• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    This bring us back to the conversation that we had in another one of my threads. The SHTF firearms one. I agree with all your points. ( It didn't suck in the 40s in my opinion it did its job). The biggest thing is. What are YOU most comfortable with? The AR is a superior weapons system from building one I see that. But the Mosin is always my go to gun. Also this guys friends have up a good firearm when they decided not to arm themselves

It sucked in the 40s. There was technology available to build and support much MUCH better guns. The M1 is a good example. What weapon are you must comfortable with only goes so far. I agree with the statement as a whole. Heres the problem with it. You admit that the AR is a superior weapon. So is the AK, SKS, M1 carbine, M1 Garand, and the list goes on and on. To get more comfortable with any of these rifles would be quick work if you are used to a Mosin.

Any of these rifles are a breeze to operate in a combat environment when compared to a Mosin. If you tell me that you have a Mosin, and an AR but you are grabbing a Mosin with **** goes bump in the night/ civil insurrection, SHTF it only tells me that you failed to prepare yourself to use the proper tool.

Its almost as if you are building a tree house. You have a rock in the left hand and a hammer in the right. You are looking at the nail in front of you and you put the hammer down in favor of the rock. You have been using the rock and are comfortable with it. The hammer is new technology and much quicker and more efficient then the rock, however you use the rock because it has killed germa......I mean it has hammered a nail before.

Doesnt make any sense. The fact that they didnt arm themselves, in my opinion of course, is retarded to begin with. However, he is asking what is a good choice for him to arm them. The mosin is better than a stick, but worse then 25 (generous here) other choices.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Can we just agree that the mosin is a cheap, fun, crude, OUTDATED rifle. Why cant it just be that?
    No, but I give you credit for trying to compromise.

I see no real fun in owning one. My time is valuable so fidiling with one is actually kind of expensive when you apply opportunity cost to Mosin ownership. Opportunity being I could have been doing something else.

Crude & outdated, sure nuff'.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No, but I give you credit for trying to compromise.

I see no real fun in owning one. My time is valuable so fidiling with one is actually kind of expensive when you apply opportunit cost to Mosin ownership. Opportunity being I could have been doing something else.

Crude & outdated, sure nuff'.

This has caused a lot of comment and ideas to be discussed in an open forum. That in itself is great. I have recently fired a Mosin and hold it akin to a 1936 Harley Davidson or an Indian of the same era. "If" you can get it started the experience of the ride is something you are glad that happened so you can appreciated the tech. advances you now have. I will put my Remington 700 to use long before considering a Mosin. They are what they are, no flame job here.

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I agree with previous posts about being concerned about the general state of preparedness of anyone who needed to be provided with a weapon. Are you also prepared to provide them with food, shelter, sturdy clothing, general survival gear, etc? That being said, I'd probably look to High Point carbines in 9mm, Marlin 795 .22 rifles and H&R Pardner Protector shotguns. These are all good budget firearms in common calibers. Mosins are good rifles, but foraging for ammo could be problematic, unless you're fortunate enough to come across a post-apocalypse gun show. :)

wlong0741

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2011
    Elkhart
    If the SHTF you want something that is common, .338 Lupau is nice but who has a large amount of ammo? I would stick with NATO or Eastern Block rounds. When I was in Iraq, I had an AK for back up, the reason being, if I ever ran dry of 5.56mm, the more of them I shot the more ammo I could find lying around the battlefield.
    In addition to that, I would also have a .22LR for small game hunting. It's lighter, and cheap.
    With that being said, I would have a Glock in 9mm, AK 7.69x39, Mossberg 500, and a Ruger 10/22. You could purchase all that for less than $1500.
    If you could afford more, I would go with an AR platform over the AK.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Having given this some thought, for ease of use, commonality of ammo and priced right to have extras on hand to provide to friend and family, I am thinking a single shot 12 ga, maybe a 410ga for women.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    You are maybe the worst mosin nut-swinger on this site. I say worst because I am so tired of the small amount of guys that fancy themselves John Rambo and will be running ambush operations when the government falls and civil insurrection is upon us. The worst part of it is that you have ZERO combat experience and a LIMITED working knowledge of firearms in general. You love guns and I think that is awesome. The problem is you interject into so many conversations and talk like you have some inside information that the Mosin is making a comeback as a service rifle.

I have spent time debating the merits of mosin VS any other firearm and you have yet to show any reason other then "the mosin is still in service!" (its not and I dont care what Wiki says). There may be...MAY BE a very very limited number of mosins in service as a "sniper rifle" in countries that cannot afford to feed their soldiers much less field a new rifle.

Sure, "the Mosin killed a lot of Germans". Ya, and spears killed a lot of Persians. Swords killed a lot of pirates. Muzzle loaders killed a lot of just about everybody. Guess what. They are all just as OBSOLETE as a mosin at this point (slightly sarcastic). The mosin is better then anything I just named. The problem is I could name 25 rifles better then a mosin for a comparable price. The Mosin sucked as a battle rifle in 1940 and it sucks now as one.

