• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Is the K98 still In service today? The Mosin can be upgraded to something similar to the R700. The K98 is a good rifle but they cost upwards of $500 sometimes
    Neither is the Mosin...

And the Mosin cannot be upgraded anything even close to what an R700 is out of the Box...

The K98 though, those can be made very, very good shooter...

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    Is the K98 still In service today? The Mosin can be upgraded to something similar to the R700. The K98 is a good rifle but they cost upwards of $500 sometimes
    You just did an AR build and you are workin up to an SBR build,(dont forget the stamp BTW) $500.00 is a just a drop in the bucket compared to those projects.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Neither is the Mosin...

And the Mosin cannot be upgraded anything even close to what an R700 is out of the Box...

The K98 though, those can be made very, very good shooter...

The Mosin is in service I forgot were I posted the video but it's calledv Mosin nagants in modern warfare. It can be made close to the R700. Ive seen upgrades done to it that make it as good if not better than the R700 out of the box. I own a K98 and it's accurate but not as accurate as my Mosin

You just did an AR build and you are workin up to an SBR build,(dont forget the stamp BTW) $500.00 is a just a drop in the bucket compared to those projects.

But he wants to cheaply arm his buddies I wouldn't build SBRs for all my buddies

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The second half of my comment was less directed at you and more at the masses that think they can go it alone with the 4 person family unit.... ;)

If SHTF forces me to have to go to Wisconsin, have no doubt that I will be robbing and plundering my way to you... :D:popcorn:

We were cool till that...
    DB....
    Just have to go rub it i don't cha... :ar15:
    Not going today. It is just far enough that it is not a quick. hop. I am cooking a turkey instead but we will be taste testing at 5pm Central TODAY while we talk about hydroponics, gardening and this wonderful little 2.5 acres we may be able to use for free!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    15213.jpg
    Wrong mag in it! Ours stows nicely in a small samsonite lap top bag. I should say "hers" as it was my GF's first gun purchase that she did WITHOUT me.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I don't get the whole mosin thing, I would think that the un-intiated would be far better served with 10 22's or as already mentioned Hi points,something small and light weight and manueverable.

Yeah mosins are cheap, way better than a rock, but for someone with little firearms experience they would not be my first choice.

Russian troops were killed at the rate of four to one by the german invaders, so if those are acceptable numbers to you by all means grab a mosin.

If wars were won by body count alone, the germans won both world wars. So if your hell bent on defending yourself with a hundred year old bolt gun you might want to get a k98, a proven winner.

Remember though that only 1 in 10 Russian defenders were sent out with any kind of gun at all. They were supposed to wait until the comrade with the gun was killed and then step in, pick it up, and die in the defense of the Motherland, and the next guy in line picks up your gun.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I posted earlier, opining K frame 38/357 wheelguns and AK/SKS rifles would do it.

Then I got to thinking, "Who are these 'buddies' who have no arms themselves?". I do not have ANYONE I am close enough to be willing to arm in a SHTF who is not already armed.

From my pastor to all of my friends. Some are hunters and woodsmen but not "preppers" to the extent we talk about (at least that I know). Some are just working guys who own and carry handguns and like to shoot. Some would put my preps to shame. I am happy to say I have no kooky antigun or unarmed people in my circle of friends or my family.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    DanO.

Bingo. I have a lot of buddies. Many of them are total lamebrains. No preps. No guns. Then I have "crew". They are like brothers. I would give them my last gun and bullet. I would always give them the best I have if they showed up without. Because I know they would have taken out a bunch of the bad guys first and E&E'd for days to get to me.

Thats crew. But they would show up with the proper gear and equipment for the party.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The Mosin is in service I forgot were I posted the video but it's calledv Mosin nagants in modern warfare.
    There are NO countries, or Organized Forces that have the Mosin-Nagant in Service. None...

If you have Proof to the Contrary I would love to see it... :popcorn:

It can be made close to the R700. Ive seen upgrades done to it that make it as good if not better than the R700 out of the box. I own a K98 and it's accurate but not as accurate as my Mosin
    Hell you can make almost any rifle Accurate. If you spend Money like the Federal Government. To make the Mosin shoot in the Same Class as an R700 you are going to need a Mint to buy all the parts you are going to replace or mod. Not feasible, but yes it can be done.

You can build a k98 for a LOT less money. Better action anyway as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I posted earlier in this thread but someone made the statement about this is to hard to do on your own. They are right in the fact of strength in numbers. We all have associations and friendships. Who would you allow in your world in a SHTF situation. A lot of the people who may seek us out are already armed to an extent and have skill sets that would be needed in such a scenario. I have several 12 gauge pump guns and a few auto loaders. That would be my share weapons. Of course as stated in my earlier thread, food, fuel and water required. An abandoned child is one issue, a looter is a moving target

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    There are NO countries, or Organized Forces that have the Mosin-Nagant in Service. None...

If you have Proof to the Contrary I would love to see it... :popcorn:

Hell you can make almost any rifle Accurate. If you spend Money like the Federal Government. To make the Mosin shoot in the Same Class as an R700 you are going to need a Mint to buy all the parts you are going to replace or mod. Not feasible, but yes it can be done.

You can build a k98 for a LOT less money. Better action anyway as well.

Since I can't post videos from my iPhone at least I think I can't your going to have to go to the thread AK vs AR to find it. Also throw a PU scope on a rifle that has the barrel replaced with a heavy barrel replace then stock and trigger you have a R700

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    You must be a pretty good buddy. If someone wanted me to buy some "extra" guns so they could be armed in the event of an emergency, I would tell them to get their own. Not trying to be mean, but they are big boys too.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    You must be a pretty good buddy. If someone wanted me to buy some "extra" guns so they could be armed in the event of an emergency, I would tell them to get their own. Not trying to be mean, but they are big boys too.

I'm with you on this.Just like the grasshoper and ants childrens story.Also I would be worried about arming other people that did not prep for this type of scenario. If they didn't prep with weapons,chances are they didn't prep for food,water and other necessities.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I'd rather arm my friends with cheap pump mossbergs than freaking mosin's. Seriously, you can buy a BRAND NEW (read, not 100 year old piece of ****) maverick for like what, $175?

Okay, so your friends were too stupid to prep. Mosins are going to be engaging targets at 100+ feet.

Your trust your idiots friends to make those shots...? No, you use your AR to take those shots, and you let your moron friends point and shoot up close with shotguns. Very simpler to operate, and 12 gauge is pretty damn plentiful.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I'd rather arm my friends with cheap pump mossbergs than freaking mosin's. Seriously, you can buy a BRAND NEW (read, not 100 year old piece of ****) maverick for like what, $175?

Uh-oh :):. Hope you got your flamesuit ready. I don't think they're viable weapons either but they have a rabid cult following here.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Uh-oh :):. Hope you got your flamesuit ready. I don't think they're viable weapons either but they have a rabid cult following here.

The cult following will actually have a base to argue from when they find me a modern military, that isn't in a 3rd world country, that issues the mosin nagant to their troops.

As far as I see it, it's a piece of junk gun for under $90.

Big whoop, you can buy 11 of them for a thousand bucks.

I'd still rather have my AR.

Top Bottom