• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    You know what's unfair to blacks? The failed policies of their elected officials. But until they wake up and stop voting for the failed policies then they are destined for more of the same.

Lots of people living off of those failures, so they will continue to vote them in.:spend::spend:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    You know what's unfair to blacks? The failed policies of their elected officials. But until they wake up and stop voting for the failed policies then they are destined for more of the same.

Very true! This self destructive behavior leads to self destruction.
    (Rep sent)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Then the desired outcome is that Blacks simply don’t vote. If hard for Black people to cross the aisle when members of the other party, citing the Founding Fathers, call slavery a “necessary evil.” If one can justify that, what can’t you justify?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Then the desired outcome is that Blacks simply don’t vote. If hard for Black people to cross the aisle when members of the other party, citing the Founding Fathers, call slavery a “necessary evil.” If one can justify that, what can’t you justify?

It's hard for me to comprehend someone taking offense to words over actions that actually affect your daily life.

Some tone deaf baby boomers making racially offensive comments isn't exactly a single party issue.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Now there is a false leap of anti-logic.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    “Members”? There was more than one ? Is it a party platform? I didn’t vote for that. If it’s something offensive or can’t be justified or even failed policy I’ll vote for something else.

We’re talking failed policy here. An ignorant comment made by an individual is not party policy.

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The Communists are getting more and more blatant. They want to substitute pure leftist revisionism.

wi0lGoX.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Well, maybe the logical conclusion IS that Blacks can't vote for anyone. I could find plenty of statements made by Democrats that could cause one to say the same thing. Just because someone says something that can be taken as offensive, 1) doesn't mean they intended it in the sense you took offense to, and 2) should not be taken as the collective opinion of all the members. But anyway, I don't think the way that Cotton's statements are being interpreted by especially people on the left is very accurate. Not that his own reasoning is a lot better. But it's different from how it's being portrayed, because the people who are portraying it have a completely different worldview.

From what I've researched about it, Cotton appears to have a very "Biblical" world view. I think I understand this view because I used to have it. Not WRT race specifically, but the role of prophecy. Cotton also said in trying to explain his remarks that the Holocaust was also a necessary evil because (paraphrasing) the Book of Revelations requires the Nation of Israel to exist for "the beast" to be destroyed at the 2nd coming. Of course that got him into more hot water, because rather than explaining it, people again interpreted it within their own worldview. To me his thinking was revealing of an exegesis and not an inherent anti-Semitic ethos. I imagine that offended many Jews. But his reasoning is a belief in prophesy, that if it weren't for Hitler and the Holocaust, "Israel" would still be scattered, and the end couldn't come, because the Nation of Israel wouldn't exist. Now, is he justifying Hitler? No. He's saying the events that must lead up to the 2nd coming could not be put in place if if that hadn't happened. He's saying it was God's will to bring about the end. It was a fulfilling of prophecy.

I suspect that's what he intended with his remarks about Slavery "a necessary evil". I don't think he's justifying slavery. I think he's saying that it was a "necessary evil" in that its implementation brought about its end. I think that's as silly as saying the Holocaust was necessary as a means to an end. This is why religious thinking doesn't mix well with politics. There are too many ways to interpret things, especially Revelation. It's rationally absurd to have such utter confidence that your way is the only true way and that you can derive all the necessary inferences to interpret human history and predict future history. This is a problem that Christianity needs to resolve.

Cotton's words are hurtful to people who don't see the world the same way he does. I don't think he meant it to be hurtful. I don't think he thinks Slavery was a good thing or justifiable. I think he thinks it was God's way of getting rid of it. Many Christians, especially Evangelicals, and especially more those who put an emphasis on prophecy, believe EVERYTHING is part of God's plan, even the bad stuff, and that sometimes God has to bring about the bad stuff to get to the good stuff. None of the people who you hear claiming that Cotton's words are justifying slavery have a primary world view like he does. Social Justice is their religion. They see the world in that perspective.

Of course he's right about the 1619 project. It is mostly revisionist history from a very narrow point of view. It's fair to say that a lot of history is written that way. I wouldn't be opposed to it being taught in schools as long as it were taught as just one alternate viewpoint of history. History classes should teach all of the facts and the extent to which the 1619 projects bring out some facts that contribute to the overall truth of history, that just makes the history taught more accurate. So that means presenting this view too. But as the 1619 project has been presented to society at large now as the authoritative history, I'm quite certain that it would be presented the same way in schools. If it's going to be taught as the authoritative narrative of US history, it would be better to stay out of schools altogether, because taken as a whole it distorts US History being told from a very unique perspective.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Hmmmm...

Wonder why they chose to meet in "suburban Evanston" and not Garfield Park or Englewood.:dunno:

I'm guessing that understanding HISTORY led them to that decision.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Minneapolis police are so devastated, they are now advising crime victims on how to cooperate and give in to their attackers.

Minneapolis police tell residents to obey criminals and ‘be prepared’ to be robbed

Step 1. be a victim.

Step 2. be a good witness while you are being a victim. We'll do nothing with this information but take a report.

Step 3. if any violent scumbags are ACTUALLY apprehended as a result, rest assured they will be released within 24 hours.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-01-at-3.02.25-PM-696x926.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom