If handguns r not reg in IN then what do Police Check?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iujeffcpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    South Bend, IN
    I was pulled over a couple years back, which I informed the officer I had a carry permit and I informed him where it was located. The officer was county, retrieved the handgun, and had it checked out.

What do they check? Is it just to verify the handgun is not illegal or stollen?

No worries I was good....it was St. Patrick's day and I had moderately been drinking that evening. I passed all sobriety tests to include the breathalizer. However, the officer gave the gun back to me as he removed the round out of the chamber and informed me that I should not have the firearm loaded. I did not quite understand the latter part but complied for that evening.

I did receive a speeding ticket but that disappeared LOL.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I would guess like you thought, he was just running the serial number to make sure the weapon was not reported stolen.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    To check if it was reported stolen, as you suspected.

As to the "don't carry one in the chamber" he was just expressing his opinion, and that's worth just what you paid for it :)

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I was pulled over a couple years back, which I informed the officer I had a carry permit and I informed him where it was located. The officer was county, retrieved the handgun, and had it checked out.

What do they check? Is it just to verify the handgun is not illegal or stollen?

No worries I was good....it was St. Patrick's day and I had moderately been drinking that evening. I passed all sobriety tests to include the breathalizer. However, the officer gave the gun back to me as he removed the round out of the chamber and informed me that I should not have the firearm loaded. I did not quite understand the latter part but complied for that evening.

I did receive a speeding ticket but that disappeared LOL.

He most likely ran the serial number to make sure it wasn't stolen.
    JMO, If you don't have it loaded then what good would it be to you if you needed it. That may have just been his opinion, wonder if his was loaded?

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    This is correct we will run the serial number to make sure it is not stolen or was not involved in a crime. We will also run you through the system and make sure you have a carry permit. Not sure about the loaded comment.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wonder how people would feel if a police officer pulled them over and relieved them of their laptop computer or their mobile phone or their toaster over to "run the serial numbers" to check if they were stolen.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I wonder how people would feel if a police officer pulled them over and relieved them of their laptop computer or their mobile phone or their toaster over to "run the serial numbers" to check if they were stolen.

Hell, that'd make way more sense (no, I'm not saying they should), I know wayyy more people who have had laptops and electronics stolen.

s346k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    that comment makes no sense at all. i don't recall the last time a toaster was involved in a murder haha.

every time i've been pulled over and the officer took my weapon for whatever purpose (serial # check apparently) it came back in pieces, literally field stripped. i was instructed not to assemble and load the weapon until the officer was "reasonably out of sight". i have been grilled numerous times as to why i had the pistol, but never given any form of their opinion(s). i've been pulled over probably 10 times while carrying, the only times my gun wasn't disassembled was when i had my 1911. i guess they are too hard to field strip in a cop car? my 4506 and model 59 came back in pieces every time hah.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Or when the chambered round is removed as the OPs was, if the officer was asked if s/he carried one in the pipe or not.

Great point here, Rhino... and congrats on your second gold dot.

Blessings,
    Bill

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    that comment makes no sense at all. i don't recall the last time a toaster was involved in a murder haha.

every time i've been pulled over and the officer took my weapon for whatever purpose (serial # check apparently) it came back in pieces, literally field stripped. i was instructed not to assemble and load the weapon until the officer was "reasonably out of sight". i have been grilled numerous times as to why i had the pistol, but never given any form of their opinion(s). i've been pulled over probably 10 times while carrying, the only times my gun wasn't disassembled was when i had my 1911. i guess they are too hard to field strip in a cop car? my 4506 and model 59 came back in pieces every time hah.

:n00b: :n00b: :n00b: :n00b: :n00b: :n00b: :n00b: :n00b: :n00b: :n00b:

And yes, that's 10 :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Toasters are not often involved in murders, but cell phones and laptops are often targets of theft or "could be used by terrorists!" :runaway: :rolleyes: As such, if the purpose is to check if the gun is stolen, these objects would make far more sense to check.

Note that I do not think the individual LEO who takes your gun has any nefarious purpose in doing so, s/he is just doing as s/he was trained to do. The root of this problem is asking why that training is performed as it is; the gun sitting in the holster of a peaceable citizen, lawfully carrying, is no more dangerous while there than the LEO's gun is on his/her hip.

Want to run my LTCH? No problem, but please, for the officer's safety and mine, let's leave my pistol where it is, with the trigger safely covered and negligent discharges prevented.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    and to add to Bills' point, it's gonna be hard to take my gun and not cover me with the muzzle at some point. The safest place for my gun is in it's holster.

s346k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    does anyone have a number on how many stolen guns/guns involved in crimes are recovered each year thanks to this practice? when is the last time you heard of someone getting shot because a cop took his pistol to run a number?

i guess i don't mind letting officers of the law do what we pay them to do. as for the rest of you...?

i'm legit as well as my weapons. if this practice means 100 LESS guys that shouldn't have guns get them taken away and see jail time because of it, great. let the officers do their jobs. if you're so upset about it, the ONCE IN A LIFETIME yall get pulled over, speak your mind instead of letting it go and making post after post online bashing this practice.

Top Bottom