• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have logic. I'm not saying the Mosin is a better weapon than the AR or AK or SKS ect ect. Im saying it would work for SHTF purposes.

I gotta chime in in defense of MO on this. And, I don't even have a Mosin. Not opposed to them, certainly, will probably acquire one as time marches on. But, I'm certainly not a Mosin fanboi.

To paraphrase the OP, the main criteria is for a gun/guns that non-gun people can readily use. So, do we really want some gun n00b messing around with uber tactical EBRs? Probably not. I would look for something simple, reliable, and effective - probably in that order. Plus, with a Mosin, at some point, they could probably "field requisition" an upgrade.

On a related note, I'd not buy the guns for them.* They'd have no skin in the game. I'd do the same thing I'd do for anyone else looking to buy a gun - figure out what you want to do with it, then how much money you want to spend. Since this is the SHTF forum, I'd probably also borrow from the "Guns Every Gun Owner Should Have" thread and tell them to get a "big boy" rifle, a pistol, a shotgun, and a .22 rifle.

For rifles, particularly for those that are short on cash, I'd put the Mosin on the list. I'd probably push towards SKS/AK/AR platforms, but any WWII era rifle would be on the list, too. Of course, I would also caution that if they get too wacky with ammo type, it will get harder to help them out. If they want to go for .404 Ultra Super Hopped Up Hollow Points ++ stuff, then dey be on dey own.

Also, just a thought here... maybe train BEFORE SHTF? :dunno:

Really, I think the conversation about "Hey can you get us some guns" could really be turned more into a "Sure, but before we do that, how about let's go to the range and figure out what works for you duffs." If they aren't gun-types now, that sort of thing can help get them there, at less of a cost to you!

(Also, apologies if this was covered earlier up-thread. I didn't read the whole danged thing.) :)

* If this was some sort of quid pro quo, where some other guy was responsible for food, another for generator and fuel, etc., I might consider it. Otherwise, I would want them to undertake the investment.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Typing mosin should get you a temporary ban..

Honestly, I'm tired of reading posts defending something that I'd rather use as firewood.

Have you guys shot a mosin?
    I'm an AR guy, and a friend brought his Mosin out on our last shooting/offroading trip. I figured I'd give it a whirl.

Absolutely. Hated. It.

Longest trigger pull of all time
    Terrible sights
    Long as all hell
    Absolutely unergonomic

Instead of wasting $100 on that piece of ****, buy 250 rounds of 5.56 ammo, or a ton of firewood because that's probably what you'll end up using the mosin for anyway. Buy $100 worth of ramen noodles. Anything would be money better spent.

Take your $100, buy 4 bows from the nearest pawn shop. Take another $100 to invest in arrows. Much better solution.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The cost of .410 ammo alone justifes any 9mm carbine purchase, like a Keltec 2000 or Beretta Storm. The .410 is a turd 24/7. Get a mosin before you do that, she won't shoot it either, but holding one will draw more fire in her direction allowing you a chance to survive.

It may sound cold, but at least it gives her death meaning and purpose.
    I always wonder if a person who questions the effectiveness of certain calibers of ammo would want to be on the wrong end of a firearm full of that crappy ammo.

You can buy alot of single shot shotguns and ammo for the cost of a Beretta Storm. I dont think your suggestion makes sense based upon the OP.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Typing mosin should get you a temporary ban..

Honestly, I'm tired of reading posts defending something that I'd rather use as firewood.

Have you guys shot a mosin?
    I'm an AR guy, and a friend brought his Mosin out on our last shooting/offroading trip. I figured I'd give it a whirl.

Absolutely. Hated. It.

Longest trigger pull of all time
    Terrible sights
    Long as all hell
    Absolutely unergonomic

Instead of wasting $100 on that piece of ****, buy 250 rounds of 5.56 ammo, or a ton of firewood because that's probably what you'll end up using the mosin for anyway. Buy $100 worth of ramen noodles. Anything would be money better spent.

Take your $100, buy 4 bows from the nearest pawn shop. Take another $100 to invest in arrows. Much better solution.

Every Mosin is different. My 1925 has a great trigger and I like the dovetail sights. It's your opinion that the Mosin is the worst gun of all time. Not mine

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Every Mosin is different. My 1925 has a great trigger and I like the dovetail sights. It's your opinion that the Mosin is the worst gun of all time. Not mine

Then shut up and quit shoving YOUR opinion down everyone elses' throats like you have been throughout this entire thread and across the forums.

