Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Evening folks. Doing some thinking today.... I know.... BAD IDEA.... Thinking with everything potentially looming for us, maybe it’s time to get back into blackpowder... I had a Pietta 1851 Navy a few years back that I enjoyed. I haven’t dug around to see if the supplies from that are hard to find right now, doubt it. Have been wanting to do a flintlock rifle for a long time.

I’m in. Would love to learn the ways of the black powder pistols and rifles.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All of those are the real deal. Bottom is an American Pepperbox revolver built by Ethan Allen's company. Can only guess at the date, 1830-40 maybe. 32 caliber smooth bore, percussion fired.

Middle is an 18th century pocket flintlock, takes a 50 caliber soft lead ball and a charge of FFFg black powder. Everything works, but I have no idea on the date or who made it. The style is French.

Top is an early Colt 1849, known as the Colt Pocket, 32 caliber it was a big seller for Colt as nobody had anything like it at the time. A favorite of miners and other folks going west followed on by the equally poopulat 1851 Colt Navy in the same caliber.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Evening folks. Doing some thinking today.... I know.... BAD IDEA.... Thinking with everything potentially looming for us, maybe it’s time to get back into blackpowder... I had a Pietta 1851 Navy a few years back that I enjoyed. I haven’t dug around to see if the supplies from that are hard to find right now, doubt it. Have been wanting to do a flintlock rifle for a long time.

I like your style Rusty! I need to pick up some supplies for the 1860 I have. Might be tough to find some right now but might be that a bullet mold in .44 should be doable.

I just read an article online this week about how someone was carrying a BP pistol that got him out of a sticky situation. It’s not what I would choose but if it’s all I had to choose from, I’d rock it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It’s good to see you back in these parts LE. I am always amazed at the history you collection holds. I’ve played with BP clones of the 1860 enough to really appreciate what we have available today but I’d never be dumb enough to discount any one of those that you posted pics in a fight. Lots of graves over the centuries have proven the lethality of the old weapons

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I liked my 1851, but the grip was a little small for my hand. I’ve not handled a 1860, but I’d like to. I’d like to try out a Remington 1858, I love the idea of the easily changed cylinders. Keep a couple of those loaded up and you’re good to go! I’d certainly use one if I absolutely had to!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Picked up the slide for the steel gun today. AllenM has whittled about every bit he can weight wise. This will be the last iteration of this project.
    The windows on the shooters right allow you to see the extractor. If the extractor is removed you can see through the slide in the bottom.IMG_3958.jpgIMG_3959.jpgIMG_3960 (1).jpgIMG_3961 (1).jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom