12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Cost of rifle alone = Mosin

My personal prefered choices would be:
    AK 47 / AK74
    SKS
    12 ga. shotgun
    HiPoint carbine (not the best capacity, but easy to operate)
    handguns

I have an AK, I have an AR, I also have a Mosin. I love them all, but the Mosin is what it is. I love the Mosin Nagant and enjoy shooting it, but its ability to be used defensivly would be limited to the skills of the operator IMO, which can be said of any weapon really. I guess what I am trying to say is that for an inexperienced shooter in a defensive situation, he or she will need more rounds to send at the target than an experienced shooter, which is where I could see the Mosin coming up short. An inexperienced shooter with a bolt action rifle with a 5 round capacity and not the quickest reload, probably will not last long in a firefight. :twocents:

In reality though I have a specific group of close friends that are already prepared that I will be working with. To everyone else that thinks I am the guy to go to, sorry bout your luck. Should have been prepping yourself and not laughing and calling me paranoid! ;)

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I don't hate the AR. I just like the Mosin. It seems that once I become as proficient with the AR as I am with the Mosin then I will see the Mosin in a different light. Is this correct?

You may. I've seen shooters whose preferences evolve over time, as they're exposed to and gain proficiency with a wider variety of platforms. Others stay with their "first love," so to speak. My point was merely that I'm not going to trash anyone's weapon of choice, just because it's different from mine.

"Any gun will do, if YOU will do," as the saying goes. :)

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I don't hate the AR. I just like the Mosin. It seems that once I become as proficient with the AR as I am with the Mosin then I will see the Mosin in a different light. Is this correct?

Have you ever shot an AR? I think your "weapon of choice" would change after running a AR and a Mosin Nagant 91/30 back to back in timed drills where multiple targets must be engaged. If you have a basic understanding of marksmanship and how to operate a rifle, it will take you one drill and possibly less than 5 min of operating an AR to become more efficient with an AR than a Mosin. You could even substitute AK in place of AR, and nothing I've written changes.

A bolt action rifle will never match the rate of fire of a semi-auto rifle, even with somebody who is very fast at working a bolt, in the end its nothing more than wasted motion. A Mosin shooter will most likely have to use his shooting hand to work the bolt and perform reloads if he wants to keep the rifle pointed downrage. an AR shooter doesn't worry about working a bolt, can fire as fast as the trigger can be pulled, and can perform magazine changes with his offhand, while keeping the weapon pointed downrange.

Additionally, the recoil of the Mosin sucks. You've probably heard gunshop BS from douchebags about a "man's rifle should kick hard, nancy boys like rifles that don't kick." or "dis der oughta put some hair on yer chest." A rifle with the recoil of a Mosin only makes it harder to reacquire the target after firing a shot and causes many shooters to anticipate shots, hence less efficient. If you would like an example of that, shoot an SVT40, it fires the exact same 7.62x54r cartridge as the Mosin, but does so in a much more manageable and efficient way.

The last problem of the Mosin that I'm going to mention, other than its weight and excessive length is that corrosive 7.62x54r ammunition.

Don't take anything I've written in this thread personal. I think it's awesome that you're into firearms at a young age. I wish there were tens of millions of kids your age that held your views regarding firearms. Only strengthens the 2nd Amendment.

Last edited:

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Don't take anything I've written in this thread personal. I think it's awesome that you're into firearms at a young age. I wish there were tens of millions of kids your age that held your views regarding firearms. Only strengthens the 2nd Amendment.

Amen, well said.:patriot:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Have you ever shot an AR? I think your "weapon of choice" would change after running a AR and a Mosin Nagant 91/30 back to back in timed drills where multiple targets must be engaged. If you have a basic understanding of marksmanship and how to operate a rifle, it will take you one drill and possibly less than 5 min of operating an AR to become more efficient with an AR than a Mosin. You could even substitute AK in place of AR, and nothing I've written changes.

A bolt action rifle will never match the rate of fire of a semi-auto rifle, even with somebody who is very fast at working a bolt, in the end its nothing more than wasted motion. A Mosin shooter will most likely have to use his shooting hand to work the bolt and perform reloads if he wants to keep the rifle pointed downrage. an AR shooter doesn't worry about working a bolt, can fire as fast as the trigger can be pulled, and can perform magazine changes with his offhand, while keeping the weapon pointed downrange.

Additionally, the recoil of the Mosin sucks. You've probably heard gunshop BS from douchebags about a "man's rifle should kick hard, nancy boys like rifles that don't kick." or "dis der oughta put some hair on yer chest." A rifle with the recoil of a Mosin only makes it harder to reacquire the target after firing a shot and causes many shooters to anticipate shots, hence less efficient. If you would like an example of that, shoot an SVT40, it fires the exact same 7.62x54r cartridge as the Mosin, but does so in a much more manageable and efficient way.

The last problem of the Mosin that I'm going to mention, other than its weight and excessive length is that corrosive 7.62x54r ammunition.

I have shot ARs as previously mentioned I've built one. I agree with you. But the Mosin doesn't kick that bad. I love the Mosin because it wsd the 1st gun I ever bought, but you've also made the point that it's tactically retarded which I agree with also. It will be in the car as a SHTF gun but only for hunting. The AR with be the gun I take if there is no car.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I have shot ARs as previously mentioned I've built one. I agree with you. But the Mosin doesn't kick that bad. I love the Mosin because it wsd the 1st gun I ever bought, but you've also made the point that it's tactically retarded which I agree with also. It will be in the car as a SHTF gun but only for hunting. The AR with be the gun I take if there is no car.

I see light at the end of the tunnel here. Recoil is relative. Compared to the AR, the Mosin does kick that bad. I can run usually run a modified (rifle) el prez drill (youtube it if you dont know what it i) in about 7 seconds with 100% hit ratio with my AR. That is multiple targets with a reload. A Mosin couldnt even run the drill without 2 reloads. Its only 12 ****ing rounds. That is **** poor. Also the recoil mixed with working the bolt would absolutely destroy your times from shot to shot and transitioning between targets.

Since you agree it is tactically retarded, we are making headway. Remember, the car will run out of gas eventually and you will have to decide what you want to take with you. Weight becomes a huge issue. The .223/5.56 is plenty adequate for a hunting round in MOST parts of the country.

Like my rant/post said. Mosins are cool. Buy them. Shoot the **** out of them. Run them hard. When push comes to shove, really evaluate what you want in a defensive/offensive rifle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bravo, success.
    My first gun was a .22 short Stevens pump action breach block that my nephew still uses to hunt small woodland creatures to this day. It was 40 years old when my dad gave it to me and I was 12 (1962) but I still love that gun. I could never light a match with it but I hit many of them while trying. I understand the love involved.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I say if a bunch of "friends" are going to run to your house when SHTF with nothening but their hat in their hand, and you feel the need to start a bandit gang or whatever, just shove an improvised single shot 12 ga. in their hands and let them scavanage for something better. I mean, most of us banding together will basically be a bandit crew anyway. O, I'm sorry, a militia I mean.:rolleyes:

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I do take hugs. Only if you agree to hug with shirts off after rolling in vegetable oil...I mean..uhhh...hugging is for girls.

Man hugs are great.

Mandatory 6 inches space between faces
    Touch chests for approximately 1.5-2 seconds
    Either 1 good open handed thump on the back, or 2 mild thumps.

Walk away like it didn't happen.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Man hugs are great.

Mandatory 6 inches space between faces
    Touch chests for approximately 1.5-2 seconds
    Either 1 good open handed thump on the back, or 2 mild thumps.

Walk away like it didn't happen.

Sounds painful.:D

But thats how we guy's like it!:rockwoot:

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Socomike is a girl?:dunno:

Nope. Im definitely all man. Still like slippery/sticky man hugs. Doesnt everybody like one now and again? No homo. The Army has ruined me. I cant have a regular conversation without saying something that is completely inappropriate in public or something completely homosexual. The worst part is most people just play along and create a awkward situation that we both have to nervously laugh off.

In all seriousness, the above described man hug is exactly how it should happen. With emphasis on the walk away like it didnt happen part. It should also be said that while hugging, eye contact only creates tension.

Last edited:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Nope. Im definitely all man. Still like slippery/sticky man hugs. Doesnt everybody like one now and again? No homo. The Army has ruined me. I cant have a regular conversation without saying something that is completely inappropriate in public or something completely homosexual. The worst part is most people just play along and create a awkward situation that we both have to nervously laugh off.

In all seriousness, the above described man hug is exactly how it should happen. With emphasis on the walk away like it didnt happen part. It should also be said that while hugging, eye contact only creates tension.

I hear ya on the military ruining ya. Since I was in the navy, I can queer anyone out. I've even been hit on by some gay's, too. Guess they like more cushon for the pushin, like my gf.:):

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I hear ya on the military ruining ya. Since I was in the navy, I can queer anyone out. I've even been hit on by some gay's, too. Guess they like more cushon for the pushin, like my gf.:):

We should...hang out? :whip: My employer does not permit me to build cushion for the pushin.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom