• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    As long as I can sit up in a crawl space I am ok. Seen/smelled worse things in life.

1) Delivered to a house where the cat urine smell knocked you down about 10 feet in front of the front door. No joke, literally 10 feet in front of the door you could smell/feel the burn in your eyes.
    2) Delivering/removing old washing machine - water in the drum was black and a stench as bad if not worse than the listed above
    3)Kids throwing up on you on the bus. Nuff said.

Crawl spaces, sure they are tight and uncomfortable and smell but I can deal with it - I think.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    As long as I can sit up in a crawl space I am ok. Seen/smelled worse things in life.

1) Delivered to a house where the cat urine smell knocked you down about 10 feet in front of the front door. No joke, literally 10 feet in front of the door you could smell/feel the burn in your eyes.
    2) Delivering/removing old washing machine - water in the drum was black and a stench as bad if not worse than the listed above

Crawl spaces, sure they are tight and uncomfortable and smell but I can deal with it - I think.
    fair enough. I don't do well with tight spaces. Granted tight for me is loose on most... I'm 6'2", 245 lbs.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

it is real fun when the cat box is right next the furnace.....or **** pipe been off under the house for a couple years!!!!!....fun fun.....

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    One word: Crawlspaces.

Between doing my own HVAC (well, HAC) in the crawlspace and the horror stories I've heard from my buddy's 2 years as a DISH installer, you need a strong stomach and a strong set of knee pads. (and in my case, some hip-waders)

I heard on the interwebs that all crawlspaces are filled with fairies, unicorns and aromatic flowers.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Heard from the Union again today. They wanted to know if I were interested in a trainee job. If I remember correctly, this would be a $9.00/hr job.
    I never told them yes/no but that I had enrolled at Ivy Tech since I didn't make the cut so I can learn the trade. They replied with if you change your mind, let us know.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Heard from the Union again today. They wanted to know if I were interested in a trainee job. If I remember correctly, this would be a $9.00/hr job.
    I never told them yes/no but that I had enrolled at Ivy Tech since I didn't make the cut so I can learn the trade. They replied with if you change your mind, let us know.

Not exactly sure what the Trainee scale is but it does advance. They are likely to take from the trainee roster if anything opens up as far as maint. Trades men which is another step up towards either journeymen or the apprenticeship.

Call and get the skinny on the pay

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We turn in our written final today, we take our test for heat/gas heat certification Monday, and hands on final in the lab Tuesday.
    As it stands now, I have (final grade) 91% in electric heat and basic electricity, and 89.5% in gas heat. Just 1/2 of a % away from an A.
    :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We turn in our written final today, we take our test for heat/gas heat certification Monday, and hands on final in the lab Tuesday.
    As it stands now, I have (final grade) 91% in electric head and basic electricity, and 89.5% in gas heat. Just 1/2 of a % away from an A.
    :)

Don't get cocky new guy.......:):

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Funny story...

Years ago, I worked HVAC installing residential units and had to take a test for my refrigerant license. I can't remember exactly, but I'm thinking there were four classes for your license. I didn't bother to study (I wasn't paying for it and didn't really care since I was making $6/hr), took the test, and passed three of the four. Want to guess which one I failed? Yep, residential. My boss wasn't pleased.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Anxious to finish my hands on final I messed up I shouldn't have. That said I got a 92% on my hands on final. Written final was not graded yet.
    Bad news I missed a certification for gas heat by 3 points (3 questions). Yea I didn't do so hot on that one:(

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Bringing back this old thread, I have accepted a job as an Install Helper, something we learned nothing about in school - except for brazing.
    Hands on in lab for cooling was lacking.

Pay isn't great, the drive will suck but I have my feet in the door and that means no more bus driving!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bringing back this old thread, I have accepted a job as an Install Helper, something we learned nothing about in school - except for brazing.
    Hands on in lab for cooling was lacking.

Pay isn't great, the drive will suck but I have my feet in the door and that means no more bus driving!

To see the systems go in from scratch will only benefit you down the road. Wiring/piping/metal work/setting units are all part of the big picture.
    Feel free to ask anything of me as you progress.

Top Bottom