fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Eheim 2217 is amazing, but don't ever store a canister filter on its side while wet, ever.

I hear the 2217 doesn't do so hot in the mechanical filter dept, but I have no experience one way or the other. The eheim 2075 pro 3 looks nice, I really want a fluval fx5 though. *drool*

I have friends that are hard-core into racing... I could drop an engine off and pick it up a week later and it'd be fully rebuilt and ready to handle 20 PSI of boost to boot... My friends are all crazy into turbo'ing EVERYTHING.

Yea, expensive preposition. Sounds like fun though!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ok guys, sold my engine tonight and bought a eheim quick vac pro....I was on the fence after reading good and bad reviews, so I took a chance. It works great for me, I was able to clean all the poop out in less then 5 mins. This is a lifesaver from having to use the gravel vac to keep the tank tidy, so having this really did help as I don't have to drag out my 2 bucket setup to just clean up the poop.

Having said that, I am using pool filter sand so the vac doesn't pick up too much of my sand and I'm not really doing a deep substrate clean, just more of a surface skim to pick up the turds.

While at the LFS, I was thinking how would one be able to add an overflow that doesn't look awfully cheesy and that won't require drilling a hole into the tank....any thoughts?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok guys, sold my engine tonight and bought a eheim quick vac pro....I was on the fence after reading good and bad reviews, so I took a chance. It works great for me, I was able to clean all the poop out in less then 5 mins. This is a lifesaver from having to use the gravel vac to keep the tank tidy, so having this really did help as I don't have to drag out my 2 bucket setup to just clean up the poop.

Having said that, I am using pool filter sand so the vac doesn't pick up too much of my sand and I'm not really doing a deep substrate clean, just more of a surface skim to pick up the turds.

While at the LFS, I was thinking how would one be able to add an overflow that doesn't look awfully cheesy and that won't require drilling a hole into the tank....any thoughts?

For a deep substrate mixing, could look for some MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails), they hide in the substrate all day, moving through it and stirring it up, and only come out at night. I'm considering some of them for my cichlid tank to do the same thing. I've got an Aqueon water changer that I use to get down into the substrate and suck out waste when I do my weekly water change, but it does suck up some sand occasionally...

Drs Foster and Smith ( Fish Supplies: Fish Tank & Fish Care | DrsFosterSmith.com ) has hang-on overflows that could be hung on the back and pretty much out of sight.

I'm supposed to be getting a free 75 gallon this weekend that needs re-sealed, and I'm considering learned how to drill glass and plumb it for overflow, that way I can have something ready if I jump to salt down the road, since sumps work great for fresh too...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    One of them, just has the sponge, and the media bag full of Matrix, the other one has the sponge, small bag of Purigen (500mL I think), and bag of Matrix.

Did you ever post up pictures of your tanks on here? Know anybody else getting rid of a large tank?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    For a deep substrate mixing, could look for some MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails), they hide in the substrate all day, moving through it and stirring it up, and only come out at night. I'm considering some of them for my cichlid tank to do the same thing. I've got an Aqueon water changer that I use to get down into the substrate and suck out waste when I do my weekly water change, but it does suck up some sand occasionally...

Drs Foster and Smith ( Fish Supplies: Fish Tank & Fish Care | DrsFosterSmith.com ) has hang-on overflows that could be hung on the back and pretty much out of sight.

I'm supposed to be getting a free 75 gallon this weekend that needs re-sealed, and I'm considering learned how to drill glass and plumb it for overflow, that way I can have something ready if I jump to salt down the road, since sumps work great for fresh too...

MTS? does it live in deep sand(2-3")? What brand overhang is good? I'm new to this stuff...

totally jealous of your score on a 75 gal...I like the length of my 55 gal, but I wish it was deeper(width).

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    MTS? does it live in deep sand(2-3")? What brand overhang is good? I'm new to this stuff...

totally jealous of your score on a 75 gal...I like the length of my 55 gal, but I wish it was deeper(width).

No idea on hanging overflow, not used one, I just know they're out there. I think MTS will live in pretty much any depth sand...

Never did post tank pics up here, but I'll add links to my Flickr sets...

My Fish - a set on Flickr fish

Aquarium - a set on Flickr aquarium build

And some PS edited fish photos from my deviantART page...

My Fish by DarkRose1979 on deviantART

I've never had any luck so far one getting a GOOD full tank shot, crappy camera or cell phone cameras do not do well with long shots with lots of movement in them without a tripod, lol.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    No idea on hanging overflow, not used one, I just know they're out there. I think MTS will live in pretty much any depth sand...

Never did post tank pics up here, but I'll add links to my Flickr sets...

My Fish - a set on Flickr fish

Aquarium - a set on Flickr aquarium build

And some PS edited fish photos from my deviantART page...

My Fish by DarkRose1979 on deviantART

I've never had any luck so far one getting a GOOD full tank shot, crappy camera or cell phone cameras do not do well with long shots with lots of movement in them without a tripod, lol.

Looks good! Question....next set of fish, would you get:

1) 6 lemon jakes,
    2) 6 red top lawanda, or
    3) 6 german reds

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Looks good! Question....next set of fish, would you get:

1) 6 lemon jakes,
    2) 6 red top lawanda, or
    3) 6 german reds

I'm partial to German Reds, but that's just me. I've got a big blue male peacock that was sold to me as a "german red or eureka red", but appears to be a Regal Blue instead... so bummed.

I'm wanting a Sulfurhead (Aulonocara maylandi), or Afra Jalo Reef (Cynotilapia afra (Jalo Reef) )

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm partial to German Reds, but that's just me. I've got a big blue male peacock that was sold to me as a "german red or eureka red", but appears to be a Regal Blue instead... so bummed.

I'm wanting a Sulfurhead (Aulonocara maylandi), or Afra Jalo Reef (Cynotilapia afra (Jalo Reef) )

Both of those are good looking fish, on the smaller size of course...which raises a question. Won't the smaller fish get more harassment for being smaller? I know my jacobfreibergi can get up to 7", so twice the size of the Afra Jalo Reef. I still need to do some creek searching for some bigger rocks, but wife has the jeep and I have all the kids.

I'm revisiting the plywood tank idea, this youtube guy "urjoey" built one for less then $400, minus 3D background, filter, subtrate, sump, etc. etc.

....thoughts?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I don't know what looked worse....before:

IMG_20131202_020906_062_zps9e1963bc.jpg

...or after:

IMG_20131220_170637_285_zpsi0znqinr.jpg

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Feed them a lot less and a little more often perhaps. I think the only thing that causes that is if they're eating far too much or far too often [or a combination of both]. I'm no expert - just what I remember from way back when I actually had a tank.

Top Bottom