fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Where are my fish people? Sometime after the first, I'm going to inland aquatics and either getting 1 jacobfreibergi and 6 red top lawwandas or 1 jacobfreibergi, 3 german reds, and 3 red top lawandas....

My filter took a crap again...the propeller assembly came apart and drained most of the water from the filter. Not sure how long its been like that, but the filter medium is slightly damp...I hope my beneficial bacteria didn't die off.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Where are my fish people? Sometime after the first, I'm going to inland aquatics and either getting 1 jacobfreibergi and 6 red top lawwandas or 1 jacobfreibergi, 3 german reds, and 3 red top lawandas....

My filter took a crap again...the propeller assembly came apart and drained most of the water from the filter. Not sure how long its been like that, but the filter medium is slightly damp...I hope my beneficial bacteria didn't die off.
    Sorry, I was scratching my gills :D you need to buy yourself a cheap Walmart filter to tide you over until you get your canister, I've had a tetra one on my 30 for 4 years and it's never skipped a beat! You probably had some bacteria die off, but probably not enough to do any harm.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Sorry, I was scratching my gills :D you need to buy yourself a cheap Walmart filter to tide you over until you get your canister, I've had a tetra one on my 30 for 4 years and it's never skipped a beat! You probably had some bacteria die off, but probably not enough to do any harm.

walmart filter or cheap petco filter? I'm fixing up the assembly on the filter I have now...again.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Whatever is cheaper, it's probably all the same brand, you just need something reliable to keep things running until you get a good canister.

I can get a Aqueon QuietFlow Aquarium Power Filters for a 90 gal tank for $35 at petco...this filter decent?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I can get a Aqueon QuietFlow Aquarium Power Filters for a 90 gal tank for $35 at petco...this filter decent?
    I would think so, aqueon stuff is decent. And with that size even if it's performing a little under specs you'll still be plenty good! Sounds like a good price to!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would think so, aqueon stuff is decent. And with that size even if it's performing a little under specs you'll still be plenty good! Sounds like a good price to!

I actually like the aquaclear filters and how the filter medium are laid. I may get that aquaron as insurance anyways.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I actually like the aquaclear filters and how the filter medium are laid. I may get that aquaron as insurance anyways.
    It won't hurt to have a back up, it's going to die sometime, and it's going to happen at the most inconvenient time for you to!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    It won't hurt to have a back up, it's going to die sometime, and it's going to happen at the most inconvenient time for you to!

I hear you there...so....

1) One jacobfreibergi and six red top lawwandas, or...

2) One jacobfreibergi, three german reds, and three red top lawandas

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

Oh hell man, I don't know my lawandaa from my German reds or my red top lawandas from my jacobfreibergi! The African stuff is all foreign to me... No pun intended...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Oh hell man, I don't know my lawandaa from my German reds or my red top lawandas from my jacobfreibergi! The African stuff is all foreign to me... No pun intended...

German Red:

pict03_70dc490651.jpg

Jacobfreibergi(I have 5 so far):

Aulonocara-jacobfreibergei-otterpoint.jpg

Red Top Lawanda:

lwanda_d43c0d6c87.jpg

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm considering returning the Zoo Med Tropic Sun 5500K lights to petco, I do not feel like they are bringing out the colors in my cichlids as I think they should. What do you guys suggest for bring out blue, yellow, orange, and red?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

If you're sticking with an all male tank, you don't want multiples of the same species, that can lead to "lookalike aggression", eventually one male will be dominant, and he'll be the nice colored up one, and bully the rest, and they'll color down and be dull and drab.

If you're doing a male and female tank, you don't want to mix most species, because a lot of the African cichlids can interbreed, giving you hybrids, that aren't worth anything to sell (and if you can't sell them, you'll either have to flush them, or get bigger and bigger tanks).

Top Bottom