• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    LMAO, I guess you just worked for the wrong company, I have been doing it for 30 years and it is nowhere as bad as you portray it. O.P. 1st you need to be honest with yourself.....are you mechanically minded, do you think fast on your feet, do you like overtime, and do you work well without close supervision ?If the answer to all these is yes then i would encourage you to get some training and yet a kob doing install while you are going to school. Once out of school you need to move to service and i would recommend commerical/ industrial service since the money is better ($28/$38 hr non-union) . If you are computer savy controls is a fast growing field and a little easier on the body.P.S. in 30 + years i have never been layed off or had a week with less than 40 hours

This is it. I work to work for JCI after working residential and light commercial and never regretted the move. If you're smart let the UA local 440 train you while getting paid $16 to start plus bennys. Find a place that does chillers like JCI or Carrier and if you're good you will never lack for work the rest of your life. JCI is currently looking for good chiller mechanics right now. PM me if interested.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is it. I work to work for JCI after working residential and light commercial and never regretted the move. If you're smart let the UA local 440 train you while getting paid $16 to start plus bennys. Find a place that does chillers like JCI or Carrier and if you're good you will never lack for work the rest of your life. JCI is currently looking for good chiller mechanics right now. PM me if interested.

^^^^^^^^^^There you go^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I never worked for JCI but I considered it at one point.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    sig-guy, it sure seems like you've had bad experiences and you're extremely bitter. You may have some good knowledge but your delivery kills it. The hostility in your posts made me think right away that you either hated and quit or currently hate your profession. Lighten up.

+1,

Sig-guy all you have done is whine about everything that you might come across and how hard the work is, well I got bad news son that is why, in this line of work, you make the big bucks, because it can be a demanding job, but a fun and very rewarding job.

So if you hate it so much and the job is so hard on your body then why not take up an easier occupation, one that won't tax you so bad..........

I here Wal-Mart is hiring for store greeters.

Of course it doesn't pay as well

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

+1,

Sig-guy all you have done is whine about everything that you might come across and how hard the work is, well I got bad news son that is why you make the big bucks, because it can be a demanding job, but a fun and very rewarding job.

So if you hate it so much and the profession is so hard on your body then why not take up an easier occupation, one that won't tax you so bad..........

I am still active in the trade. Retired (Re-turd..:dunno:) but my phone keeps ringing. The trade has been great for me even in the stressful times. I do get to pick and choose what i do these days. Old and reliable customers will always be taken care of.

Sig man is very centered in his opinions and does come across as one of those all knowing fellas. No worries. I am sure I have done the same at some point. It would make his head come unscrewed if he went and experienced some of what I have been lucky enough to work on. Machine rooms with well in excess of 4000 horse power and possibly more.
    I really enjoy him lecturing me sometimes. He does have some knowledge of his craft. Problem is I only dable in residential. Never did it full time for employment but have done enough to really understand it.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have several friends that work for JCI and they are a great company to work for, Siemens is also another good company especially if you like controls work.

Way to many layers of management for me. Some folks fit right into that kind of corporate structure....me, not so much.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I am still active in the trade. Retired (Re-turd..:dunno:) but my phone keeps ringing. The trade has been great for me even in the stressful times. I do get to pick and choose what i do these days. Old and reliable customers will always be taken care of.

Sig man is very centered in his opinions and does come across as one of those all knowing fellas. No worries. I am sure I have done the same at some point. It would make his head come unscrewed if he went and experienced some of what I have been lucky enough to work on. Machine rooms with well in excess of 4000 horse power and possibly more.
    I really enjoy him lecturing me sometimes. He does have some knowledge of his craft. Problem is I only dable in residential. Never did it full time for employment but have done enough to really understand it.

a room of 6 600hp centrifugal's is fun to play in....the old r-11's and ammonia was fun too.......was ask to go to work at JCI and turned it down when got out of the union(136).....i do my own thing now and haven't missed any meals........

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So who wants to tell how the application process is like for a union apprentice program or what should I expect? And can we please keep the pro/anti union debate in a different thread?

Might not be a bad idea to go to the library and flip through some BASIC hvac and electrical books. Absorb everything you can, you don't even know how remembering some obscure formula or tidbit of info will save your butt on the job. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of experience. I sang opera and played classical piano in college.....no I'm not kidding....the most mechanical thing I had ever done was change oil and brakes with my dad.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013

+1,

Sig-guy all you have done is whine about everything that you might come across and how hard the work is, well I got bad news son that is why, in this line of work, you make the big bucks, because it can be a demanding job, but a fun and very rewarding job.

So if you hate it so much and the job is so hard on your body then why not take up an easier occupation, one that won't tax you so bad..........

Oh look, the BIG Bully is back and still making sh*t up!

I posted the dirty that comes with the trade. No whining, just posting the facts and you can't argue with the FACTS. And don't call me 'son', you can shove that right where the sun doesn't shine.

You have done nothing but make sh*t up and post it. You must have missed this comment in MY very FIRST post:
    It can be very rewarding at times and very stressful at others. Good luck with your decision.

Now, do you have any further info for the OP or are you going to post more ideas of yours, that I NEVER posted/stated?

Last edited:

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    . And don't call me 'son', you can shove that right where the sun doesn't shine.

Yep you are correct about one thing, calling you son, no son of mine would be allowed to whine like you do.

Hope you find that job that is all sunshine and roses Sig-guy, but until then I will think of you everytime I enter Wal-Mart.

Last edited:

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Yep you are correct about one thing, calling you son, no son of mine would be allowed to whine like you do.

Hope you find that job that is all sunshine and roses Sig-guy, but until then I will think of you everytime I enter Wal-Mart.

The only one 'whining' is the poster using BLUE text, or should I say 'playing school yard Bully'?

Do you have any more info for the OP or NOT?

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Might not be a bad idea to go to the library and flip through some BASIC hvac and electrical books. Absorb everything you can, you don't even know how remembering some obscure formula or tidbit of info will save your butt on the job. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of experience. I sang opera and played classical piano in college.....no I'm not kidding....the most mechanical thing I had ever done was change oil and brakes with my dad.

Call the union office which is located by the FedEx center at the airport. They should be able to answer all your questions. UA Local 440 training office 317-856-6426.

Top Bottom