If handguns r not reg in IN then what do Police Check?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    geez 10 times. How many times have you been pulled over. I have been pulled over once in my life and I have done a lot of driving.

Drive a maroon intrepid with 20% tint on the windows. Once a month, sometimes twice when I moved up here from FLA. Never got more than a warning but in the 5 years I had that car up here I must have had 60 stops. Only two of those did the officer actually say the tint was the reason. Usually it was "a window obstruction" for my GPS or some similar B.S. reason. about 50 of those 60 stops were in ILL however.

Anyway 18 months ago I got a silver trail blazer and put 5% tint on it. Up until last week not a single traffic stop. Last week I actually deserved the stop. Made an illegal left turn. Didn't realize it, never left out that place that way before, it was 9 degrees and I just wanted to get back home. One of my best LEO encounters ever, and I've pulled over in fire rescue uniform before, lol. Written warning again.

In any event. I'd be filing a complaint if an officer handed me back a disassembled pistol. Only once did I have my firearm taken (Florida) and it was returned unloaded. Weird... I got a warning and he even knew we worked for the same county (me as a FF him as Deputy). Weirdness.

As to always running the pistol to see if it's stolen. Seriously. WTF. If you've got a valid LTCH, what are the chances you are carrying a stolen gun? Total BS IMO.

BTW After that one disarming incident in Florida I've never volunteered I was carrying again. It's not worth the hassle. If I was asked to step out of the car (never have been except the one time I volunteered) I'd say something starting with "I have a valid LTCH and...". That's it.

Other than in ILL, I've never had a LEO ask me if I was carrying.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I could see the reason for running the numbers on firearms, You can purchase firearms from private holders without a NICS background check and such. Like in my case I got my first glock 32 357 sig used for $150 with 3 mags. It was from a private dealer. Now of course I had the serial checked before purchase and was clear. But there are some cases where people do not check the serial and think they got a great deal but then come to find out that they are now in trouble due to the firearm was used in a crime or is stolen. So there is a reason for checking the serial. Now for the office to Field strip the weapon or to remove the round from the chamber I do not agree with but if the LEO feels more comfortable and it will stop a potential conflict then why not but then again that is my opinion. But also every officer is different, Some feel there safety is at risk when a citizen has a weapon others feel safer. Its just a matter how the officer views the situation at hand. And to put this simple it looks better on you that you worked with the officer if going to court is ever needed.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I could see the reason for running the numbers on firearms, You can purchase firearms from private holders without a NICS background check and such. Like in my case I got my first glock 32 357 sig used for $150 with 3 mags. It was from a private dealer. Now of course I had the serial checked before purchase and was clear. But there are some cases where people do not check the serial and think they got a great deal but then come to find out that they are now in trouble due to the firearm was used in a crime or is stolen. So there is a reason for checking the serial. Now for the office to Field strip the weapon or to remove the round from the chamber I do not agree with but if the LEO feels more comfortable and it will stop a potential conflict then why not but then again that is my opinion. But also every officer is different, Some feel there safety is at risk when a citizen has a weapon others feel safer. Its just a matter how the officer views the situation at hand. And to put this simple it looks better on you that you worked with the officer if going to court is ever needed.

With whom did you verify a serial number? Most departments, as far as I know, don't have access to the NICS database. With a Glock at $150, there's no way it wasn't stolen IMO. Maybe not reported, not verified nationally or what not, but there's no way I'd buy that gun.

if a police officer would be more comfortable with citizens not carrying, should we just do that too, y'know, to look good?

Again, I don't see a need to notify if I'm not getting out of the car.

sivins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    When you tell the cop that you are "packin" do they get nervous. Hell id be nervous like they would freak and draw there gun and start yellin at me or somthing.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    When you tell the cop that you are "packin" do they get nervous. Hell id be nervous like they would freak and draw there gun and start yellin at me or somthing.

Every officer is different, but I'd just keep my mouth shut about my gun :)

He doesn't approach the car and say "I'm carrying a gun" why should you?

sivins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Every officer is different, but I'd just keep my mouth shut about my gun :)

He doesn't approach the car and say "I'm carrying a gun" why should you?

Very true. I guess if and if ever i get stopped and asked if i am carryin, i would tell him,or her, yes and i have the right paper work and such. That will be an odd first expirence im sure

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Unless I just missed it, neither my M&P 9mm nor my .357 revolver have a safety. The M&P 9mm does have that two-part trigger thing if you want to count that as a safety.

All quality firearms have internal safeties. Why would you want an external safety? Your finger is your primary safety right? Even in the Air Force, we had external safeties on our M9s - but we carried with the safety disengaged - thats how we trained as police.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Just read through the whole post and still haven't found a clear answer to this question, so I'll ask it.

I can see not announcing you're carrying if you're just sitting in your car during a traffic stop...this makes much sense. But...

