• ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    noun
    moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity.
    "medical ethics also enter into the question"
    synonyms: moral code, morals, morality, values, rights and wrongs, principles, ideals, standards (of behavior), value system, virtues, dictates of conscience.

Do you really think it's a good moral code to spend years learning a business and then leave that business for competitor? Is that really right or wrong?

Put yourself as the owner of the company you just left?
    Now put yourself as the owner of the company you just went to work for, maybe he just wants to suck what knowledge you have about the industry and customer base that you worked with and then cut you loose.
    Your new boss's already know you are willing to jump ship.

Like I said already, I'm shocked your old company just didn't cut you loose.
    But all in all you are your own moral compass, Good Luck with your new job.

You are naive. Let's turn the table and say it this way.

Your employee spent years building your business and making you a fortune and now you want to downsize him. Is that ethical? Do you think they would blink an eye at doing it?

Personal ethics and business ethics are different. I would never let you help me personally and then turn my back on you. That is an example of personal ethics.

Business ethics are to not lie, steal, or cheat but looking for career advancement is different.

In my case I accepted a higher position than I was in. My former company simply did not have a path to advancement for me without moving from the area.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    As a manager let me add another possibility. Your manager wanted to do what you requested and intended to do so. Sometimes we get back to our office and call HR or our manager and then get instructed that what we thought was okay, is not and can not be done.

The only reason I know that not to be the case is I have a mole. I joke about a mole but I do have friends that I built long term relationships with and they have informed me of what really went down.

Again, I don't really care about the message. It would have been nice but I will survive that part. My issue is the dishonesty of looking me in the eye and lying.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Why not just port the old number over to your new carrier/account before it gets reassigned? You don't owe these people anything. It sounds like you've had the company phone for a few years. It's likely the number isn't under contract anymore unless you've gotten a new phone recently. I'd at least give it a shot.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Here are a couple of things to consider. The favor was asked for and granted, but you did not stipulate a length of time for the message to be kept. So the manager did honor the favor. Also perhaps the manager granted the favor just to have a smooth final transition. Either way today is a new day with new issues and problems. So just enjoy what you have and move on.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Why not just port the old number over to your new carrier/account before it gets reassigned? You don't owe these people anything. It sounds like you've had the company phone for a few years. It's likely the number isn't under contract anymore unless you've gotten a new phone recently. I'd at least give it a shot.

I'm pretty sure you have to own the number to port it and I do not. I also don't think I want the number. I don't need tons of calls meant for my old company coming to my new phone.

I solved this for the future by getting a Google voice number. I now have a number I can point to any phone and if I ever decide to go I can take it with me. Personal calls can go to it while business to my new number.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Here are a couple of things to consider. The favor was asked for and granted, but you did not stipulate a length of time for the message to be kept. So the manager did honor the favor. Also perhaps the manager granted the favor just to have a smooth final transition. Either way today is a new day with new issues and problems. So just enjoy what you have and move on.

You must be in management. :)

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    You left for a competitor...what did you really expect to happen? Once you have left, they have no more allegiance to you at all - regardless of what was "promised". Fortunate you didn't have a non-compete and had the opportunity to go to a competitor. My company would never allow that.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    You gave up the phone number. You want your old boss to forward your calls to his competitor? Sounds like your fortunate they didn't have a No Compete clause. I had a Business Phone, for Business only. My phone was for everything else, when you mix the two, it leads to problems.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    For the last time for those of you that are not getting the point. I am fine with him not allowing the message to be there; what I am not fine with is him lying to my face. Geeze

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For the last time for those of you that are not getting the point. I am fine with him not allowing the message to be there; what I am not fine with is him lying to my face. Geeze

We get that. Of course it makes you mad as you were straight up with him.

That said I think my response and a few others were just how we would and have done this. Our way avoids all the Bravo Sierra.

And yes....Target is in management. I would work for him.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne

Sorry you aren't getting all the exact responses you hoped for. Welcome to the internet.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

CZB, is it worth your time to either email or go personally look weasel-boy in the face and ask him why he chose to lie to you rather than just tell you 'no'?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This entire thread is annoying. You jumped ship - and thought the company you were leaving owes you something. Joke.

Your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking.
    He has already stated repeatedly on his own thread that he would have been perfectly okay with them not granting him the small favor that he had requested, albeit disappointed.
    Instead, what really pissed him off was the cowardly dishonesty.
    Get a clue.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Latin, I'm alittle rusty and it's been awhile Mr J.D.
    But here goes,
    Ad Quaestionem Facti Non Respondent Judices, Ad Quaestionem Juris Non Respondent Juratores.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking.
    He has already stated repeatedly on his own thread that he would have been perfectly okay with them not granting him the small favor that he had requested, albeit disappointed.
    Instead, what really pissed him off was the cowardly dishonesty.
    Get a clue.

My reading comprehension is just fine. I completely understand his point. Just don't agree with it. I should have worded it better. :)

Top Bottom