very involved in the few churches I’ve been in, on the money side of things a lot.
    Obviously air conditioning is an unneeded frill at your church where you just wear your thong, amirite?
    Carpet, a non-leaky roof, a shiny kitchen for the barefoot wimens, colorful things for the churlens, heaven forbid a couple of subwoofers and a $5000 soundboard.
    My point is some make the decision to try to reach out to those around them and make the assumption that those they’re trying to show a better way to may want a few creature comforts. This of course comes at the cost of being called “pussified”, I suppose.
    People want what they want and are going to pay no attention to the hard-asses among us.

ETA; not really a criticism, every church just has to make their own culture and they will all look different. It’s a question of where you draw the lines.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    1. Sleeves for their coffee cups, skinny jeans, plaid button downs. They want inclusion and comfort over solid belief and sacrifice.
    I've found that attitude isn't restricted to what you wear.

But it's certainly easier to castigate others when you say, "can't be me! I wear khakis and a polo!"

When we moved our church from the comfy 'burbs into the gritty city, it wasn't the skinny jeans crowd that said, "No, that looks to rough for us." But it wasn't the old ones. It was all sorts of people. What you wear doesn't make you any better or else of a Christian.

I wear a jacket and tie every Sunday, but I'm not above sitting right next to a shoeless man in a ratty Tshirt and covered in tats, or a guy that spends more time grooming his beard than sleeping.

And if you're referring to "inclusive" congregations, there's tons of old folks waving that rainbow flag - age isn't the only factor.

3. Men that do not know how or refuse to lead their families. Men that (allow themselves to) get led around by women. Dads that let technology and touch screens raise their young children. Dads that want their daughters to think they're cool and that want to be their son's best friend. They're really no different than pussified Dads, they're just Christians.
    ... nope. Not touching that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IMO!

1. Church is a gathering to discuss the teachings of JC and big G.

2. Church doesn't need money for anything besides building upkeep and providing for charity.

3. No hierarchy should be part of a Church.

4. Mission work and charity is the focus of the gathering.

5. Anything else is what I consider Prosperity Preaching.

If anyone is “famous“ or rich because of the “church“ it’s not a Church.
    This isn't the Prosperity Preacher Brad that I know! :):

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I don’t mind a nice church as long as they serve the poor and down trodden.

I would like to be the Indiana Joel olsteen but he at best has a loose connection with anything related to JC.

All no matter dress or mental illness should be embraced by JC and Big G.

Humbleness is the key IMO.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a couple of friends who are pastors, a couple more who are daily devotes of bible reading. Maybe we have never gotten deep into the religion conversation, but they have yet to tell me that I am going to hell for not showing up at a building on Sunday?

:scratch:

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Pretty much agree with 3, I suppose.

Have no idea how any of what you mentioned in 1 has anything to do with a persons relationship with God, except that you think they look silly.
    I thought we weren’t being judgmental, but you are assuming what one can not possibly believe because of how they look?

I've found that attitude isn't restricted to what you wear.

But it's certainly easier to castigate others when you say, "can't be me! I wear khakis and a polo!"

When we moved our church from the comfy 'burbs into the gritty city, it wasn't the skinny jeans crowd that said, "No, that looks to rough for us." But it wasn't the old ones. It was all sorts of people. What you wear doesn't make you any better or else of a Christian.

I wear a jacket and tie every Sunday, but I'm not above sitting right next to a shoeless man in a ratty Tshirt and covered in tats, or a guy that spends more time grooming his beard than sleeping.

And if you're referring to "inclusive" congregations, there's tons of old folks waving that rainbow flag - age isn't the only factor.

... nope. Not touching that.
    It's not what they wear. It's how they act. I've got 5 kids in a Christian school. After a decade of picking up and dropping off, volunteering, coaching, extracurriculars, field trips, parties at school, and birthday parties off site, the people that plead with their children, the people that give their children options, the people that are more concerned with being sensitive and inclusive, the people that are more concerned with the coffee house aspect of church rather than salvation are the skinny Jean-wearing, plaid button down regaling, coffee-sleeve sporting, beta male praising, Jesus said to always turn the other cheek Hipster Christians.

If you don't have them, good for you.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I don’t mind a nice church as long as they serve the poor and down trodden.

I would like to be the Indiana Joel olsteen but he at best has a loose connection with anything related to JC.

All no matter dress or mental illness should be embraced by JC and Big G.

Humbleness is the key IMO.
    Spot on man, humbleness is the key.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    This thread is full of opinions, feelings, hurts, anger, bad experiences and so much more. Not once have I read about one's bad experience with a relationship with Jesus.....it's always people. People just like you and me who are struggling in satan's world. Pride echoes throughout this thread. Maybe you call it something else, but when it becomes about how I see things rather than how Jesus sees me and my relationship with him, that is pride.

Peace....

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Do all of the people in here who say they don’t need to be a part of a body of believers have any scripture to back that up?

If we’re talking about Christianity and the church, only God’s Word matters, not your opinion.

Let me clarify.

What I should have said:

If we’re talking about Christianity and the church, only God’s Word matters, not OUR opinion. My opinion doesn’t matter. The pastor’s opinion doesn’t matter. The Apostle Paul’s opinion doesn’t matter. We all come short of the glory of God (Rom. 3:23) and our righteousness is as filthy rags (Isa. 64:6). We’re all equal before the throne of God. Only what God says matters.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...We’d all be terrible gods.

FlakyTiredBonobo-size_restricted.gif

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you really want to stir up a hornets nest, which church is more "correct": our 800 seat auditoriums, or the 1st century house church?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    If you really want to stir up a hornets nest, which church is more "correct": our 800 seat auditoriums, or the 1st century house church?

Jesus fed the 5,000 and he met with his closest friends in the upper room.

Scripturally speaking, the emphasis is on being part of the body not the “size” of the body.

Top Bottom