• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yeah its a damn shame. Marion county could be awesome. Instead it has phases of good but then the democrats just wipe it all away when they get control. I think ballard sucked too but not as bad as hogsett

Yeah but din't Ballard bring in Frank Straub as public safety director? Can you imagine this nonsense with Straub leading the response?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Q: Can I be outside on my own property during curfew hours, such as on my porch or in my yard?

A: Yes, but if a police officer or other public safety officer asks you to go inside, you must do so.

https://www.startribune.com/what-yo...-extended-twin-cities-curfew-order/570906282/

And the statutory basis for that is... what, exactly? Do they have a warrant even to be on my property to enforce such a command?

And further, shooting projectiles at people who are lawfully present on my property? That's a damn good (or bad/unfortunate) way to find other, more lethal projectiles incoming in response - and justifiably so.

Order people off the street or out of public spaces? Fine. But that authority ends at the private property line.

ETA:

Those people who are actually peaceably assembling and protesting? They're protesting against exactly this sort of abuse of power by police.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Cops pepper sprayed their own senator, didn't realize it

j5c2bkftxb251.png

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I hope nobody takes this post to mean that IÂ’m glad this all is happening, but I canÂ’t help but think there is a yuge opportunity for Trump to score some big time points with the black community. Obviously there is a percentage of people that will never waver in their thinking because orange man bad, but I gotta believe that if the administration was able to come up with some common ground, obviously not with the people who just want a race war, but with the people who just want some better way of preventing or prosecuting police brutality, that it would score some huge wins in November.

That percentage is probably in the neighborhood of 95%. Not gonna happen. Where you're going astray, is you think black voters will vote for someone based strictly on tangible, practical benefits instead of symbolic themes. But that is simply not the observed behavior, based on Democratic internal polling. Criminal Justice Reform was a much-desired black voter priority. Mainstream Republicans and "Civil Rights Democrats" would have argued about criminal justice reform for another 20 years. Trump delivered it. But the target demographic will not vote for him, because...(and this is key)...they think he is liked, by people they don't like.

If Democrats run the table on minorities, they only need 39% of the white vote in order to win (that's the internal statistic the DP believes, from their own pollsters). I've heard all kinds of people say, "Trump should focus on minorities, if he turns even a small percentage of them he can't lose." But the actual truth here is almost the exact opposite. (Of course the two goals are not mutually exclusive; you should try at least on some level to appeal to all voters). In pure crass computational terms, if he were putting all his eggs in one basket, he'd be better to write-off the entire "black vote," and just focus on white people. More of them are actually persuadable. Trump prevented Dems from getting their 39% of the white vote in 2016, and he won.

The election comes down to White People. Black voters are totally irrelevant to both parties. And both parties know it. Once a particular demographic is a "known quantity," it will be ignored. Democrats are much, much more interested in figuring out how to win educated, progressive white people. If black voters want Democrats to deliver their priorities, their best strategy would be to somehow convince educated white liberals to want the exact same things they do. Because that's the demographic Democrats care about.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I’ve had enough of this!

I just received the following email from Lyft, with the title “A call to action for each of us”.

I’ve had enough of this. I haven’t spent a dime at Papa John’s since the third or fourth sniveling, pandering email about how much better they have to do since John Schnatter was railroaded out of the company he founded. If there was any way that I could boycott these **********s and never spend another dime with them again, I’d do it. Why? Because this letter doesn’t include ONE SINGLE WORD about stopping the lawlessness that’s tearing our country apart, which has become a much bigger problem than the handful of incidents that perpetuate it. If the kind of police brutality which resulted in the death of George Floyd is that widespread of a problem, we’d be seeing many, many more examples of it. Camera phones are everywhere now. The fact that the public can record and distribute this kind of video so easily will lead to a solution on its own, along with the more widespread implementation of body cams.

We want to take a moment to speak candidly about the tragedy that is enveloping our country right now. To our Black community members, we recognize your pain and feelings of fatigue over the injustices you face every day. The color of your skin should not impact how you are treated.

Acts of injustice against Black Americans — including George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Christian Cooper, and countless others — have created an inflection point. This is a call to action for each and every one of us to do better, to speak up, and to be part of the solution.

Systemic racism is deeply rooted in our society, and it's important that Lyft supports organizations that fight it. As part of our continued commitment to communities of color through LyftUp, our transportation access initiative, we're providing $500,000 in ride credit to national civil rights organizations who have been working to facilitate essential transportation and equitable access during the recent crises (National Urban League, NAACP, National Action Network, Black Women's Roundtable and National Bail Fund Network). In Minneapolis specifically, we will be donating LyftUp ride credit to Lake Street Council to facilitate rides to volunteers assisting with rebuilding efforts.

We care deeply about your safety, and the safety of drivers, and want to make sure we're not putting anyone in harm's way. If you plan to ride, please check your local news before you head out.

We are committed to being a part of the solution. Thank you for being a part of our community.

John & Logan
    Lyft co-founders

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom