• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's weird that what one thinks of masks or hydroxychloroquine seems to be more closely related to political stance than scientific research.

Weird, but not surprising.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    CDC: Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' except for close contact with infected patients

The actual CDC guidelines:

[FONT=&amp]How COVID-19 Spreads

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Other LanguagesPrint Page[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly through close contact from person-to-person. Some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus. We are still learning about how the virus spreads and the severity of illness it causes.
    Person-to-person spread

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

• Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
    • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks.
    • These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
    • COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms.
    The virus spreads easily between people

How easily a virus spreads from person-to-person can vary. Some viruses are highly contagious, like measles, while other viruses do not spread as easily. Another factor is whether the spread is sustained, which means it goes from person-to-person without stopping.
    The virus that causes COVID-19 is spreading very easily and sustainably between people. Information from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic suggest that this virus is spreading more efficiently than influenza, but not as efficiently as measles, which is highly contagious.
    The virus does not spread easily in other ways

COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads. It may be possible for COVID-19 to spread in other ways, but these are not thought to be the main ways the virus spreads.

• From touching surfaces or objects. It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus.
    • From animals to people. At this time, the risk of COVID-19 spreading from animals to people is considered to be low. Learn about COVID-19 and pets and other animals.
    • From people to animals. It appears that the virus that causes COVID-19 can spread from people to animals in some situations. CDC is aware of a small number of pets worldwide, including cats and dogs, reported to be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, mostly after close contact with people with COVID-19. Learn what you should do if you have pets.
    Protect yourself and others

The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. You can take steps to slow the spread.

Learn more about what you can do to protect yourself and others.

[/FONT]------------------------------------

Others are disputing the 6 foot guideline. Several countries use a one (1) meter (about 3 feet) guideline.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Clamoring? Yeah, they might be irrational; in the same way that people are decrying mask because you'll die of lack of O2.

Then there's the vast majority of people in the middle that think, "yeah it's no real skin off my nose to put on a mask when I'm in a closed facility with others, and will likely do some good for all."

If CNN is scaring group A with tales of COVID-19, then the Washington Examiner is scaring group B with tales of freedom forever lost.

Reminds me of BBI's short lived avatar.

Yea, I wear a mask because I don’t consider it a big deal and it makes others more comfortable. Might have some benefit for me, also.

The idea that a mask is going to limit your o2 and create a health issue is only possibly true if the mask is tight fitting And seals to your face, like an n95.
    I also think that the idea that a mask that is NOT tight fitting, like a homemade cloth mask, is completely useless ignores the idea that it can contain the spread to some degree (if not through filtration, but also reducing how far your breath/coughs/sneezes travel), reducing everyone’s potential exposure. Risk can be mitigated or managed to various degrees, never eliminated (well, it can be ignored, also).

ive put the rest of my n95s up in case I have to go someplace with higher risk of exposure ( like to the hospital) and have switched to surgical masks for the rare occasion I find an excuse to leave the house...

I recall that countries that historically wore masks, like Taiwan, Had a much better infection/fatality rate.

-rvb

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    It's weird that what one thinks of masks or hydroxychloroquine seems to be more closely related to political stance than scientific research.

Weird, but not surprising.

Most people agree with any other random person on the vast majority of issues. When your belief system is that everything a specific person does or says is wrong, then you will become stupid.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Most people agree with any other random person on the vast majority of issues. When your belief system is that everything a specific person does or says is wrong, then you will become stupid.

Yes, most people I run into are pretty normal. It is the internet that helps people with vastly different belief systems get together to butt heads.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think the whole curfuffle is about control, as usual.
    If a conservative wants to wear a mask, he wears a mask and that is it.
    If a liberal wants to wear a mask he wants everybody else to be forced to wear a mask under penalty of law.

Obviously the liberal is bat**** crazy but that is old news.

I do NOT think the discussion should be about whether masks help or not. That is a separate issue and in my opinion it is so f****** obvious that a good mask does help to some degree that to say otherwise is a losing case.
    Wearing a good mask can help yourself as well as others while wearing underwear on your face probably doesn't help you much at all and can only help anybody else if you are contagious or they just need a chuckle.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've been to my fair share of youth sporting events.

Gov. Desantis may be expecting too much.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Congratulations Gov. Desantis (FL).
    You've shown that you can adjust as new information comes in. Minimize restrictions and remove as many as possible as you learn more about the situation.

State-issued restrictions lifted on all youth activities in Florida

No one will be forced to participate in such activities.

The governor also emphasized that no kids have died from COVID-19 and no one under age 25 has died [from it].
    OK, if that's true, that's serious talking point.

And is that US only?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I think the whole curfuffle is about control, as usual.
    If a conservative wants to wear a mask, he wears a mask and that is it.
    If a liberal wants to wear a mask he wants everybody else to be forced to wear a mask under penalty of law.

yea, when told to do something, it can be a gut reaction to start singing “killing in the name” from Rage Against the Machine....
    ”F you I won’t do what you tell me”

and that’s how this stuff gets politicized.

I know that was my gut reaction when they said churches couldn’t assemble. But Poor decisions often result from gut reactions. My church has decided to continue on-line only past the date required. It was our decision. I can support that decision, while still saying it’s wrong for church leaders to be arrested when their members congregate (especially outside or in-car!) ....separating the virus management from the politics...

take Michigan for instance... had the protestors shown up wearing masks while demanding the state be “opened up,” would they have gotten farther than without masks while carrying rifles? Does a parent given in to Tantrums? Or reasonable requests showing mature capability to handle a situation? Don’t take this as support for the MI govt, it’s not. ... just an example of gut reactions and poor decisions leading to politicizing the responses on both sides.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

And is that US only?

w.o digging further, hard to know what’s “true,” ie were there any contributing illnesses, etc. But there have been reports of child deaths.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/investig...ckened-by-rare-covid-related-illness/2411571/

ETA the IN.gov metrics show 0.1% of deaths in the state were in the 0-19 age group. 0.2% in the 20-29 age group. So maybe that statement was true for FL only?

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

And is that US only?

From the video, it is for the state of Florida.

Other points:
    They've had more total fatalities for those aged 90+ than for those under 65.
    Experience has shown that kids have much less risk from Covid than from the flu and are not major vectors of transmission.

He is paying attention to the data points that are coming out and responding accordingly.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So since this all started, a "higher level" of LEO has been standing inside Kroger.

The one I saw today was all tacticool, chest rig filled up, arm resting on chest-holstered handgun like it was a rifle.

So what kind of people do they have doing these grocery jobs? Newbies?

Cop at Kroger today had like 4 extra mags on the front of his belt.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Other points:
    Experience has shown that kids have much less risk from Covid than from the flu and are not major vectors of transmission.

He is paying attention to the data points that are coming out and responding accordingly.

im hoping schools re-open on similar grounds here. I’d like to see consideration given for situations that warrant it, e.g. allow virtual attendance if older grandparents are the guardians, the kid has some existing medical condition, etc

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Other points:

If that is true that implies the chinese virus spreads mainly by airborne transmission - since kids are fantastic at spreading surface contamination.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom