If you claim to be a Christian, what keeps you from gathering with a local church?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I found a church once in rural Texas that I looked forward to attending. Small, open, honest and simple - Southern Baptist. Never found another like it though I admit I've not looked much. The biggest thing that keeps me away from church is people. Not saying I'm right or that it won't cost me but it is what it is.

I would much rather spend my time alone in a desert than in the company of most people I've crossed paths with in this life. I was either blessed or cursed with a pretty well calibrated BS meter and most churches I've ever walked in to pegged it pretty quickly.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I found a church once in rural Texas that I looked forward to attending. Small, open, honest and simple - Southern Baptist. Never found another like it though I admit I've not looked much. The biggest thing that keeps me away from church is people. Not saying I'm right or that it won't cost me but it is what it is.

I would much rather spend my time alone in a desert than in the company of most people I've crossed paths with in this life. I was either blessed or cursed with a pretty well calibrated BS meter and most churches I've ever walked in to pegged it pretty quickly.
    There are home churches around. From the little bit I’ve looked into them, they’re small and intimate. I’m not sure how you’d go about finding one near you but I’d bet they have a social media presence somehow. FWIW.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County

Romans 1:20​

“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:”

It's sad that people think that God is all-powerful and created heaven and earth, yet can't communicate clearly and preserve His Word, Power and Authority consistently today as he did in The Bible.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My wife and I attened a Catholic church for years. She was raised Catholic, I was raised in a Missionary church. After the priest left we liked we stopped going due to the new priest not being very good and many disagreements we have with the Catholic church. For years we did not attend a church. A couple years ago we began going to a Missionary church and the family loves it.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    ?

Back when I was a Christian I don't recall the bible saying anything about keeping attendance.

This feel like cherry picking to me.

If you are passing judgement on those who wish not to worship with others have you sat in judgment of yourself to see how you could do better? I think it would be safe to assume you are wearing blended clothing or at least have some pretty sure I saw something about that in the Bible.
    ?? Who is passing judgment??

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    All flesh, including its observations, experiences and resulting opinions are enmity with God. Even mine.

1 Corinthians 15:31​

“I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.”

I have to die to myself and walk in the Spirit to know and act on God's will.

John 3:18

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

Jesus gave His life and shed his blood that we could know Him, His will, and be able to perform it without excuse.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    So...in response to my original post a bit...I did gather with my local church this morning, but not for the evening service.

Why not? I cooked hotdogs, looked into my escrow situation, getting ready for work tomorrow and so on.

Again, I have lots of sympathy and understanding for why folks don't gather.

Now, see if I make Wednesday night Bible study...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So...in response to my original post a bit...I did gather with my local church this morning, but not for the evening service.

Why not? I cooked hotdogs, looked into my escrow situation, getting ready for work tomorrow and so on.

Again, I have lots of sympathy and understanding for why folks don't gather.

Now, see if I make Wednesday night Bible study...
    For me personally, I often get more out of Wednesday bible study and Sunday school than the Sunday service. Some folks get more of a blessing by singing and praising. I think I tend to benefit more from the learning and discussing aspects.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Luke 6:5:6?

Back when I was a Christian I don't recall the bible saying anything about keeping attendance.

This feel like cherry picking to me.

If you are passing judgement on those who wish not to worship with others have you sat in judgment of yourself to see how you could do better? I think it would be safe to assume you are wearing blended clothing or at least have some pretty sure I saw something about that in the Bible.
    I don't see any cherry picking. That verse you quoted and what we are discussing are two different things. Yes most do join in fellowship on the Sabbath, but not all. This thread seems to me about the joining in fellowship, not what day of the week for the most part.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone here, at least judgement of the spirit. I know I'm a very deeply flawed person who is unworthy of Salvation.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    I shared my simple answer to the OP's question, leaving out the sorry details of my struggles.

A person could react with compassion, or with condescension like most church goers would.

I wonder which way Jesus would have reacted?

I still do things for others, I just quit associating with people like you.
    With all due respect, my statement has nothing about judging you or anyone else. I actually have to remind myself that very statement on most days. WHY? Because it's true. I'm human and the "world" has great influence on me, as it does others. If I catch myself getting caught up in myself, that meansI am not keeping focus on him. I'm guilty even when I am at church. Themusic is too loud, they're playing the same music again, all this new theater music. The pastor is dry today, something must be going on. Why are they talking to them more than me. Why wasn't invited to go out to lunch too? Someone cut me off while on my way to church and I'm still burning about that and then someone has the nerve to park in my spot. If the pastor really knew all I do and he hardly ever says thank you....yada-yada-yada; the list is long.

ALL that and will keep me from focusing on the fellowship of believers more importantly, my relationship with Jesus.

Why is it ok for me to have these feelings about others but others cannot have those feelings about me without me getting upset?

When that happens, when we feel unappreciated, it may be time to move on but it is never time to throw the towel in and wrongly take advice from those who experience the same.

I often get sidetracked with "me" and need to be reminded it's not about me but rather my relationship with him. I can easily get out of focus if I am not careful. I am happy and glad when a brother in Christ comes along and reminds me of the why's we often do things even when we are un-noticed.

When things go so bad and after you have talked to the pastor, then leave - BUT don't label all churches the same or all people the same. There is a church waiting for you and needs you.

1. I was not condescending
    2. My statement was not personalized towards you
    3. I think if we met you might change your thinking about people like me; at least I would hope so.
    4. Jesus Christ experienced and tolerated more than you and I will ever know; and he did it for both you and I. That should mean something.

Peace....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This has been my experience as well.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    John Chapter 6... Jesus was first followed by 5000, then 12. And one of them was a devil. The Gospel isn't for everyone!

63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.

65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I shared my simple answer to the OP's question, leaving out the sorry details of my struggles.

A person could react with compassion, or with condescension like most church goers would.

I wonder which way Jesus would have reacted?

I still do things for others, I just quit associating with people like you.
    Only thing I have a problem with this is the "like most church goers would". In some churches, yes. I'll even say in some it would be almost all. But that is just some of the churches. In some most would react with compassion, in some I would say it would be almost all.
    With all due respect, my statement has nothing about judging you or anyone else. I actually have to remind myself that very statement on most days. WHY? Because it's true. I'm human and the "world" has great influence on me, as it does others. If I catch myself getting caught up in myself, that meansI am not keeping focus on him. I'm guilty even when I am at church. Themusic is too loud, they're playing the same music again, all this new theater music. The pastor is dry today, something must be going on. Why are they talking to them more than me. Why wasn't invited to go out to lunch too? Someone cut me off while on my way to church and I'm still burning about that and then someone has the nerve to park in my spot. If the pastor really knew all I do and he hardly ever says thank you....yada-yada-yada; the list is long.

ALL that and will keep me from focusing on the fellowship of believers more importantly, my relationship with Jesus.

Why is it ok for me to have these feelings about others but others cannot have those feelings about me without me getting upset?

When that happens, when we feel unappreciated, it may be time to move on but it is never time to throw the towel in and wrongly take advice from those who experience the same.

I often get sidetracked with "me" and need to be reminded it's not about me but rather my relationship with him. I can easily get out of focus if I am not careful. I am happy and glad when a brother in Christ comes along and reminds me of the why's we often do things even when we are un-noticed.

When things go so bad and after you have talked to the pastor, then leave - BUT don't label all churches the same or all people the same. There is a church waiting for you and needs you.

1. I was not condescending
    2. My statement was not personalized towards you
    3. I think if we met you might change your thinking about people like me; at least I would hope so.
    4. Jesus Christ experienced and tolerated more than you and I will ever know; and he did it for both you and I. That should mean something.

Peace....
    I took it the same as him. I'll leave it at that.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Ever think of starting your own church? I've seen the pictures of your chicken coop, it's big and more than nice enough. If it can house one kind of flock, why not another?

The second was a joke. The first not so much. I'm not talking about a church building or you standing at the pulpit preaching. Just reach out to those you know of similar mind and start up a fellowship group.
    There are home churches around. From the little bit I’ve looked into them, they’re small and intimate. I’m not sure how you’d go about finding one near you but I’d bet they have a social media presence somehow. FWIW.
    Or this if you don't feel like starting your own.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    "I made a choice to start/join a Church" isn't what the Bible says...

Acts 2:47 ...And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Really, this is why there are many different "churches" opinions, styles, methods, doctrines... They weren't ordained by the authority of God, and therefore lack unity and authority.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll make this open offer. To da Mouse and anyone else that would drive to the SW side of Indy that hasnt found the right church. Come worship with us. See what you think. We've got an awesome pastor, and a welcoming, supportive congregation full of great folks. (and your sidearm is welcome :thumbsup: ) . Give us a try. I'll even take you out for a cheeseburger afterward for your trouble to hang out and talk guns . And if you dont like it, no worries. I posted the link to our website upthread. Address is there. Or PM me. If not, its cool. I understand. No apologies necessary.

And thanks to the power if the interwebs, You can even preview us online to see if her preaching style is your thing. (and yes, I know some are traditionalists that think women have no business being clergy. Thats your prerogative.)

(if it doesnt take you to the spot, the sermon starts at 28:12)

EDIT: And we are a serious "come as you are" church. Show up in a t-shirt/shorts and flip flops. We dont care. No fancy dress required.
    Sundays at 10:30AM

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    "I made a choice to start/join a Church" isn't what the Bible says...

Acts 2:47 ...And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Really, this is why there are many different "churches" opinions, styles, methods, doctrines... They weren't ordained by the authority of God, and therefore lack unity and authority.
    Okay, which one is the one true church? Let me guess, yours?

Top Bottom