• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    record the message and then add the recording of him saying you could do it at the end.

The funny thing is I still have the code that would allow me to change it remotely. Its an iPhone so I guarantee they just went in and recorded it on the phone. I set up a code to be able to override the standard message.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The funny thing is I still have the code that would allow me to change it remotely. Its an iPhone so I guarantee they just went in and recorded it on the phone. I set up a code to be able to override the standard message.
    IANAL, but this would probably be a bad idea?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    That would have been fine with me but would have been massively stupid on their part. They needed me to make a smooth transition. I have ethics that I live by even though I am going to a competitor, I continued to do my best until the day I left.

Ethics? You might want to lookup ethics in the dictionary.
    Good luck with your new job. I'm out.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Ethics? You might want to lookup ethics in the dictionary.
    Good luck with your new job. I'm out.

I guess I don't follow. Are you implying it is unethical to accept a position with a competitor? If that were the case most people would be stuck in the same job for life.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    noun
    moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity.
    "medical ethics also enter into the question"
    synonyms: moral code, morals, morality, values, rights and wrongs, principles, ideals, standards (of behavior), value system, virtues, dictates of conscience.

Do you really think it's a good moral code to spend years learning a business and then leave that business for competitor? Is that really right or wrong?

Put yourself as the owner of the company you just left?
    Now put yourself as the owner of the company you just went to work for, maybe he just wants to suck what knowledge you have about the industry and customer base that you worked with and then cut you loose.
    Your new boss's already know you are willing to jump ship.

Like I said already, I'm shocked your old company just didn't cut you loose.
    But all in all you are your own moral compass, Good Luck with your new job.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    That would have been fine with me but would have been massively stupid on their part. They needed me to make a smooth transition. I have ethics that I live by even though I am going to a competitor, I continued to do my best until the day I left.
    So, the new company doesn't get your best!?:cool:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    noun
    moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity.
    synonyms: moral code, morals, morality, values, rights and wrongs, principles, ideals, standards (of behavior), value system, virtues, dictates of conscience.

Do you really think it's a good moral code to spend years learning a business and then leave that business for competitor? Is that really right or wrong?

Now put yourself as the owner of the company you just went to work for, maybe he just wants to suck what knowledge you have about the industry and customer base that you worked with and then cut you loose.

I never ever got the 2 weeks I put in for. Never.
    I usually just cleared up my work and turned in the truck. Cuts out all the silly crap.
    Where we spend our time working is not up to anyone but us. If you are happy/OK in a position then stay the course.
    If there is monetary concern or bumps in the road that makes you look over the fence to other pastures then it is time to go.
    That is my Moral compass. I owe them nothing beyond what we agreed upon at the handshake when I accepted the position. They owe me the same. If they waver or do not adhere to that agreement then yes, it is time to go.

I had a solid book of work/customers that followed me anyway.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    noun

But all in all you are your own moral compass, Good Luck with your new job

Oh brother, seriously moral code trusting a company you work for. Whatever.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    While I agree that your ex boss being compared to a weasel is an insult to the weasel, I've never worked anywhere that would give an employee going to a competitor time to make the transition.
    As a matter of fact, all of my former employers had a non-compete agreement that forbade departing employees from working for competitors withing a set time after departing, usually six months.
    Also, as has already been mentioned, it was a major blunder having your personal cell phone ever tied in with your employer at all.
    I have to differ strenuously with Clay Pigeon, though.
    As long as your former employer doesn't have anything in writing that was a non-compete agreement, there is nothing unethical about going to a competitor right away.
    What's unethical is putting yourself and your family depending on your ability to earn a living in limbo by just jumping off to a job unprepared because you thought it was the only "ethical" thing to do by not doing what you had just spent years learning to do best at.
    That's not ethical, that unethical, not to mention stupid.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I didn't see where he said that he spent years learning the business from the employer he just left. Perhaps he learned it before he started working for them, and gave them the best he had to offer, just as he is now doing for his current employer.

Further, I know few people who are not "willing to jump ship" given the right circumstances. Case in point: Employer makes the schedule for Sunday through Saturday, and provides it to employees the preceding Saturday afternoon (that is, a schedule for one week at a time, say the 8th-14th, is made available to employees the afternoon of the 7th.) Employer has a system of "fines" for various actions, many of which would reduce the employees' minimum-wage pay below that number, and for which there is no appeal within the company. Employer tells you you are an "independent contractor", but doesn't make clear that you will have to pay your withholdings yourself, including taxes and social security (and also makes the schedule, as stated, which nullifies any "independent contractor" status)

And yes, I had an employer who did all of this, not to mention hiring a couple of illegal aliens to do his yardwork, and then when it came time for them to be paid, he'd call Immigration on them and get them deported.

This was my first job as an EMT, many years ago. I knew no better at the time. Was I wrong to seek other employment, even though I had "learned the business" from his company?

And for the curious, yes, when I did leave, I incited him to giving me an order and an ultimatum, to "be there, ready to do what the hell you're told, or you'll be terminated!" I wasn't there, and I had no intention of "doing what the hell" he told me to do at that point. I did call Wage and Hour (both federal and state) IRS, Medicaid, Medicare, and Better Business Bureau on him. I do believe he had a few fines of his own to pay, not subject to the minimum wage law.
    Don't start none, won't be none.

Blessings,
    Bill

noun

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    [...]
    And yes, I had an employer who did all of this, not to mention hiring a couple of illegal aliens to do his yardwork, and then when it came time for them to be paid, he'd call Immigration on them and get them deported.

This was my first job as an EMT, many years ago. I knew no better at the time. Was I wrong to seek other employment, even though I had "learned the business" from his company?

And for the curious, yes, when I did leave, I incited him to giving me an order and an ultimatum, to "be there, ready to do what the hell you're told, or you'll be terminated!" I wasn't there, and I had no intention of "doing what the hell" he told me to do at that point. I did call Wage and Hour (both federal and state) IRS, Medicaid, Medicare, and Better Business Bureau on him. I do believe he had a few fines of his own to pay, not subject to the minimum wage law.
    Don't start none, won't be none.

Blessings,
    Bill

Justice

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

That was the first time I got to swing a "hammer" that didn't involve some type of construction project I had undertaken. I found I liked it. It was also helpful (when he tried to use his "fines" to withhold my entire last check) that during that phone call, there were two of us on the phone with him; the other was my attorney, who also happened to be my Dad. He never said a word, but let me handle it... until the check was taken up entirely by fines. That resulted in a letter to the employer on Dad's office stationery. And my check being mailed to me, in full.

That employer reminded me of the title character in the movie "Porky's", and he really grew to hate me. Or at least, I hope he did.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That was the first time I got to swing a "hammer" that didn't involve some type of construction project I had undertaken. I found I liked it. It was also helpful (when he tried to use his "fines" to withhold my entire last check) that during that phone call, there were two of us on the phone with him; the other was my attorney, who also happened to be my Dad. He never said a word, but let me handle it... until the check was taken up entirely by fines. That resulted in a letter to the employer on Dad's office stationery. And my check being mailed to me, in full.

That employer reminded me of the title character in the movie "Porky's", and he really grew to hate me. Or at least, I hope he did.

I have experienced employers like this in my working life. I never stayed long. Every where you put yourself can be a learning experience. Some people just suck. Greed/power etc. are what drives them.
    The last check situation can be tough for some folks.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As a manager let me add another possibility. Your manager wanted to do what you requested and intended to do so. Sometimes we get back to our office and call HR or our manager and then get instructed that what we thought was okay, is not and can not be done.

Top Bottom