• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm sorry - what's Puff Daddy done that's so bad? I kinda think you don't know what your talking about with him. And probably not Snoop, either.

I mean - that post kind of re-enforces what BLM is talking about. The music people listen to, or who it glorifies (Johnny Cash wasn't exactly a saint) shouldn't really matter when interacting with people.

The laundry list of past civil rights leaders kinda comes across as... wishing for a certain kind of "black person" that is acceptable to "white people."

What is BLM talking about that this reinforces? I haven't really heard them talking much about music the past several weeks. I also don't see why suggesting that the current situation could be made better by the ideas of past civil rights leaders should be interpreted as wishing for a certain kind of "black person" that is acceptable to "white people". Maybe there were some lines left on the page that I did not read between.

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    Tupac? Ghetto Rap? Puff Daddy?

How old are you?

...looks at profile...

35?! I suppose those guys were relevant way back when you were a teen.

That post reeks of gatekeeping.

Perhaps you'd like to hear my stories about my neighborhood being ruined by Swifties and Bieber fever.
    Or, how Fort Wayne is stagnant because of the REO Speedwagon concerts, and parade of cover bands to 70's rawk legends.
    Music is just music till you have a generation that venerates it and uses it as a set of morals. Life mimicing art mimicing life. Choppa used to be a funny helicopter meme and now it's some kind of machine gun. If the relevant gangsta rappers starting talking about F the FDA imma take B12 and smoke kale; guess what, you'd have some healthier gangsters.

Imma be the next puffy or ice cube or what ever is currently relevant is the mantra of the day. It's not just music in hood culture it's a way of life.

Gangsta rap is akin to the narco-ballads down south. It's glorifying violence, encouraging more and generally not making the situation any better.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcocorrido

Then you have that mumble rap stuff that sounds like a broken speak n spell.

"If you can loot in person, you can Vote in person" -Me

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Music is just music till you have a generation that venerates it and uses it as a set of morals. Life mimicing art mimicing life. Choppa used to be a funny helicopter meme and now it's some kind of machine gun. If the relevant gangsta rappers starting talking about F the FDA imma take B12 and smoke kale; guess what, you'd have some healthier gangsters.

Imma be the next puffy or ice cube or what ever is currently relevant is the mantra of the day. It's not just music in hood culture it's a way of life.

Gangsta rap is akin to the narco-ballads down south. It's glorifying violence, encouraging more and generally not making the situation any better.

Then you have that mumble rap stuff that sounds like a broken speak n spell.

I kinda think the belief that art media influencing behavior is oversold. Video games don't affect behavior as much as some people want to think, and neither does music, really. I think those things are more of a reflection of the current culture than a how-to manual.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What is BLM talking about that this reinforces?

That white people reject all things related to black people, except the parts that white people like. That's a great deal of the "systemic racism" that seems so hard for some white people to wrap their heads around.

Music shouldn't matter. Cultural icons shouldn't matter. You don't have to like these things or even like the people who like those things, but there's a perception that the people who say things like that post are putting all the black people who like that stuff into the same... category.

And, there's an element of hypocrisy if certain segments of white culture will, on the one hand, say black people should not hold up convicts and foul mouthed performers, while some of those same segments idolize slave owners and foul mouthed reality-TV-star-politicians.

I also don't see why suggesting that the current situation could be made better by the ideas of past civil rights leaders should be interpreted as wishing for a certain kind of "black person" that is acceptable to "white people". Maybe there were some lines left on the page that I did not read between.

Perhaps, but there is a very real perception that many white people think in terms of "good" and "bad" black people, with lists like that reinforcing that perception.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That white people reject all things related to black people, except the parts that white people like. That's a great deal of the "systemic racism" that seems so hard for some white people to wrap their heads around.

Music shouldn't matter. Cultural icons shouldn't matter. You don't have to like these things or even like the people who like those things, but there's a perception that the people who say things like that post are putting all the black people who like that stuff into the same... category.

And, there's an element of hypocrisy if certain segments of white culture will, on the one hand, say black people should not hold up convicts and foul mouthed performers, while some of those same segments idolize slave owners and foul mouthed reality-TV-star-politicians.

Perhaps, but there is a very real perception that many white people think in terms of "good" and "bad" black people, with lists like that reinforcing that perception.

There are good and bad people of all colors. Race has nothing to do with it. Something, something, content of their character... And if you recall, King wasn't well liked by a LOT of white people back then. But compared to what we have now (Sharpton, Jackson, et al), he was a good man by any measure. His cause, and his message has been forgotten or perverted by charlatans.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Then there's that Lil Nas X with Billy Ray Cyrus.

I imagine they play the main stage in Hell.

post-32842-ron-swanson-yep-gif-yes-yup-fu-qhg3-28gotd8.gif

Why do you hate music?
    Pretty sure that was purple.

You know I don't hate music - I just can't stand a lot of the narrow mindedness. That's the reason I block YouTube comments - so tired of reading, "this was when music was good" and "People need to listen to this instead of...".

No generation has a monopoly on good music.

I do love me some Los Tigres del Notre!

Last edited:

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US

You're right that they shouldn't matter, but the sad reality is that they do.

There was a time when I was rebellious and got into some Anti-Flag music and ended up parotting around Free Mumia Abu Jamal, wore my Charlie Shirt, railed against authority.

Then I wised up and realized who and what Mumia Abu Jamal is and represented.

We are talking about a culture/generation that has been raised/(brainwashed) to hate cops and authority, think all white people are out to get them and that Avowed Crip or Blood Gangsters like Puff Daddy or Snoop (Animal) speak for them and get them..

It's alot like a cult or brainwashing. I'm sitting here watching Waco and see similarities. Imagine if David Koresh was black and had little Waco's all over the place like 42nd And Post, Compton, Detroit, and all the other impoverished "hood areas"

I don't think it's anything another minority/majority or system of authority can fix. Broken windows, the drug war, mass incarcerations, stop and frisk were all failed attempts. We can't fix what's in people's hearts and minds from the outside.

Especially with the mind set that authority = racism and white people = the devil.

Evil begets evil, and we are dealing with generations that have been brought up begetting evil.

I tried to make it clear above and maybe I didn't do that so well, but I'm talking only about the hood/ghetto culture not as a whole for all black people.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Criminy... it wasn't enough that it took up nearly 5 hours of programming today. Now they have to show Floyd's funeral on the news too. And there's another "special" about it coming on after the news. Enough is enough. We lost a street criminal, not a beloved head of state or something. Keep things in perspective, please.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

And, there's an element of hypocrisy if certain segments of white culture will, on the one hand, say black people should hold up convicts and foul mouthed performers, while some of those same segments idolize slave owners and foul mouthed reality-TV-star-politicians.

Actually, I haven't heard them say anything about that in the past few weeks between the calls for reparations, but anyway.

All people tend to reject all things related to others except the parts they like. That's human nature. It's not necessarily systemic racism. People make lots of judgements based on people engaging in things that they don't like. It shouldn't matter that those are cultural icons. A person shouldn't have to pretend they like or condone behavior that they think is wrong or harmful just so that people won't think that's racist. Whether it is racist or not depends on what's in the person's mind, not just the fact that they think a given behavior is wrong or harmful.

Calling that institutional racism is a far stretch. Humans make judgements about people's behavior all the time. I think maybe if you must label it pejoratively you might call it being judgemental. There are a lot of those people in the world of every race. I think that would be my first suspicion before "institutional racism" would be.

We don't seem to notice the systemic "isms" for the same type of human judgements for behaviors attached to other cultures. If I were a judgmental person I suppose I could probably find lots to judge about cultures that like country music. Is that a systemic ism too? But if someone doesn't like rap music, holy ****. That's systemic racism, without even putting much thought into it.

Bottom line, simply thinking a behavior a particular group tends to have is not a reliable indicator that systemic racism is underfoot.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Criminy... it wasn't enough that it took up nearly 5 hours of programming today. Now they have to show Floyd's funeral on the news too. And there's another "special" about it coming on after the news. Enough is enough. We lost a street criminal, not a beloved head of state or something. Keep things in perspective, please.

This parrots what my wife said. He was on heroin with fentanyl and trying to pass a $20 bill.
    It's about a black man losing his life in police custody. Who's to say he would still be here if he was in the recovery position. But he wasn't. He died in police custody. That's all that matters to the MSM.

Top Bottom