How to handle a 'creeper' without getting in trouble?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I certainly appreciate all the advice. Her Dad brings her to and from work, so that location is not a problem.

After much thought, this will be my "plan of attack"; My first step will be to ask the manager/owner to tell him to leave & never come back. If he does not agree, then I will ask him why he values one customer more than the safety of his employees. If he doesn't change his mind, I will ask her to quit. She values my opinion, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Then I will probably approach him & let him know that she is my niece, that I love her, & that I will protect her with my life. Then I will let him know that I know who he is, have his picture, & license #, and ask him to never show his face near her again.

I will do this in a polite but firm way, and I will be using a voice recorder the entire time, so that if he accuses me of threatening him, I will have evidence to the contrary.

I'd be more than happy to meet you at the joint and "help" you talk to him.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Can I make a suggestion, as a father of adult daughters?
    Don't jump to too many conclusions just yet...
    Most 15 year old girls are drama queens. I would not go crazy planning things until the girl's father has spoken with the manager.

I may be reading too much into this, but why is her father not the one to sort this out?

Great question. Her father is a hot head and might not handle it as calmly as me. I just went in and talked to the owner & asked him to ask the guy to leave and not come back. The owner said "next time he comes in, I will do it". He said he also has kids & knows how I feel.

Hopefully that will be the end of it.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    So many excellent posts but I didn't see a suggestion to get a picture (image) of the person of interest/suspect. Perhaps another employee knows the persons name or if he is sloppy, get his name off of his credit card. It's a public place and if a non-employee takes an image of him, there's nothing he can do. Perhaps the restaurant has a CCTV with recording. Ask the manage to either give you the tape after he shows up or at least store the copy in a safe place for awhile. The employer needs to 100% step up !

The part where he comes in and then leaves should send up red flares. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Concerned Citizen,

How does this girl get to and from work?

First of all (from my retired LEO command officer viewpoint) this man's behavior is potentially VERY dangerous.

The critical venue will be AWAY from her job. She must not be allowed to go to/from work alone. He can't hurt her while she's at work.

You have to consider whether or not he has followed her home and determined where she lives.

If she were my niece I would arrange a stakeout to see if this man is watching her and following her home.

I agree that LEO options are limited if all he's doing is patronizing the place where she works, although the management SHOULD tell him that he is making her uncomfortable. The business owner has the authority to bar him from the premises...law enforcement does not.

If he can be caught following her home, you then get into the realm of stalking, and police may have some options.

Also, if he HAS been following her home, the danger is far greater, since she won't be able to be HOME alone.

Some sort of positive action is indicated here.

Do you ever post anything but great stories and sound advice?

Concerned Citizen, are you not going to stick around to get a plate number? If your niece ever came up missing, that could come in handy.

Having the owner tell him to leave and not come back could send him into psycho mode.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    We have had a similar problem at the place I work. A older man would only come in when a certain girl worked. She worked another job as well, and he would go to that place too only when she worked. We got his name and looked him up and it turns out he is a registered sex offender and was just released from prison. We have the sheriff's office number on our wall next to a picture of him, and if he continues to show up when she works, we are to call that number.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    I'll use some tact here because this is a touchy subject and stray from my usual barbarity by proclaiming this POS needs put in the ground alive.

I will however say that even if this POS is confronted in a PC manner and then moves on, he will just find another target.

On to someone elses daughter that he could possibly kidnap, rape and murder?

Pretty grim, but possible nonetheless.

I wouldn't want to live with that on my consience.

Just saying...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'll use some tact here because this is a touchy subject and stray from my usual barbarity by proclaiming this POS needs put in the ground alive.

I will however say that even if this POS is confronted in a PC manner and then moves on, he will just find another target.

Just saying...

I'm not sure if I follow...Are you saying CC's niece should be used as bait?

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh

Just saying...

I'm not sure if I follow...Are you saying CC's niece should be used as bait?

No, he isn't even remotely suggesting that. He said he is using "tact". The problem needs a solution, not half measures. Now use your imagination.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Nope.

But, I'm not going to say on a pub forum what needs to be done.

Capiche?

You'd better hope he actually is a predator then and not someone who has a misplaced sense of friendliness in today's paranoid climate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for slow death for predators. I'm also all for making damn sure the person actually IS a predator since mob justice is sorta counter to that little document folks around here like to bandy about, you know, that Constitution thingy?

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Invite a bunch of your INGO buddies for an OC'ing event at her restaurant when she is working and the "creepier" is there. Have her walk up to your INGO buddies and call several of them "UNCLE".

That should get his attention...

This is an excellent idea! Why did it take 19 comments to say this???? Hell yeah I'd be showing him my gun.

I know a gun should not be used for intimidation but when pervs are stalking young girls you have to do whatever is necessary to protect them. If you & your friends can't OC in the place then someone needs to grab the perv by the collar & have a little talk with him. In a case like this you don't wait for him to snatch or harm her before reacting. If she is nervous or afraid he technically already has harmed her. If you do it outside with no witnesses, it's just his word against yours.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Shibum makes a valid point vand I'll give him that.

Till this guy actually does something, or has been found to have done something wrong in the past, it is wrong to want ill will.

Just sucks knowing that even if this situation corrects itself thru whatever means that he could simply move along to possibly victimize someone else.

This is a tough one and will weigh on my consciousness.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I like the way the IRA used to deal with traitors, and creeps, one shot to the right elbow, and one to the left knee, won't kill 'em just cripple 'em.....he won't bother her again!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Shibum makes a valid point vand I'll give him that.

Till this guy actually does something, or has been found to have done something wrong in the past, it is wrong to want ill will.

Just sucks knowing that even if this situation corrects itself thru whatever means that he could simply move along to possibly victimize someone else.

This is a tough one and will weigh on my consciousness.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm ok with a little preventative precaution! I have deep and very personal connections to this kind of situation. I just think that there should be no doubt at all about the guy's intentions before a beatdown or worse is administered. I certainly think that the guy warrants a little surveillance since he's expressed interest in the girl.

Top Bottom