Can we just agree that the mosin is a cheap, fun, crude, OUTDATED rifle. Why cant it just be that? Why does it have to be the meanest/most bad ass/sniper/infantry/SHTF rifle on the planet. Shoot them until your heart is content. Build it into a sweet rifle. They are like ****ing pokemon. Collect them all. But please, please, for the love of God, stop talking about them like they are the end all be all fighting rifle. JUST STOP.

/Rant.

I would like to apologize now for any butts that I hurt. Mosinowner is not the only person that this is directed towards. He just happens to be the one I see on a daily basis, thus the target of my post. Dont take this personal. I hope that my son (3 months old) is as passionate about guns as you are. It would do you some good to sit back and take info in. Comment when it is appropriate and decipher the BS that gets posted daily from the posts that have something to back them up. For example Facts.

At least we're in Indiana and he's in Texas :)

...Semi-Joking. I myself wouldn't mind having a little flavor in all ranges. A mosin might be nice for a SHTF situation. Why? Because I can afford the rifle and a few spam cans of 440 rds each, that's an easy horde right there. Would also like a close range shooter, a reliable shotgun. Again speaking on affordability, something like the Maverick 88. And a trusty Glock or Sig, Glock preferred since I already own one. :)

As far as my friends - most of them are gun owners themselves so I guess I really don't need to stockpile too much on my own!

EDIT:
    Am I the only one here who would make a trip to Tennessee to hide under the wings of Hickok45 and tnoutdoors9? =)

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    At least we're in Indiana and he's in Texas :)

...Semi-Joking. I myself wouldn't mind having a little flavor in all ranges. A mosin might be nice for a SHTF situation. Why? Because I can afford the rifle and a few spam cans of 440 rds each, that's an easy horde right there. Would also like a close range shooter, a reliable shotgun. Again speaking on affordability, something like the Maverick 88. And a trusty Glock or Sig, Glock preferred since I already own one. :)

As far as my friends - most of them are gun owners themselves so I guess I really don't need to stockpile too much on my own!

EDIT:
    Am I the only one here who would make a trip to Tennessee to hide under the wings of Hickok45 and tnoutdoors9? =)
    Mosin ammo is cheap. I think I'll buy more

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yeah I knew it was a CROWS, not the 50 cal part, but my answer was a LOT funnier... :laugh:
    I am sure millions of dead Russian Soldiers would have got the joke too..........except they are dead. I think that is where the phrase "from my cold dead fingers" originated?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Having given this some thought, for ease of use, commonality of ammo and priced right to have extras on hand to provide to friend and family, I am thinking a single shot 12 ga, maybe a 410ga for women.
    The cost of .410 ammo alone justifes any 9mm carbine purchase, like a Keltec 2000 or Beretta Storm. The .410 is a turd 24/7. Get a mosin before you do that, she won't shoot it either, but holding one will draw more fire in her direction allowing you a chance to survive.

It may sound cold, but at least it gives her death meaning and purpose.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The cost of .410 ammo alone justifes any 9mm carbine purchase, like a Keltec 2000 or Beretta Storm. The .410 is a turd 24/7. Get a mosin before you do that, she won't shoot it either, but hodling one will draw more fire in her direction allowing you a chance to survive.

It may sound cold, but at least it gives her death meaning and purpose.
    My wife wants an AR in .357 Sig... :popcorn:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I could be wrong, but one thing is for sure, the Nazis killed the sh** out of millions with 9mm. Krauts have great tactics and short tempers, good mix in combat.

Anger and Ferocity is only good if you can still allow Logic to plan its use though...

* That was for the Younger Patrons of the Site, not necessarily Zoub... :popcorn:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    My wife wants an AR in .357 Sig... :popcorn:
    Did you ever cross paths with Kurt of Kurts Kustoms, KKF, in Florida? He passed away but before he did, he made some kick ass AR's in that caliber.

Still, I bet a Mosin throws some kickass fireballs, so it could also be used as a firestarter making it a multi-purpose survival gun.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Did you ever cross paths with Kurt of Kurts Kustoms, KKF, in Florida? He passed away but before he did, he made some kick ass AR's in that caliber.
    No but I have seen his work...
    Amazing...

Have you seen/heard of the RMW Uppers that are Direct Impingement?!
    Currently saving for my next project... ;)

Still, I bet a Mosin throws some kickass fireballs, so it could also be used as a firestarter making it a multi-purpose survival gun.
    Or a Signal device...

Saying here I am please do something to help me out of here...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Anger and Ferocity is only good if you can still allow Logic to plan its use though...

* That was for the Younger Patrons of the Site, not necessarily Zoub... :popcorn:
    Of course. All the history buffs know the Germans PLAN everything first. They come by their hate naturally for the English gardner and their organized chaos. If they had captured England, the first thing they would have done is fixed the whole island...............buying the USA time for a counter attack.

BUT that pesky Mosin was up their butt on the Eastern Front. Although, you kinda have to blame Hitler for that one, not superior weapons design.

Top Bottom