And don't get butt-hurt when other people argue against your precious firewood

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Then shut up and quit shoving YOUR opinion down everyone elses' throats like you have been throughout this entire thread and across the forums.

And don't get butt-hurt when other people argue against your precious firewood

Ok then someone is overreacting alittle bit

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    To paraphrase the OP, the main criteria is for a gun/guns that non-gun people can readily use. So, do we really want some gun n00b messing around with uber tactical EBRs? Probably not. I would look for something simple, reliable, and effective - probably in that order. Plus, with a Mosin, at some point, they could probably "field requisition" an upgrade.

Yes. Is ANYBODY really going to be more effective with a Mosin than an AR or AK? If I have three untrained friends that I need to help defend my property, I'd much rather give them the ability to at least put rounds down range in the vicinity of the bad guys. Is an inexperienced shooter going to be more effective with a bolt action rifle or a semi-auto in a gunfight? I just don't see a gun noob is going to be more effective with a weapon which is more difficult to operate.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I wonder if in the future people will have this same arguement except Thea gun like the AR will take the place of the Mosin

I'm sure they will. But firearms technology evolves. Some people will recognize that and others won't. When the AR is obsolete and no longer effective as a defensive weapon, it's time to move on.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    One guy with a semi-auto AR, good position, tactics and 30 round mags can F-up ten guys with Mosins.
    However, in the spirit of the thread, ten guys with mosins, no matter their skill level, in good position are going to do a number on one guy with an AR walking into an unfamiliar home, looking to do some looting.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I always wonder if a person who questions the effectiveness of certain calibers of ammo would want to be on the wrong end of a firearm full of that crappy ammo.

You can buy alot of single shot shotguns and ammo for the cost of a Beretta Storm. I dont think your suggestion makes sense based upon the OP.

Those suggestions make perfect sense. Would you want to engage a guy who has an AK if you have single shot 410? Didn't think so. I don't want to get shot in the face by a .22 LR, but to argue that the .22 LR is just as effective as a 7.62x39 or 5.56x45 in a gunfight is asinine.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Those suggestions make perfect sense. Would you want to engage a guy who has an AK if you have single shot 410? Didn't think so. I don't want to get shot in the face by a .22 LR, but to argue that the .22 LR is just as effective as a 7.62x39 or 5.56x45 in a gunfight is asinine.

Of course not, but again we are not taking into account the spirit of the OP. In a SHTF situation I am not going to be armed with a single shot 410. The question is how would you cost effectively arm your crew. Having an arsenal of AK's and Beretta Storms sitting around doesnt seem to meet that criteria.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    This thread if full of fail and Mosin is a troll I found his real picture.

images

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm an AR guy, but it's not an exclusive relationship. Pretty much any weapon has enjoyable aspects. Sometimes instead of the AR I'll break out the SKS, or one of my others. Once you find a weapon that works for YOU, and that YOU enjoy shooting, you'll practice with it, you'll enjoy it, and you'll use it well; whether it's an AR, AK, SKS, Mosin, Mauser, High Point, or something else entirely - find what works for you, have fun, and you'll ultimately be more effective than you would be with someone else's idea of a "better" weapon. :ar15: :draw: :shoot: :smileak: :biggun: :starwars:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Improvised single shot shotguns is what I plan on doing. Simple, effective enough, better than nothning, and best of all, no one person would be able to overpower me.

slide16.jpg

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Of course not, but again we are not taking into account the spirit of the OP. In a SHTF situation I am not going to be armed with a single shot 410. The question is how would you cost effectively arm your crew. Having an arsenal of AK's and Beretta Storms sitting around doesnt seem to meet that criteria.

Well, a single shot 410, or Mosin is certainly better than not having defensive firearms. The OP mentioned poorly trained friends, I can't envision them being of hardly any use with a single shot 410 or Mosin. Any semi-auto rifle is better in that scenario. A pump action Maverick 12 gauge or a hi point 995 carbine are also cheap and much better options as well. Hell, I'd give them a cheap pistol before either a Mosin or a single shot 410. Why? Because they're simple to operate and can provide a higher rate of fire. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on what "effectively" armed means.

Top Bottom