I think I've read here that if you were asked to get out and were frisked, don't you have to then announce that you are carrying?

I've got two speeding tickets in 9 years of driving, so I don't see this situation coming up, but I'd love to get a solid straight answer on this one.

And even if it isn't legally required, can any current or retired LEO's on these boards tell me if it's still just a 'good thing to do'? I'm asking this question only in the situation that I'm asked to get out of my vehicle.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Just read through the whole post and still haven't found a clear answer to this question, so I'll ask it.

I can see not announcing you're carrying if you're just sitting in your car during a traffic stop...this makes much sense. But...

I think I've read here that if you were asked to get out and were frisked, don't you have to then announce that you are carrying?

I've got two speeding tickets in 9 years of driving, so I don't see this situation coming up, but I'd love to get a solid straight answer on this one.

And even if it isn't legally required, can any current or retired LEO's on these boards tell me if it's still just a 'good thing to do'? I'm asking this question only in the situation that I'm asked to get out of my vehicle.

The answer to your first question is: absolotuely not! Under Indiana law there is no rquirement to tell an LEO that you are carrying handgun in the situation you have described.

I am not LEO. Your second question is just bait on a forum like this one... good luck with it. I'll also say that even if a LEO thinks it's a good idea, that doesn't mean it's a good idea for the person who has been pulled over. It may just mean it's a good idea for the LEO.

s346k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    all of the cops i've notified of my carry remained calm. maybe my logic is flawed, but if i was a cop i would anticipate a legit, pistol-toting citizen to inform me of his/her carry. otherwise i would be VERY suspicious should i find it on my own. just my opinion. i get it out in the open very quickly and calmly, i've never been yelled at or even had an eyebrow raised.

one thing most of you fail to realize is this: that cop is looking at you as another possibility that he/she won't go home to his/her family. you look just like the craziest mfer they ever met. despite the fact the majority of you are upstanding, law-abiding people...he does NOT know that by looking at you. not all of them frequent this site and know your intentions upon pulling you over. they don't know you from joethepsychoticbabykiller...cut them some slack, the majority of them are doing their job in an honest effort to make the world a safer place.

with that being said...yes, it was a pita to assemble my pistols after being pulled over.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I'm not even close to being an LEO, but . . .
    • My logic says it's not the LEO's business if I am armed
    • My rights say it's not the LEO's business if I am armed
    • My experiences lead me to the conclusion that offering any such information can only lead to bad things
    • My friend the lawyer says to keep my mouth shut about it.
    Therefore, I keep my mouth shut about it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

What you've probably seen is that if someone is asked to get out, they would then and only then inform the officer. The thinking here is that it's better to tell him/her than to have him/her find it on his/her own and "first impression" be "GUN!" before you get slammed to the pavement and cuffed. If I think it's likely that I'm about to be "frisked", yes, I'll then tell them and add that I'm carrying legally: "Officer, my carry license is in my wallet in my right rear pocket of my pants and my pistol is in it's holster at my right hip." Note that the mention of the LTCH is first and that all of this is in a very calm, quiet voice. I might, if I then saw him/her reaching for my pistol, add, "If you'd like me to place it in my car, I will do so, but for both of our safety, I'd prefer to remove it from the holster myself." If that happens, I'll be doing so slowly and with my off hand. S/he may not let me, but if I don't suggest it, I think it's pretty certain s/he won't.

Do I have to inform at that point? Legally, no, and unless it's going to be found otherwise, I won't. When my daughter was growing up, though, she knew that if she told me something she'd done wrong, I might be upset, but nowhere near as upset as I'd be if I found out from someone else or if I found out on my own. I'm not a child, but the LEO is an authority figure, and the same guideline applies: If I'm being "frisked", it's probably because someone thinks I'm a threat to him/her, and the gun WILL be found. I'd prefer they hear it from me first if discovery is inevitable.

For the record, however, I still agree with Rhino: LEOs should have no authority over those who are not breaking any laws.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I never know the expirience level or what some of these cops have seen, I do know most of them look like green little kids that just about graduated high school to me. Most of them act like they just walked out of that pump up session in cop school and can't wait to show the world what they can do.

The other thing I know is if a shooting is involved between me and a cop, it's not going to look pretty from my side a year later no matter what happens or how it turns out. I'd just as soon get on down the road with my life like I never met the green ass.

In that spirit, as the adult in the situation, I go out of my way to see the kid doesn't get in a panic, wet his pants and start shooting up the place. "Officer, I have a weapon and I have carry permit. There is the weapon laying on the seat next to me. Here is my driver's license, here is my carry permit."

Never had a problem, never had any one ask to hold my weapon, look at it or any of the other list of what ever on here. Just went on down the road in a couple of minutes and I couldn't even tell you what he looked like and I'm sure he doesn't even remember stopping me.

Top Bottom