fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I'm considering returning the Zoo Med Tropic Sun 5500K lights to petco, I do not feel like they are bringing out the colors in my cichlids as I think they should. What do you guys suggest for bring out blue, yellow, orange, and red?

Well for bringing out the colors of fish, closer to the 10k spectrum is better, a cleaner, whiter light. For plants you'd do something in the 5-6.5k range.

However, with Lake Malawi cichlids, no plants are needed. Their natural habitat is rocky lake bottom, no plants.

From an article on cichlid-forum

"Now, let's discuss the tank's decoration. Lake Malawi, being a rift lake, is naturally rocky both along its shoreline and below the water descending to the depths. This however, is not universal for the entire lake. There are many areas that have sandy beaches and sand below the waterline in addition to intermediate habitats that have a mix of both large rocks and sand. Typically, the lake has very little plants and those that do occur tend to be near river mouths and in swampy areas. In general though, the theme is rock and sand."

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you're sticking with an all male tank, you don't want multiples of the same species, that can lead to "lookalike aggression", eventually one male will be dominant, and he'll be the nice colored up one, and bully the rest, and they'll color down and be dull and drab.

If you're doing a male and female tank, you don't want to mix most species, because a lot of the African cichlids can interbreed, giving you hybrids, that aren't worth anything to sell (and if you can't sell them, you'll either have to flush them, or get bigger and bigger tanks).

Then how are some people able to keep tank of cichlids with a few of them colored up instead of just one? Doesn't overstocking help with this? I'm leaning towards an all male tank, then upgrade tanks for them and give this 55 gal to a male/female pair.

Well for bringing out the colors of fish, closer to the 10k spectrum is better, a cleaner, whiter light. For plants you'd do something in the 5-6.5k range.

However, with Lake Malawi cichlids, no plants are needed. Their natural habitat is rocky lake bottom, no plants.

From an article on cichlid-forum

"Now, let's discuss the tank's decoration. Lake Malawi, being a rift lake, is naturally rocky both along its shoreline and below the water descending to the depths. This however, is not universal for the entire lake. There are many areas that have sandy beaches and sand below the waterline in addition to intermediate habitats that have a mix of both large rocks and sand. Typically, the lake has very little plants and those that do occur tend to be near river mouths and in swampy areas. In general though, the theme is rock and sand."

Makes sense....just gotta find that right rock/rocks to bring it all together.

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ok...exchanged the 5500K bulbs and couldn't decide on the reef sun or the ocean sun, so I got one of each to bring home. Now, I still can't make up my mind. One is a bit purple, the other is a blueish white. Gah!

Reef Sun 50/50:

adinfo_reefsun.jpg

Ocean Sun:

adinfo_oceansun.jpg

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok...looking at a 125 gal fish tank in Indy, guy wants $200 but will go down to $150....thoughts?

125gal_zps1cce5b95.jpg

125 gallon with stand for $150? If it holds water, around here that's a deal.
    If you search Craigslist, you'll find most sellers are VERY proud of their stuff in this area. It's not a fishkeeping "hotspot" like SoCal or Florida, where it seems good deals are to be had all the time...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok...exchanged the 5500K bulbs and couldn't decide on the reef sun or the ocean sun, so I got one of each to bring home. Now, I still can't make up my mind. One is a bit purple, the other is a blueish white. Gah!

Reef Sun 50/50:

adinfo_reefsun.jpg

Ocean Sun:

adinfo_oceansun.jpg

i'm not big on reading the spectrums, as I don't know which parts are more important for "visual" appeal, vs what plants need.

Here's what I'm going to be running on my 40 breeder I'm setting up. Good price, and from what I can tell, VERY well made. I've got mine, the tank just isn't complete yet. Nice bright light, and a good spectrum for plants and fish, with good PAR ratings at the depth I need (PAR is a better rating for amount of light than the old watts per gallon, specially with the multiple options such as T8, T5NO, T5HO, and LEDs)

Amazon.com: Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight, 36-Inch: Pet Supplies

For a 55 or 75 you'd need 48", and for that 125 you'd probably have to stagger two or three...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    125 gallon with stand for $150? If it holds water, around here that's a deal.
    If you search Craigslist, you'll find most sellers are VERY proud of their stuff in this area. It's not a fishkeeping "hotspot" like SoCal or Florida, where it seems good deals are to be had all the time...

That is what I keep trying to explain to my wife, she rather I buy more fishes instead.

i'm not big on reading the spectrums, as I don't know which parts are more important for "visual" appeal, vs what plants need.

Here's what I'm going to be running on my 40 breeder I'm setting up. Good price, and from what I can tell, VERY well made. I've got mine, the tank just isn't complete yet. Nice bright light, and a good spectrum for plants and fish, with good PAR ratings at the depth I need (PAR is a better rating for amount of light than the old watts per gallon, specially with the multiple options such as T8, T5NO, T5HO, and LEDs)

Amazon.com: Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight, 36-Inch: Pet Supplies

For a 55 or 75 you'd need 48", and for that 125 you'd probably have to stagger two or three...

So I'd need 3 of those 24" units for this new tank?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    That is what I keep trying to explain to my wife, she rather I buy more fishes instead.

So I'd need 3 of those 24" units for this new tank?

No, I'd guess two or three of the 48" units, if the 125 gallon is 6' long, because I don't believe they make a 72" unit. If you want a planted tank, you might need as many as 4 units. Looks like a standard 125 gallon is 21" high, and from the PAR charts I've seen, the 48" fixture appears to give you over 40 PAR at that depth (only have test results from the 24", but can be assumed out). That will let you grow pretty much anything, but to get full coverage with 1 fixture, you'd have to suspend it above the tank, so two fixtures staggered would give you full coverage and tons of light...

Actually, thinking about it, 2 of the 24" units suspended (so the light will cover the middle also) or two of the 36" units sitting on top should cover it... too much light and you'll need a CO² setup just to keep rampant algae growth under control... **

There's WORLDS of info out there to research, depending on how deep you want to get into it.

vpb8g2.jpg

Edit: The RAY II-DS is about the same, and it has a better light range for freshwater and plants. Could find an image for it.

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    55 gal tank:

IMG_20140105_244247_643_zpseapnvga6.jpg

125 gal tank:

IMG_20140105_244310_474_zpsdymfayex.jpg

Trying to grasp what you are talking about...seems to me that you'd get some funky shadows with the two bracing if you setup a long light. Here's better view of the bracing...

125gal_zps1cce5b95.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    between tank and stand....I've seen several threads on various forums talking about it.
    It's not needed on glass tanks with frames. The tank is designed to sit on the frame. It's usually used to help insulate the bottom, and it is used under acrylic tanks for a soft, level surface to distribute weight on the acrylic.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    It's not needed on glass tanks with frames. The tank is designed to sit on the frame. It's usually used to help insulate the bottom, and it is used under acrylic tanks for a soft, level surface to distribute weight on the acrylic.

Ok...makes sense. I'm thinking about getting 4 gallons of vinegar and pour it in the tank and fill the take up to get rid of the hard water stains.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Ok...makes sense. I'm thinking about getting 4 gallons of vinegar and pour it in the tank and fill the take up to get rid of the hard water stains.
    Have you tried windex yet? It should do the trick with just a couple applications unless it's really thick.

Top Bottom