• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    My wife delivered a PUDC to our backdoor neighbor a few minutes ago. He's a minister.

His wife was outside. Said she'd been outside all day because the minister was so angry about Floyd's death.

So, I figure when a republican Protestant minister and an agnostic democrat agree and get angry over the same death it's takes us out of "keyboard warrior" status.

Maybe he’s also a keyboard warrior? :):

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    No. Not really. Seeing what happened on that video sure does stir some emotions. What those officers did was wrong. And, Idunno. I've never heard of 4 cops handling a non-combative white guy suspected of passing a bad $20 like that. So I suspect they had some preconceived notions about him that were at least a little racist. That doesn't make the whole system corrupt. I have seen many, many police officers speak out about this and not one has tried to justify this or make any excuses. They're all saying this was wrong. THAT'S NOT INSTITUTIONAL RACISM!

It's not a systemic problem. It's an individual problem in an occupation that has 800000 sworn full time police officers and every day most of them do it right. Every now and again some of the real ****heads wearing badges that they shouldn't have, that do it wrong, it goes viral, and then people have these knee jerk reactions where they're ready to condemn all of the other 800K. No. Kaepernick is as full of **** as a ***** struck privileged ass football player could possibly be.

I'm not gonna deal with that today. The systemic problem is the appropriate conduct of anyone in power over those in their direct control and, more broadly, those who have less power. It isn't a matter of color. It's the way in which power is used and abused.

But, I'm not going any farther on this. I'm gonna go watch tv.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah....I dunno. I'm too upset right now to make a rational statement about this.

The picture that keeps coming to me is a dog-catcher doing the same thing to a large dog with a muzzle on. Unfortunately, I think a lot more people would be furious if it was a Golden Retriever.

So....I'm just going to cool my jets for awhile on this. I can't say what I mean without getting angry.

Your post is a good one, however.

I get it. I'm pissed too. This kind of thing shouldn't happen. But let's keep the blame where it belongs. It doesn't belong on cops. It belongs on the 4 officers who were involved, but mostly on the officer who held the guy down by a knee.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I get it. I'm pissed too. This kind of thing shouldn't happen. But let's keep the blame where it belongs. It doesn't belong on cops. It belongs on the 4 officers who were involved, but mostly on the officer who held the guy down by a knee.

Oh. My blame is direct. It has nothing to do with anyone other than the guys who killed this man.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not gonna deal with that today. The systemic problem is the appropriate conduct of anyone in power over those in their direct control and, more broadly, those who have less power. It isn't a matter of color. It's the way in which power is used and abused.

But, I'm not going any farther on this. I'm gonna go watch tv.

Fair enough. But it's not a systemic problem unless you're calling human behavior traits systemic. And arguably I suppose we could do that. Some people aren't suited well to having authority. Maybe departments could figure out ways to weed those people out in academy programs. I don't know.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My wife delivered a PUDC to our backdoor neighbor a few minutes ago. He's a minister.

His wife was outside. Said she'd been outside all day because the minister was so angry about Floyd's death.

So, I figure when a republican Protestant minister and an agnostic democrat agree and get angry over the same death it's takes us out of "keyboard warrior" status.

We should all be angry. It's the way in which we react to it that makes the difference. Riot and burn things down - you're doing it wrong. You've effectively shut down any means of communication. Take a knee? Cool, its nonviolent, but it's also shutting down the conversation.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Im a little different in this aspect. I blame the other 3 officers also. They could have done something to get the officer off of his neck. Just because they weren’t the ones on his neck doesn’t mean they are free from consequences.

If one nazi soldier is loading people into gas chambers, the other soldiers are just as guilty for doing nothing to stop it. This example isn’t exactly apples to apples, but the point remains.

Also, no, before it’s mentioned, I’m in no way shape or form comparing these officers to nazis. I’m strictly using the most obvious example of how watching your partner kill without doing anything is arguably just as wrong.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A protest at the Allen Co. courthouse has forced street closures in Fort Wayne.

https://www.wane.com/news/local-news/fort-wayne-police-dont-anticipate-violent-protests-in-city/
    If you want to peaceably assemble, both me and the first amendment to the constitution are good with that. When you start blocking traffic, that is a whole different matter.

although the number of rallies I’ve attended could probably be counted on your fingers, blocking traffic was never an issue. For that matter, blocking the sidewalk was never an issue. If a jogger or a cyclist came through, you would hear someone in their best military training instructor voice yelling, “Make a hole!!”

Then again, we never torched an AutoZone, looted a Target, burned down an Arby’s or affordable housing under construction.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Got your back as always brother.
    Do not let some of these all knowing keyboard gurus get you wrapped up it ain’t worth it. Burgers are on me.

I know man, it's not the Internet, it's me. I was already in a bad place and wallowing in a thread like this was probably not the right call on my part.

I just talked to a buddy of mine that I met through Indiucky. He's one of my favorite people. Retired cop, not from my department. He's been in three shootings over his career. Definitely a BTDT sort of guy and a very accomplished one. I feel really privileged to know him.

His perspective, from someone who started law enforcement in the early 1970's, was those cops screwed it up for everybody. It was inexcusable and manslaughter is appropriate if not perhaps under-charging depending on exactly how MN law reads. He remembered lawsuits over "hog tie deaths", the precursor to what we now call positional asphyxiation, in the 1980's. Like I said, this has been known about for decades.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know man, it's not the Internet, it's me. I was already in a bad place and wallowing in a thread like this was probably not the right call on my part.

I just talked to a buddy of mine that I met through Indiucky. He's one of my favorite people. Retired cop, not from my department. He's been in three shootings over his career. Definitely a BTDT sort of guy and a very accomplished one. I feel really privileged to know him.

His perspective, from someone who started law enforcement in the early 1970's, was those cops screwed it up for everybody. It was inexcusable and manslaughter is appropriate if not perhaps under-charging depending on exactly how MN law reads. He remembered lawsuits over "hog tie deaths", the precursor to what we now call positional asphyxiation, in the 1980's. Like I said, this has been known about for decades.
    That has been my positon from the beginning of this (and in other similar incidents). I hate to see the good guys get the black eye from what the bad guys do. Similarly, the rioters aren't doing "their side" any favors either.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

OK like we said yesterday....not pointing a finger at you sir.

Unless you really wanna get down in the dirt then heck yes. I got the 1st round and the burgers. Lets get it.....:):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom