• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The time on the clock being the same does not make the schedule the same.
    That’s right. If you didn’t have a clock, and you kept time by the sun’s position, you’d be doing things an hour’s worth of sun position different. Whether it’s the schedule or the clock that changes, is relative to what you’re comparing the schedule to. If you’re comparing it to something real, it’s the schedule that’s changing. If you’re comparing it to the time that society says is on the clock, well, that is a social construct.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Once again, I survived the chance from DST. My schedule did not change, the amount of sleep that I got was not affected by the clock. EIther efverythign changed or nothing changed. Much ado and angst over nothing.

Move Indiana to the Central Time Zone.

Very bad idea. We have only two choices in this, very early sunrise and sunset or late sunrise and sunset. That is it. We are far better off aligned with the later time zone. If you want what I call "perfect time" move to the middle of a time zone.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Very bad idea. We have only two choices in this, very early sunrise and sunset or late sunrise and sunset. That is it. We are far better off aligned with the later time zone. If you want what I call "perfect time" move to the middle of a time zone.
    Time zones aren’t perfect. If you’re on the eastern or western edges of a given time zone you might rather be in the next time zone closest to you depending on how light you want it to be when it’s time for you to wake up, or how many hours of daylight you want when you get off work. People are different in those preferences.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Once again, I survived the chance from DST. My schedule did not change, the amount of sleep that I got was not affected by the clock. EIther efverythign changed or nothing changed. Much ado and angst over nothing.

Move Indiana to the Central Time Zone.
    Possibly a lot of people on the west side of Indiana might prefer to stay in Eastern.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How is it different?
    Is it the same when you are in a different time zone and the clock says the same time? Nope. Just because a clock says it is a certain time does not mean the universe just falls into line.

Our bodies have their own internal clocks. Some more noticeable to people than others. Messing with those clocks is what messes with people. My body gets tired at about the same time, wakes up about the same time, gets hungry, etc etc. Changing the clocks means all of those things are happening at inconvenient times after the change. Having to adjust twice a year is getting worse with each passing year.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That’s right. If you didn’t have a clock, and you kept time by the sun’s position, you’d be doing things an hour’s worth of sun position different. Whether it’s the schedule or the clock that changes, is relative to what you’re comparing the schedule to. If you’re comparing it to something real, it’s the schedule that’s changing. If you’re comparing it to the time that society says is on the clock, well, that is a social construct.

A clock is a social construct to allow for a society schedule. We adjusted that clock/society schedule relative to the natural schedule in March to have more daylight after the normal work hours, we just adjusted it back so the sunrise was not mid morning.

The schedule is the same, church started at the same time, TV shows were the same time. The only conflict is when one has an appointment from the natural schedule, like milking cows, and yes, little kids that you cannot make sleep in.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Appropriate?

[video=youtube;9FzCWLOHUes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FzCWLOHUes[/video]

Oddly...not Chicago's best time-themed song. 25 or 6 to [strike] one [/strike] four is more of a rocker, imho.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A clock is a social construct to allow for a society schedule. We adjusted that clock/society schedule relative to the natural schedule in March to have more daylight after the normal work hours, we just adjusted it back so the sunrise was not mid morning.

The schedule is the same, church started at the same time, TV shows were the same time. The only conflict is when one has an appointment from the natural schedule, like milking cows, and yes, little kids that you cannot make sleep in.

That’s not why DST was created. There was a belief that shifting schedules saved energy. The above point was that it is indeed the schedule that is shifted and not just the clock. But also, it’s curious that you say it’s a natural schedule. Maybe therein lies the difference in thinking. Schedules are a social construct. It’s not natural to arbitrarily shift your schedule an hour earlier or later.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Appropriate?

[video=youtube;9FzCWLOHUes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FzCWLOHUes[/video]

Oddly...not Chicago's best time-themed song. 25 or 6 to one is more of a rocker, imho.
    Just replaced my Sony WH-1000XM3’s headphones with the M4’s. Even better. That sounded awesome.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That’s not why DST was created. There was a belief that shifting schedules saved energy. The above point was that it is indeed the schedule that is shifted and not just the clock. But also, it’s curious that you say it’s a natural schedule. Maybe therein lies the difference in thinking. Schedules are a social construct. It’s not natural to arbitrarily shift your schedule an hour earlier or later.

Nothing is natural about a clock. There are natural schedules, the example I gave was the cows don't care what time it is, they need milked at the same interval. Gestation is a natural schedule as is the solstice and equinox.

I dont care care why it was created and the various arguments employed to justify it, bottom line today is most folks like having that daylight in the evening, not morning.

Top Bottom